CoffeeMinion

Effective Quadding

So the forum’s back working again? Nice!

Finally got to try flying my Quadjumpers today. (I got one back in 1.0 and 2 more when their price tanked on Amazon.) What a rough experience, though! Looking for some help making these guys work.

My opponent’s list is very much worth mentioning here: 5 A-wings, all with Cluster Missiles, most with Crack Shot, and two of those were Arvel and Jake with sundry other nasty add-ons. My opponent also won initiative, and therefore got to move & shoot first with his initiative 1 stuff. IMO this made for an extremely rough match-up, because he was able to set up excruciating blocks and massive parking lots, which played perfectly into his whole Cluster thing.

On my end, I ran all three Quads with Pattern Analyzer. I also had Torkil in the Moldy Crow, and a Tac Officer L3-37. I think something that really worked against me was not being able to move first and set up blocks; I purposely went really low-I to try to get that. Guess next time I’ll bring a bigger bid!

But I keep digressing. I’ve flown some bricks before, but the Quads had some surprising clunkiness that didn’t really sneak up on me until they were stressed. The turn when I stressed them was fine; I felt suitably clever that I could still get an action. But after that, I was shocked to realize how limited the Quad’s blues are! It was almost enough to make me wish I’d done something else like Primed Thrusters, or maybe Contraband Cybernetics with Jabba crammed on a YV-666.

So I dunno. How do you guys like to load and fly your Quads? And what do you do if you run up against a bunch of weenies who manage to fly before them?

7 minutes ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I had a Quad with Prox Mines and Pattern Analyzer in a list I like; Kavil, 4-LOM, and a Mining TIE, but I guess the last points adjustment bumped some things up and I had to shuffle out the bomber Quad in favor of another TIE.

The increases to turrets and Vet Tur Gunner would have likely done that.

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The increases to turrets and Vet Tur Gunner would have likely done that.

It was Debris Gambit on 4-LOM, and Trick Shot; I might still shuffle some things around to keep the Quad in but since I bought an extra MGT I'm trying them out as a pair in some of my Scum lists.

4 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

So the forum’s back working again? Nice!

Yea i was wondering why both yesterday and today, i was having issues replying to topics..  Was wonderin if i was just me, or the forum had a glitch.. 

1 hour ago, stuffedskullcat said:

a Quad with Prox Mines and Pattern Analyzer

Were you able to get good value out of the mines? And which pilot did you run? Constable Zuvio strikes me as the prime Prox candidate; it’s like adding guaranteed damage if you can set it up the turn before.

I guess the two problems I see are that Quads get expensive fast as you start filling their slots, and you really want to be using their tractor array, otherwise why take them? Without the array, they seem somewhat comparable to Republic Torrents—but you’re paying for that dang array, which makes them a bit too expensive to be filler.

I played three of them at the beginning of the year. Later, it came down to one in a salad list. I like Unkar a lot, in a list with one quad I would always use him. 

I prefer to have them cheap, so no upgrades. If the points allow it, a pattern analyzer maybe, but that's a lot of points. 

Losing a quad early is what I expect from a typical game. People hate them and/or are scared of them. So if you want to keep them in the game, a juicy damage sponge is needed imo. 

In the end, I don't play them at the moment. My go to tractor dealer is Ketsu. 

Ketsu, Unkar Plutt. They both like bumping into enemy ships.

Give Ketsu her title, Fearless, and either 000 or Maul to get some dice mods.

I also enjoyed running Latts Razzi in her YV666, to get even more unavoidable tractor effects, but the list would be better with more quads instead.

The biggest issue you faced, though, was that it's very hard to pin down multiple A-wings - particularly with your list, which needs actions to do anything.

I like running Deadman’s Switch on my Quads. They are trying to be at range 1 and will die eventually so why not have some extra damage when they do. I also send two at one target to make sure one gets there. My third will be a turn behind to make sure I get the Tractor off next turn.

I usually run Kath or Han and a shuttle to go with them.

Posted (edited)

You know, it just occurred to me that the Quadjumper is the only ship with both Tech and Illicit slots, and it's also scum.

Technically, doesn't that mean you can take Pattern Analyzer and Contraband Cybernetics, then bring Jabba along, and do 2 actions a turn for 4 turns, while flying backward?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

2 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

You know, it just occurred to me that the Quadjumper is the only ship with both Tech and Illicit slots, and it's also scum.

Technically, doesn't that mean you can take Pattern Analyzer and Contraband Cybernetics, then bring Jabba along, and do 2 actions a turn for 4 turns, while flying backward?

Technically yes... In application? That is allot of stress to burn off and there is a fair bit out there just drooling for a target like that.

I’ve had fun with Zuvio + Cloaking Device + Proton Bombs.  He’s hard to take down at long range while cloaked, and no one wants to get right up in his face with that bomb ready.  Between tractor and bombs he can do a lot while staying cloaked, and then decloaking is some great maneuverability when he needs it.

The cloaking device failure mode is interesting, too.  Usually it’s not too hard to stay near something that you can make a failed decloak into to stay cloaked, but having the cloak fail can actually get you into unexpected positions to drop bombs.  You can’t decloak and then bomb in the same system phase, but you can decloak in the planning phase if you roll an eye and then drop a bomb from that new position in the system phase.

1 hour ago, Alarum said:

I like running Deadman’s Switch on my Quads. They are trying to be at range 1 and will die eventually so why not have some extra damage when they do. I also send two at one target to make sure one gets there. My third will be a turn behind to make sure I get the Tractor off next turn.

I usually run Kath or Han and a shuttle to go with them.

I wonder if this might be the key. The temptation is to overspend on them to try to maximize their tractor effect, or to bolt on some extra functionality to justify their cost. But maybe they’re best run as a suicide squad—get ‘em right in there and dare your opponent to start shooting.

Since the weekend, I’ve also considered trying Feedback Array on them. Back in 1.0, I used to love running a list of 5x Z-95s with Feedback Arrays (seasoned to taste with a pocket ace of choice), but the range 0 requirement in 2.0 really kills it for me. Quads still might be able to make it work, though. And as an added bonus, the 1-straight-blue Ion Maneuver isn’t something the Quad could otherwise do...

Or, maybe the answer is to ditch the generics? I could see Unkar + L3-37 + Deadman’s Switch working, as well as Zuvio + Proximity Mines + Contraband Cybernetics. Is there a good build for Sarco?

1 minute ago, kerbarian said:

I’ve had fun with Zuvio + Cloaking Device + Proton Bombs.  He’s hard to take down at long range while cloaked, and no one wants to get right up in his face with that bomb ready.  Between tractor and bombs he can do a lot while staying cloaked, and then decloaking is some great maneuverability when he needs it.

The cloaking device failure mode is interesting, too.  Usually it’s not too hard to stay near something that you can make a failed decloak into to stay cloaked, but having the cloak fail can actually get you into unexpected positions to drop bombs.  You can’t decloak and then bomb in the same system phase, but you can decloak in the planning phase if you roll an eye and then drop a bomb from that new position in the system phase.

Ooo, that’s nifty too...

1 hour ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

Quad jumpers were pretty good when they used to be 28 pts.  Now they are 32 points.  Scum can't have nice things

I think 30 should be fine, but I would not say no to 28.

Drea has been nerfed, she provided mods for the generics. Now since their offensive output has been reduced, a slight drop in points would be appropriate imo

Scums have overcosted generics, not only Quads.

Y-wing: -1 Ini to same cost Rebel

Z-95: 24 & 27 to 23 & 25 Rebel

HWK: 31 and -1 Ini to 30 Rebel

M3A: 28 & 32 to 26 & 29 TIE/FO

TIE: 24 to 23 Imperial

They are paying for illicit slots and illicit upgrades are overcosted :( except M3-A, which hasn't even got it.

6 hours ago, Boreas Mun said:

They are paying for illicit slots and illicit upgrades are overcosted :( except M3-A, which hasn't even got it.

🤨 Neither does the mining guild tie. Its cost above its Imp similes is due to its ability.

5 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 Neither does the mining guild tie. Its cost above its Imp similes is due to its ability.

But it has worse dial and Drea know costs much more than Howlrunner and has different dial than Ties so it's harder to fly her in formation.

38 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

But it has worse dial and Drea know costs much more than Howlrunner and has different dial than Ties so it's harder to fly her in formation.

The very strength of Drea Swarms is that they do not need to be in formation at all... Toss a dorsal on Drea and every enemy ship in either arc range 0-3 (base contact with Drea on out) is affected by the bonus...