Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Fine, I’ll admit it, I want to see units of them at GenCon

49 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

When the ewoks arrived, Star Wars went from a semi-serious and dramatic space opera, to a family friendly pop culture experience, aiming to appease everyone. 

Or... it was a lot easier to find a few dozen extra short actors than a few dozen extra tall actors.

54 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

When the ewoks arrived, Star Wars went from a semi-serious and dramatic space opera, to a family friendly pop culture experience, aiming to appease everyone. 

They should have been Wookiees, but then again, who needs another Christmas special?🤪😳😂

2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Point of order: Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back always strived to be family friendly. Honestly now that I have kids of my own, I find ROTJ to be the most problematic OT movie to show them someday.

Jaba feeding a go-go dancer to his Rancor when she refuses his slimy advances? Check.

Leia implicitly turned into a sex slave? Check.

I mean, at least it doesn’t have the domestic violence and implied child murder of Episode 3 right?

Fuzzy omnivores that have no apparent compunction when it comes to sacrificing/eating sapient beings is pretty much gliding past the radar compared to all that. 

24 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

YES PLEASE BRING ME MY BATTLE BEARS!!!

Totes. I love the ewoks.

On a bad day, a man in metal plate armor can be killed by a strong blow from another man with a good club. Stormtrooper armor appears to be less effective (precisely because it's lighter in weight) than metal plate armor against melee weapons. Ewoks appear to have arms the diameter of men's thighs. You do the math.

18 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Jaba feeding a go-go dancer to his Rancor

It's interesting to me that this is a running theme with Jabba. He feeds her to the Rancor. Tries to feed Luke to the Rancor. And when that doesn't work, he tries to feed THREE people to the Sarlaac? Seems like it's deeply ingrained in Hutt culture based on how Jabba eats live snacks.

31 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's interesting to me that this is a running theme with Jabba. He feeds her to the Rancor. Tries to feed Luke to the Rancor. And when that doesn't work, he tries to feed THREE people to the Sarlaac? Seems like it's deeply ingrained in Hutt culture based on how Jabba eats live snacks.

Yeah definitely a thing for him. I know it was only made after the fact, but Jaba doesn’t seem to have developed a healthy respect for Jedi lethality after Darth Maul forced all the Hutts to kowtow at the end of the Clone Wars. Like, you’d think he’d be utterly terrified of a force user, as any rational being might be. 

9 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Yeah definitely a thing for him. I know it was only made after the fact, but Jaba doesn’t seem to have developed a healthy respect for Jedi lethality after Darth Maul forced all the Hutts to kowtow at the end of the Clone Wars. Like, you’d think he’d be utterly terrified of a force user, as any rational being might be. 

It's almost like Star Wars has become a labyrinth of illogical retcons or something.

5 hours ago, lologrelol said:

That’s just because you didn’t realize they are based off pygmie cannibals.  They ate those stormtroopers 

6 hours ago, lologrelol said:

You know this sentiment comes up a lot...

In my opinion the genius of Star Wars always was that it gave us both a family friendly pop culture experience that also created a world of dramatic space opera with a real serious respect for how that world and the characters in it were crafted.

Some of us could fall in love with the rollicking fairy tale adventure with silly robot straight men and fuzzy giant Sasquatch aliens and adorable little beeping bots, all as endearing as Dorothy's companions. Some could fall in love with the iconic heroes, that felt as exciting as a pulp serial. Some could fall in love with the attention to detail and the sci fi world that felt actually real.

As I've grown older I've grown to appreciate all sides more and now I realize I don't have to chose.

I can love Ewoks for being adorable space teddy bears, *and* love them for being deceptively powerful warriors that can beat an over confident and technologocally superior occupying force through a mix of cleverness and home field advantage... sometimes even I love them for both at the same time!

I plan on being “done” with my rebel faction once I catch up on a couple of missed releases and then post- rebel veterans and tauntauns.

I will absolutely, positively make an exception for any and all Ewok subfaction minis.

4 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

That’s just because you didn’t realize they are based off pygmie cannibals.  They ate those stormtroopers 

I feel like the cannibal aspect of Ewoks is always overplayed in hindsight in an attempt to make the species seem more threatening. I've said it before, but there's a reason the first Ewok movie was Caravan of Courage and not Wicket's Feast of Flesh.

18 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

I feel like the cannibal aspect of Ewoks is always overplayed in hindsight in an attempt to make the species seem more threatening. I've said it before, but there's a reason the first Ewok movie was Caravan of Courage and not Wicket's Feast of Flesh.

Plus it’s not cannibalism unless they eat other Ewoks. 

35 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

It was a good harvest that year.

9 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Point of order: Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back always strived to be family friendly. Honestly now that I have kids of my own, I find ROTJ to be the most problematic OT movie to show them someday.

I mean empire strikes back doesnt exactly show the ideal model for consent, given how Leia keeps telling han she isnt interested. 

9 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

You know this sentiment comes up a lot...

In my opinion the genius of Star Wars always was that it gave us both a family friendly pop culture experience that also created a world of dramatic space opera with a real serious respect for how that world and the characters in it were crafted.

Some of us could fall in love with the rollicking fairy tale adventure with silly robot straight men and fuzzy giant Sasquatch aliens and adorable little beeping bots, all as endearing as Dorothy's companions. Some could fall in love with the iconic heroes, that felt as exciting as a pulp serial. Some could fall in love with the attention to detail and the sci fi world that felt actually real.

As I've grown older I've grown to appreciate all sides more and now I realize I don't have to chose.

I can love Ewoks for being adorable space teddy bears, *and* love them for being deceptively powerful warriors that can beat an over confident and technologocally superior occupying force through a mix of cleverness and home field advantage... sometimes even I love them for both at the same time!

Originally the ewoks were going to be tall lizard like warriors.

George had checks on him in A New Hope and Empire because of the producers. Once he gained full control the universe lost a lot of its sensibility.

Hence the rapid downfall that was the prequels (even though I really liked the prequels as a 10 year old) and the dumb comedic caricatures that were half of the aliens/robots in those movies.

Sometimes it only takes one or two elements of a product to damage the entire thing. Ewoks really destroy my sense of disillusionment when watching star wars. When small creatures with prehistoric stone weapons can quite convincingly take down a cohort of future soldiers with rapid firing laser rifles and cannons, I find it hard to take the whole enterprise seriously.

The problem with having a mixture of dramatic/serious and comedic/whimsical parts of a film, is that it makes it hard to maintain a sense of the tone of the film.

I often just skip the Endor scenes because I find them so ridiculous.

Lore has it Ewoks was a budget consideration. They were cheaper to do than a bunch of wookiees. Them being marketing genus was a happy accident.

I will agree that the Endor comedy doesn't mix well with the intensity of the Emperor scenes. Keep in mind this was the early 80's and the formula for mixing in humor into a serious scifi action sequence without breaking disbelieve wasn't finely tuned yet. Those Marvel movies have spoiled us but they aren't as good as they are without Lucas. Film is an evolving media. Let the old films exist in the time they were made.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, lologrelol said:

When small creatures with prehistoric stone weapons can quite convincingly take down a cohort

Well they didn't, so don't worry! They just bought time for Han to blow up the shield generator. No one ever sees that past the "Cute can't defeat tough looking!" impulse. The Ewoks are losing that battle. But even if they won, history if full of such things: People with swords and spears sometimes defeated armies with gatling guns and artillery and breach loading rifles in Colonial warfare. So I have no trouble believing it. But if a scene doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. For what it's worth, I ignore most of the saber duel in ROTJ cause the banter between Luke/Vader/Emperor I find to be over the top and corny. The space battle happening at the same time is very nasty, gritty stuff for a kids movie and I love it. Different strokes.

You ever go deer hunting? Animals are pretty impressive. Even with all our tech, that contest is decidedly slanted towards the deer, which is why people are proud of the ones they get. If you gave deer communication and an understanding of what guns and tree stands are, no one would ever bag a deer again. I really don't have any issue believing the Ewoks could pull off what we saw in that film.

10 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Originally the ewoks were going to be tall lizard like warriors.

Implying cuteness is your issue. Would lizards have been ok in your book?

George had checks on him in A New Hope and Empire because of the producers. Once he gained full control the universe lost a lot of its sensibility.

Yeah the flaws get worse over time. ROTJ is the least cohesive part of the OT and I would say a worse film than Rogue One. What were minor cracks in ANH become bigger and bigger systemic issues that are gaining real steam by ROTJ (though the Ewoks I don't consider part of this), and then the special editions add a little more, not much though. Then in the prequels these things become totally unwieldly. Nothing is perfect but by the early 00's, cracks that were once just part of the charm had grown to ruin the foundation of the house. The sequels I don't find a whole lot better than the prequels. Between the two newer trilogies and Solo, everything that made Star Wars stand out as its own genre (which the Ewoks very much helped to establish) has been eroded away. At least Hollywood gave me Rogue One and Fury Road. Other than those I've been disappointed by what all my old favorites (Star Wars, Alien, Terminator, Predator) have turned into during and after the 90's.

But I should have seen this coming, when I saw what kinds of novels the powers were willing to put the Star Wars name on in the 90's.

Edited by TauntaunScout

14 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Well they didn't, so don't worry! They just bought time for Han to blow up the shield generator. No one ever sees that past the "Cute can't defeat tough looking!" impulse. The Ewoks are losing that battle. But even if they won, history if full of such things: People with swords and spears sometimes defeated armies with gatling guns and artillery and breach loading rifles in Colonial warfare. So I have no trouble believing it. But if a scene doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. For what it's worth, I ignore most of the saber duel in ROTJ cause the banter between Luke/Vader/Emperor I find to be over the top and corny. The space battle happening at the same time is very nasty, gritty stuff for a kids movie and I love it. Different strokes.

You ever go deer hunting? Animals are pretty impressive. Even with all our tech, that contest is decidedly slanted towards the deer, which is why people are proud of the ones they get. If you gave deer communication and an understanding of what guns and tree stands are, no one would ever bag a deer again. I really don't have any issue believing the Ewoks could pull off what we saw in that film.

While I disagree with a lot of the rest, this part is spot on.

Posted (edited)

I've started more and more to support my theory that the Empire started to struggle on resources as we start watching the Original Trilogy. As the trilogy goes on, we watch the stormtrooper armor get worse and the weapons they carry get less accurate. The Empire is trying to save money to pay for that Death Star project, or maybe just to pay the insurance bills they keep racking up. :D

By the time we get to ROTJ, the soldiers can't see or hear out of the armor, their blasters wouldn't hit anything if they could see what they were shooting at, and their armor was little more than plastic. But as long as they APPEARED as the Emperor's finest, it wouldn't really matter. That's what the lowest contract bidder gets ya!

Edited by crx3800