Sign in to follow this  
TheSapient

Help us enjoy the game more

7 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

The love doctor is in.

The problem, of course, is that you are trying to play X-Wing with your wife when you should be playing Sex-Wing with her.  This is an opportunity to strengthen your relationship on many levels, but you have to make the most of it.  

First off, replace the lightbulbs over the kitchen table with red ones, and then dim the lights.  If you don’t have a dimmer then just remove some of the bulbs.  If in a jam Christmas lights will do just as long as they are not blinky.

Next, music should be playing in the background.  You should know your wife well enough to know what works, but you should definitely include You Sexy Thing by Hot Chocolate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-m9uG50mSw&feature=youtu.be

Cologne.  The GOOD stuff:  Sex Panther.  (https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Panther-Cologne-Spray-Men/dp/B002R0GN9S)

Your outfit should be reasonably seductive.  Show some skin, especially if you are hairy.

Lastly, you must repeatedly demonstrate what we in the X-Wing community call “The Power Stance.”  Rest one foot on a chair, the other on the ground.  This stance is used by X-Wing players to intimidate and demonstrate power over our opponents, but in this situation it is extreme seduction.  While some women may call this another form of “manspreading,” the truth is women want to be manhandled and that’s what you are suggesting when using “The Power Stance.”

Actually……

My wife hated X-Wing, but eventually I got her to play and now she even go to tournaments regularly with me.  Here’s my REAL thoughts on how to get her to play this game and how you both can enjoy it, in order of importance:

1:  FOCUS ON OFFENSE.  The first list I gave my wife was 1.0 Miranda/Dash - it shot at stuff and stuff went *BOOM*.  Put Wedge and Luke out there with some Proton Torpedoes on them!  You need to learn what it’s like when stuff just gets erased off the board in the blink of an eye.  Why?  Because everything interesting in life involves PRIMAL urges - and the desire to NOT DIE is the strongest one!

2:  75 MINUTES.  Play with the official 75 minute time limit.  This is ignored by SO MANY in casual play, but it is such a great part of this game.  It creates a certain level of intensity that gives more meaning to every minute and turn of the game as you both keep an eye on the clock while playing.  Otherwise, game WILL drag on.  This one part of the game is what can make a defensive game STILL be fun.

3:  200 points.  You need to play with 200 point squads or you (sorry) aren’t really playing X-Wing as it’s meant to be.  If you’re going 1 X-Wing against 2 TIE fighters, where is the danger of being out-maneuvered?  Who cares if you wind up in a bad spot and the other person’s entire squad is shooting at you if the entire squad only rolls a total of 4 dice?  If there isn’t any danger then what’s the point?  You know what’s scary? (and you need to be scared to love this game)  Having 8 red dice being rolled against your ship that has two hull left! 

4:  Lastly, variety.  This is way last on the list, like it barely made it.  Mrs Rick is happy to play the same list over and over again, so long as she crushes her enemies, sees them scattered before her, and hears the lamentation of their dice.  But some people (like me) want to put lots of different things on the table and think that 4 X-Wings by themselves look boring.

That’s it, have fun.

I think I'll try this. I've played a couple of games with the Mrs and a couple with a friend, I've been too busy with work and journeys in middle earth to play much x-wing lately. Now the 3 of us kind of know the rules it would it would be wise to go for 200 points and a timer. We have been playing less points and no timer and yes the game seems to drag a little. When we did add more ships the game was a bit more exciting. It does seem reasonable that maybe we shouldn't be trying to destroy every single ship into the wee hours of the night.

Thanks

At some point, I think I'm going to want to beef up my card collection.  I'm finding it hard to build two teams the way I want. 

Would it be better to but another core, or one conversion kit?  Or just keep buying expansions?  I do hope to eventually have one of each 2.0 Rebel and Empire faction ships. 

23 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

At some point, I think I'm going to want to beef up my card collection.  I'm finding it hard to build two teams the way I want. 

Would it be better to but another core, or one conversion kit?  Or just keep buying expansions?  I do hope to eventually have one of each 2.0 Rebel and Empire faction ships. 

My first advice would be to proxy cards if you’re not playing in a tournament.  If I’m playing a bunch of identical generics in a fun game, I’ll put out just the pilot cards and the upgrades on only one of them.

Even if you’re playing in a local tournament, a lot of times you can either proxy or borrow a specific cards from someone else.

If you do want to substantially increase your cards, the Rebel and Empire conversion kits will both give you more of almost everything you might need.

7 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

Post-It notes it is.

Zoiks!!  That'll be a lot of work.

Have you checked out YASB?  Design, print and play.

That way you'll have all the neccessary details and play information (irrespective of your card collection) for a fully laden Y-Wing.

African or European. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Zoiks!!  That'll be a lot of work.

Have you checked out YASB?  Design, print and play.

That way you'll have all the neccessary details and play information (irrespective of your card collection) for a fully laden Y-Wing.

African or European. 

Heh.  Well, I don't know what cards exist outside of my collection.  I'm just using Launch Bay Next to build squads using the cards I own.  But sometimes I want one more copy.  A Post-It that says "Outmaneuver" is easy enough.

7 hours ago, TheSapient said:

Heh.  Well, I don't know what cards exist outside of my collection.  I'm just using Launch Bay Next to build squads using the cards I own.  But sometimes I want one more copy.  A Post-It that says "Outmaneuver" is easy enough.

Fair enough.  But LBN won't let you print a list?

If you can print a list, like at YASB, you basically have infinite copies of every card in the game.  With 1.0, all of my cards were in a box; I never used them to play.  And the builder should let you see stuff NOT in your collection, allowing you to use anything at all.  Maybe LBN doesn't work like that. 

I guess the main advantage IMHO is that you can then chase the models, not the cards.  For example, you could get a 2nd Y-wing if you want it and not lament not getting more alternate upgrades.

Really, unless you plan to show up at an official tournament, the cards are far secondary to the model and the dial.

1 hour ago, Boba Rick said:

Don't worry about upgrade cards too much, they will pile up very quickly without you trying to get them.  Just print and play.

This. There's no point buying cards unless you want to play in tournaments. Print lists from Yet Another Squadron Builder or just use Launch Bay Next as a handy reference. Plenty of competitive players in my area just use printed lists for casual games because it's way less hassle than digging the cards out. I once used a piece of cardboard that I wrote on with a sharpie as my list. It worked great.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, TheSapient said:

We went out to pick up another core set.  Lost control.  

I can confirm that games work better now, even if neither of us can help running into obstructions, each other, and our own ships far too frequently.  We also frequently forget to use all of our upgrades to the fullest.  

I kind of love the Decimator.  The Falcon has been getting creamed (or is rolling poorly).   

20190705_151806x.jpg

Mistakes were made?

www-diremancom-you-guys-look-like-youre-