Jump to content
Mostarda2

How to improve?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mostarda2 said:

Hello! I open this topic! 3 months ago, and I've played the same list ever since. I got some good results, but in today's tournament I ended up not knowing what to do against two lists which gave me a dismay. How long should a list be insisted on? I don't know if I continue or leave for another totally different...

So personally I like to experiment a lot with different lists, but I know others like to pick one thing and stick with it.  By now I'm sure you've got the basics down and are pretty good with your list.  That said, not every list is good against every situation. You may have just run up against a couple of list archetypes that yours isn't good against. These situations aren't necessarily unbeatable, but sometimes the deck is just stacked against your list.

There is no right answer to your question. I'd say if you like your list, keep playing it. If you're getting bored, or the locals are getting tired of your list (some lists are more fun than others to play against), then maybe try some new things until you find something else you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 1:28 AM, Pink_Viking said:

Also never blame the dice. 

Unless they legitimately do make it impossible to win. Such as in a recent match where I kept rolling all hits and crits, and my opponent kept rolling nothing but blanks for both offense and defense Didn't matter how many rerolls he had available, if he focused, or had other dice mods. He'd result with all blanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I can add to this great advice is don't become predictable!. I got my best friend addicted to this game and we play at least once a week. It didn't take me long to realise that about 90% of the time he would clear a stress on the next move. That limited his available moves and made it easy to block or bushwack him. I eventually told him about the "tell" and he became much harder to predict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mostarda2 said:

Hello! I open this topic! 3 months ago, and I've played the same list ever since. I got some good results, but in today's tournament I ended up not knowing what to do against two lists which gave me a dismay. How long should a list be insisted on? I don't know if I continue or leave for another totally different...

If you REALLY want to get good at it, you will search out games against specific list types.  You will need to either convince your friends to try certain list types or you will need to find those players.   Only by playing against them can you really figure it out.   Each one is different.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, heychadwick said:

If you REALLY want to get good at it, you will search out games against specific list types.  You will need to either convince your friends to try certain list types or you will need to find those players.   Only by playing against them can you really figure it out.   Each one is different.  

This.  In addition, try flying the lists that give you trouble!  Even if you don't have everything needed, you can often borrow ships and/or proxy cards you don't have.  I've found that flying a list even just a handful of times helps a lot with understanding what kinds of situations it doesn't want to be stuck in, which in turn helps me understand how to counter it.  And as a bonus, it's a good way to keep the game fresh and avoid burnout :)

Edited by bitsai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you think you lost those matches?

Do you think your list was missing something? Was there something that made you think, "if only I had X in my list, I would know what to do here"?

Or, do you feel that you had the correct tools, but you weren't sure how to use them? Instead of, "if only I had X," is there a way one of the parts of your list can be used like X? Could it, if it were modified slightly (a bomb might give area denial; torpedo can boost an alpha strike)?

While I agree that practicing one list is good, in most cases I think you can still make small changes to it as you play. Changing some upgrades around is not the same as swapping out one of your aces in exchange for a mini swarm. Although, either of those is still a smaller change than switching to a whole new list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Faerie1979 said:

Unless they legitimately do make it impossible to win. Such as in a recent match where I kept rolling all hits and crits, and my opponent kept rolling nothing but blanks for both offense and defense Didn't matter how many rerolls he had available, if he focused, or had other dice mods. He'd result with all blanks.

While it's fine to acknowledge when dice variance happens, there's a difference between accepting it happened and moving on, and obsessing over to the exclusion everything else -- and too many people go straight to the latter. At the end of the day, the dice really are beyond our control, so it's always better to look for something constructive you had control over.

Case in point from a recent game of mine: my opponent flew a much better game than me, but AP-5 rolled 11/11 natural evades and thus bought me the time I needed to recover from my atrocious opening. However, my opponent also went for an easily blocked K-turn on his Vader that left him trapped in front of a torpedo-packing Luke. This was on the same turn that AP-5's defence dice went back to normal and Soontir finished him off, so if my opponent hadn't made that move he would have been in a reasonable position despite the dice variance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DR4CO said:

While it's fine to acknowledge when dice variance happens, there's a difference between accepting it happened and moving on, and obsessing over to the exclusion everything else -- and too many people go straight to the latter. At the end of the day, the dice really are beyond our control, so it's always better to look for something constructive you had control over.

Case in point from a recent game of mine: my opponent flew a much better game than me, but AP-5 rolled 11/11 natural evades and thus bought me the time I needed to recover from my atrocious opening. However, my opponent also went for an easily blocked K-turn on his Vader that left him trapped in front of a torpedo-packing Luke. This was on the same turn that AP-5's defence dice went back to normal and Soontir finished him off, so if my opponent hadn't made that move he would have been in a reasonable position despite the dice variance.

Also true. Playing Blood Bowl has taught me to expect the middle of the road results, plan for the worst results, and be pleasantly surprised when things go my way by a landslide. Also to see the humor when things go badly. While sometimes there's absolutely nothing you could have done, more often then not you can at least mitigate the risks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...