Sign in to follow this  
Talism

Area Terrain, How do you treat it?

So i've started to do demo games to try recruit some of my friends who play other miniature war games into Legion.

Now i've run across other gamers a few times, that they like to play area terrain as provides cover  while inside to both teams,

so if one team is inside the area terrain, it has say light cover

if the other team then comes inside , they get light cover and so does the opponent rather then both having no cover.

Does any one else play it this way or follow the rule that neither side would have cover while inside the light cover area terrain?

We play that as long as any part of the are terrain is between the attacking and defending unit, the defender gets cover. Providing that the area terrain is high enough to obscure of course.

We play by the rules, so if the unit leader is touching, the area provides no cover to their targets.

This is also thematic, because if you are inside a clump of foliage it is easier to make out the smaller openings within said terrain and exploit those. If you aren't, you only see a clump of terrain, so you can't exploit it as those inside can.

We’ve always handled area cover as written: if your leader is inside the cover  you ignore it for shooting out. Our pieces of area terrain aren’t really big enough to allow for multiple units inside them shooting at each other - odds are good they’re much closer to melee at that point than one wants to be.

Never had an issue, because we try to apply as much common sense as possible to help fill in the gaps for the rules themselves.

If you're both in the woods you don't get cover.

But for special scenarios if we made a big dense forest we'd either give everyone cover, or limit visibility within the forest. So for example you could quarter the table up with 2 roads that meet at a right angle near the center of the board, and scatter every tree model you own in the 4 parts of the table that are cordoned off by roads. Anything in that area is a dense forest that limits visibility to range 1. Control of that crossroads would get really interesting...

Like everyone says above, when I'm playing in our league, where people KEEP SCORE, I follow the rules procedures as closely as possible, and treat area terrain as no cover if both unit leaders are in base contact.

HOWEVER, toss that when I'm playing at home, or for fun, cause to me, the terrain and its complexity is half the fun. I've made pieces of terrain that feature multiple things, like a 12"x12" square with water, bushes, and trees. In the league, it's area, light cover, following the rules in the book, etc. At home, it's light cover, if you want to traverse over the water features, it's difficult movement, if not, it's clear movement.

Most of the terrain I'm making at home, though, i would not carry to the store because of all that built-in complexity, since I'm making it mostly for aesthetics and I'd rather cover my board 75%+ with terrain :P

As always, very clearly and plainly define what terrain does with your opponent before each game.

I mean, the rules do allow you to define how terrain works by mutual agreement, so playing with area terrain as providing both cover is fine if you both agree.

Now, personally I've done a bunch of different things depending on the terrain itself.

8x10" clump of scattered wreckage -> heavy, difficult and all trooper units get light cover when in it even to each other.

2x4" areas of scattered trees, some pressed against each other to make larger tree areas -> light, difficult and LOS blocking, but not if you share the same base.

3" diamater industrial structure -> heavy cover if obscured and trooper bases are touching it, even if enemy is also touching same structure.

Etc..

2 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

I mean, the rules do allow you to define how terrain works by mutual agreement, so playing with area terrain as providing both cover is fine if you both agree.

As usual, the Cap't Rock It is right.

We used to play areas of forest were cover but individual model trees blocked LOS. It was a different time! That approach accounted for the impossibility of modelling real woods while still moving figures around. Much like how we call two sheds* a "village": a whole battlefield in Legion is the size of a large building like a Wal-Mart we can't actually fit a village on our tables.

*Don't tell renowned composer Arthur Jackson I said that, he won't like it.