Goldsquadronpodcast

Way Too Early Faction Rankings! - X-wing 2nd Edition Summer 2019

If you are talking way too early, first impressions, I think you are a little too granular in your ratings.  Especially at the very top and the very bottom of any such list, there's just too much proximity at this time to assign absolute values.  Or so I think. 

I think that at the very top it's going to be Rebels/Imperials/Republic duking it out for top dog.  Sure, Beef got hit, but Rebels are full of beef and synergy.  Imperials hardly took a hit at all outside of their top dog, and all their pieces are solid.  And the Jedi with all of their Force powers were basically untouched - Delta 7B was little more than easy mode - and the Naboo looks very, very good.

I place Resistance/First Order in the middle, ready to jump up and supplant one of those top-heavy factions.  Resistance because I think the new crew is solid, but the new chassis is...maybe less solid?  First Order is the sleeper.  It is so much better than people give it credit.  And I wish I hadn't sold all of mine off.

And Scum and CIS are still stuck down at the bottom.  I don't think there's much of an argument against this, except perhaps which one is actually in the worse place.

Republic and Empire seem to be duking it out for 1 and 2.  Empire still has a good bench even post nerfs and Republic is still coming out strong with solid beef and ace lists.  They seem like they'll be the factions to beat whether it be TIE swarms, aces, Republic beef, etc, they both have strong archetypes.

None of the "key" pieces for Resistance i.e. the stuff that was putting up good results pre-Republic/CIS got buffed.  Key pieces were Nien, Poe, Tallie, Generic A's, L'ulo's all of which stayed the same or went up.  Star Fortresses and Falcons were, at best, a dark horse for Resistance.  Unless the Transport proves to be an amazing pick, I see them as a mid tier, if the transport is a non-starter, they're fighting FO to not be dead last.  All of their problems of awkward points spreads are still applicable.

Rebels took a big hit.  They move to the mid-tier miasma.  The "chassis" may have stayed the same, but the chassis weren't enough in previous metas and the Rebels were carried by specific pilots/crews that all got hit.

Tend to agree on FO

Scum and CIS are the big question marks for me.  Hyena's are really good (preliminary thought, but after powering through some initial impressions of "meh", they open up listbuilding a lot) and Struts dropping to 1pt can make droids cancer to try and fly against on top of a lot of cost reductions.  Scum is hard to ever count out, nothing is immediately yelling at me "top meta", but there could very well be a good list hiding out there.

Haven't had a chance to listen, but this came out after I already had a poll up on the same thing. The forums came to the following conclusion, irrespective of specific archetypes:

image.png.1960259feedc8b688a1d012b9e57bdaa.png

Or in an alternative view:

image.png.be61373bfaf7a1f6639d375dc97b5e81.png

Resistance is basically the only one that looks like a bell curve. People are super down on Scum and CIS. 

I am pretty confused about Resistance getting the top spot here. The empire and Rebellion were neck and neck for first before the change and the Imps came through mostly unscathed. My personal ranking is:

1-Empire 

2-Rebels

3-Republic 

4-FO(Kylo double ups still fits)

5-Scum

6-Resistance 

15-CIS

Here's a fairly mild example of CiS insanity:

Searing Barrage

(39) Captain Sear [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(5) TA-175

(19) Trade Federation Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges
(1) Grappling Struts

(19) Trade Federation Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges
(1) Grappling Struts

(26) Techno Union Bomber [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(1) Landing Struts
(5) Energy-Shell Charges
(5) DRK-1 Probe Droids

(26) Techno Union Bomber [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(1) Landing Struts
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(30) DBS-404 [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(1) Landing Struts
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

Total points: 199

Who the **** even knows how well you can abuse Struttin' your stuff!?

(Note, if you want to be a boring sod, just use a hyena with ESC + probe & 5 ESC trade fed vultures; no struts because you hate fun)

Republic is definitely most-improved faction The only nerfs were Ani (by a smidge) 7B (very appropriate), and R2 (much-needed), while basically everything else took enormous price cuts. Imps and Rebels are largely the same as before. Scum is looking very sad but hopefully a little better. CIS is mainly disappointed by the pricing and some slots of the Hyena and the much-needed but overdone nerf to Hate. Resistance is solidly in the camp of "Good." First Order is solidly in the camp of "Good but Boring."

For initial impressions, there's a clear top three (Republic, Imps and, Rebels), a clear middle two (First Order and Resistance), and a clear bottom two (Scum and CIS).

Whether the meta actually shakes out that way remains to be seen. There are a lot of buffs that have gone mostly under the radar. Factions that were previously held up by a handful of pilots and saw those pilots nerfed are lamenting those nerfs while largely ignoring the buffs, which to me is outright silly. In most cases, existing lists with one of those pilots were unchanged while most lists without those pilots were massively improved. The only ones that were hurt were the big meta lists that used all those pilots at once, which were silly strong anyway.

What is certain is that the meta will change and it will almost certainly improve in diversity (both across factions and within factions).

Republic didn't get any ENORMOUS buffs other than stuff that was just starkly worthless being costed more reasonably (arcball, named torrents and CLT for example)

Enormous buffs would've been like a 5 point 7th fleet gunner or something, not formerly worthless junk being maybe useable

I would call it an improvement because the faction is much more internally balanced, but there's an important distinction between that and its upper limit of power being raised (which is not the case, see regen "nerf" on delta-bs) 

Excepting Ole! of course 

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Republic didn't get any ENORMOUS buffs other than stuff that was just starkly worthless being costed more reasonably (arcball, named torrents and CLT for example)

Other than Obii Wan -6 and Plo Koon -7 this is technically correct (although those are 2 pretty big pieces).  However, the Empire, Rebels and CIS received significant points increases to their strongest lists.  So even minor point reductions coupled with 0 point raises sums a stronger net gain for the faction.  

I think calling them the most improved is fair, especially with the addition of some stronger pilots. 

Eh, "most improved" would have to go FO for me for having both TIEs scale down 2 points on almost all pilots. Ups getting a minor increase doesn't really damper two whole ship types being potentially viable options, imo. 

Plus passive sensor shenanigans on the SF

My kneejerk is republic is probably top dog from a first glance, super obvious that ole! is bull perspective, but it's not like they were dolled out heaps of buffs as much as "fixed", if you get my meaning

Besides, if people paid any attention to minor point reductions, you'd think they'd be happier with scum. Yeah yeah, Drea got butched and Guri got a whole point more (gasp!) but since the relative power curve has (theoretically) been smoothed out their hyperspace game should be in a much better place.

I guess my point is people tend to over/underreact to what's going on with point changes. Some **** got hammered (Drea) and about everything else got fixed. Stuff that was stupid isn't suddenly "dead", like Lulu still costing less than an I 1 t-75 for example

I don't want people to see factions being enormously buffed or w.e as much as ffg attempting to bring **** more or less in line 

18 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Besides, if people paid any attention to minor point reductions, you'd think they'd be happier with scum.

Agreed, though it's a little odd where the buffs were and weren't applied. Most of the buffs were very measured. IGs only lost a point or so. Scyks didn't change at all. The big enigmas are the Jump, the Kimogila, and the Kihraxz, which don't really have known synergies or loadouts but are starting to look appealingly cheap just by statline. There's probably a sleeper hit in there somewhere but no one knows what.

Scum also majorly missed out on the crew/gunner buffs. They hardly got any, and Maul went up a point. I mean I'm all for nerfing the highest-performing cards, but in some cases it's more because everything else is overpriced than because one is particularly good.

Contraband Cybernetics will surely help. Some of the other named Firesprays may be better, and free R5-TK could be really weird or interesting.

And of course missiles need to come down 2 points as I have always said and keep saying and will continue to say until they do it.

One big thing in Scum is the ig buffs probably won't amount to much, but hey it's Palob again!

Everyone's Favorite!

(68) IG-88A [Aggressor Assault Fighter]
(1) Crack Shot
(1) IG-2000

(65) IG-88C [Aggressor Assault Fighter]
(1) Crack Shot
(1) IG-2000

(40) Palob Godalhi [HWK-290 Light Freighter]
(18) Moldy Crow
(3) IG-88D
(2) Engine Upgrade

Total points: 200

Yay!

Anyway, having small point drops in such quantity is bound to open up something for anyone who cares to look.

Only "issue" is Hyperspace, where Scum basically sits on its Fangs and Vipers. Now, these guys all got indirectly better (except guri's utter travesty of a 1 point increase!!!) with the dumber stuff getting adjusted.

Hyperspace scum seems very boring because it's basically just those two ships (+ the Tie?)  for the foreseeable future, but hey they're good ships for whoever wants to use em. 

EDIT: playing around on Launchbay, is the Mining Guild Surveyor really only 26 points with crackshot!?

That sounds super decent!

35 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Put it on the table...

Pft

You want Ficklegreendice to put TIE fighters on the table!?

...well I would, if only to get the love of my life (Xizor) back out there, but I'm **** broke

At a glance, though, the MGS' ability to ignore rocks while moving can be likened to the Starviper's sensor slot (collision detectors; advanced sensors)

MGS a new hope?

(54) Prince Xizor [StarViper-class Attack Platform]
(10) Advanced Sensors
(2) Predator

(30) Captain Seevor [Modified TIE/ln Fighter]

(25) Mining Guild Surveyor [Modified TIE/ln Fighter]
(1) Crack Shot

(1) Crack Shot

(1) Crack Shot

(1) Crack Shot

Total points: 200

+Obviously use Guri instead

Now the realist in me knows it won't shine competitively for the same reason Vulture swarms don't (hi, my name!). Still, I just wanted to share an example of me suddenly discovering a thing I never knew about the faction. 

anyway, I can't try it now. I'm already championing CiS! Ironically Ive arrived at a similar theory there (instead of MGS, struts!)

15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

At a glance, though, the MGS' ability to ignore rocks asteroids while moving

Necessary correction since so many use "rocks" to mean obstacles in general... They ignore only asteroids while moving, Debris and Gas Clouds have full effect on MGTs (and MGS could also mean the I1 Mining Guild Sentry). As for Crack Shot Surveyors... :( Was discussed at first, it being I2 was the death knell.

Why would a cloud (debris or gas) be a rock? 

Or is it a debris field?

People are silly

But yeah, i2 and its statline are legitimate concerns. Biggest thing is, unlike struts, they can't just sit on a rock since they only ignore it while moving.

Also HOT TAKE ON CiS:

...I suck at flying them 

7 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Republic is definitely most-improved faction The only nerfs were Ani (by a smidge) 7B (very appropriate), and R2 (much-needed), while basically everything else took enormous price cuts.

I'd make the distinction that if republic is actually the "winner" it will be less because of their price cuts and more because of their new release.   I mean, in the end, the most competitive republic pieces all took point increases (Anakin, 7B, and Regen droid), and those weren't exactly dominating the meta -- they were just key components to the Republic's top lists.   CLT dropped (but there's a lot of confusion out there about whether it's enough) and some Jedi dropped, but it's a bit deceiving because most are actually more expensive with 7B.    Other than that, named arcs and torrents dropped a bit (though again, I don't know if they'll be worth it).   So, unless CLT is really game changing at it's current cost, I really don't know that Republic got "better"unless it's the thanks to new stuff or that everything else got relatively worse.

Edited by AlexW

Hot take 2: i now have no idea what people were moaning about when hate got bumped to 9

Hate Sith are ridiculous. After running both Dooku + Palp and Maul + Dooku (Grevious both times, ofc), I can't see how anyone considered them fair before. 

They're nightmares to try to focus down while hate keeps proccing extra palps & dookus (both crew and pilot!) 

So yeah, hate Sith still amazing. (Note not double Sith; only used one)

Need more time on Hyenas. They're squish, but I'm not convinced it's entirely their fault. Dookrew + networked REALLY helps.

gonna try the buffed 0-66, who can carry kraken and dookrew while remaining significantly cheaper than hate Sith

Its personal prowess obviously won't compare to the Hate Sith, but its ability to carry Kraken at reasonable cost could be big.