jimsowter

Getting into the game new

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but I can't see to find a recent one, and I would love an answer.

Is it possible to still jump into this game now, with possibly 2 cores and then skip some of the earlier cycles (Like Dunwich)?

I find that some of the boxes or decks in the cycle are harder to find. Also I really like the idea of playing The Path to Carcosa abd The Forgotten Age over Dunwich. 

Dunwich is my least played and least favourite campaign. The others are mechanically more interesting. As the card pool grows, there is no actual need for the cards from the dunwich campaign

Dunwich Legacy offers some really powerful player cards.

As for the campaign, it has one of the best scenarios in the game with Essex County Express.

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

That is a cool scenario. Though that is also the only scenario where i experienced a turn 1 team (2 players) elimination

Did you add doom on your own cards or were you really unlucky with mental traumas and Rotting Remains? By the way, the first Mythos phase belongs to turn 2, not turn 1.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, C2K said:

Dunwich Legacy offers some really powerful player cards.

As for the campaign, it has one of the best scenarios in the game with Essex County Express.

Yup. Dunwich has the best player cards hand down. 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:01 PM, Khudzlin said:

Did you add doom on your own cards or were you really unlucky with mental traumas and Rotting Remains? By the way, the first Mythos phase belongs to turn 2, not turn 1.

One character was a bit unlucky and the other was doomed from the start. No actual placement of doom was involved.

11 minutes ago, Raahk said:

One character was a bit unlucky and the other was doomed from the start. No actual placement of doom was involved.

I'm curious about the full sequence of events.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, jimsowter said:

Is it possible to still jump into this game now, with possibly 2 cores and then skip some of the earlier cycles (Like Dunwich)?

I went through all the cards from the Dunwich legacy and figured that, indeed, there are some really powerful cards in this expansion cycle, but they are in my opinion no "must haves". There are also a lot of cards that barely see play in my group. So i encourage you to skip the Dunwich legacy if you're short on money or having trouble finding all mythos packs.

@Khudzlin slight spoilers

The group started on one of the new locations from the return to: box which required you to perform a test (twice) at the end of the round. A skill was tested that both characters were either mediocre or extremely bad at. This lead to the elimination of both investigators.

The only things I have been able to purchase this week are the core, The Forgotten Age, and all mythos packs from that cycle.

I figured that once I have sorted all the cards, between all those packs I should have enough player cards to make at least a fun deck to play.

You'll definitely have enough player cards to make a fun deck. Good luck with The Forgotten Age!  It has a GREAT story but it is punishing.  I would recommend playing it on easy your first time through.

Posted (edited)

You shouldn't have any problem starting, as it looks like every deluxe expansion and every scenario pack is available on the FFG website.  They've done a good job keeping up with reprints on this game.  No need to skip anything. (but get ready to open your wallet).

Edited by mhuber