Schu81

Supernatural Reflexes

4 hours ago, President Jyrgunkarrd said:

it is an entire ship. It's a base to block with, guns to shoot, etc.

This is the most ridiculous argument I think I've ever had about X-Wing. An extra Z-95 can actually win you a game - supernatural reflexes leaves the board with Luke. Do you want to shoot with 5 dice or do you want to shoot with 3 dice and get a sneak in a barrel roll pre-activation (or a boost if you're willing to take attrition)? Oh yeah, and the Z-95 is a point less that SR, which means it even contributes towards a bid win.

I have the very real feeling that you've never faced a competent player with a strong ace + SNR. 

SNR is basically a get out of jail card. You play the game, each time you feel like the engagement is not to your advantage, you can opt to just bail out, and wait for a better opportunity. Each and every turn. You just go : '' nope, i'll lose more here than I can inflict, lemme just boost here, move here, then BR, and now VOILA, instead of 3 shots range 2, i now only face a single range 3 shot. I'll come back in a turn or 2 from the other side of those rocks and see if I can plink someone for 1 damage or 2.'' A ps1 z-95 or tie fighter is totally incapable of doing that, and must instead be actively leveraged in a fight, either as a filler or blocker, to make it's point back. 

And a single z-95 can be more easily trapped and killed for those sweet 25 points, while luke, or god forbid, Kylo, can just run away, keep more than half life, and never give a point.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

They decided to keep making things like SNR and Advance Sensors happen at initiative in the activation phase and both of them turned out to be way too strong and both had have their prices hiked up. 

To where they should be. They're great where they are. They pay for themselves (but only in the right hands) they do offer counterplay (32 points gets you AP-5, 3 torpedoes, or another ship to spread arcs out and catch you with), but they can be as difficult to use to their maximum benefit as they can be to play against when used well.

I like that there are things that just totally screw with the game. It's the same reason I favor objective-based play. You want your squad to be well-rounded, but are they prepared to deal with THAT? The more diverse the threat types are, the more well-rounded and versatile competitive lists must evolve to become.

The only problem is that SR plays toward the same play style that's pretty strong now (high I aces) rather than the things that are weak (generics, blocking, ace-hunting, large ships, etc.). If it were vice versa or if the meta shifted hard against aces, I would like it more.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

5 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Phantoms can't decloak at their initiative after they've seen where every other ship in play has maneuvered, they have to do it in the system phase. Because that's how Phantoms used to work when they first came out in 1.0 and it broke the game completely in half. Being able to reposition your ship after you've seen where all the other ships have moved but before you execute your maneuver devalues the skill of predicting an opponents maneuvers.  

And that's how Supernatural should have worked, in the system phase, but FFG just couldn't help themselves for some reason, even though they made this perfect phase of the game where everything that isn't a normal maneuver-then-action mechanic should be happening, they decided to keep making things like SNR and Advance Sensors happen at initiative in the activation phase and both of them turned out to be way too strong and both had have their prices hiked up.  

Good point! I agree that Supernatural Reflexes should have worked in the system phase. That seems to be a good solution. Apart from that... this upgrade would be cheaper then, so I could still use it :)

1 hour ago, Schu81 said:

Good point! I agree that Supernatural Reflexes should have worked in the system phase. That seems to be a good solution. Apart from that... this upgrade would be cheaper then, so I could still use it :)

You can still use it now; you're just required to go all-in on it.

Which is fair, given it creates ships that can solo entire lists in the right situation.

14 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

You can still use it now; you're just required to go all-in on it.

Which is fair, given it creates ships that can solo entire lists in the right situation.

Basically you kinda have to be able to solo lists with what you’re paying for it.

It’s like buying that upgrade is a way of saying “I’m up for the challenge!”

I have a sneaky suspicion that every single person in this thread, who feels that SNR is priced right, are people who are not using it themselves and/or had trouble meeting it in the past. Don't bother countering it, as your words are just, well words, after all.

I never did get around to try SNR myself, and it's surely not going to happen now. Had an idea to put Mace in a list with SNL, to get a free interesting red maneuver in a couple of times. Until I discovered that even at Init 4 it is still 16 points. That is more expensive than a 1.0 HLC! Maybe the cost should have a steeper exponential drop? I don't know. It's a dead card to me now anyway.

I feel like they nailed the also relatively expensive Delta-7B title cost. It was auto include for me before. Now I have to make a real hard choice between the two titles, and my lists have become a mixture of the two. That's coming from not wanting to touch Calibrated with a ten foot pole before.