Boom Owl

Has Everyone Forgotten About Bombs?

Posted (edited)

Lets sort out bombs I guess. 

giphy.gif

• Delayed Fuses is 1 pt? Thats crazy right? 
  • Do the "new" Paige Tico rules matter?
  • Sabine won a System Open? Panic? 
  • Hyenas can take Trajectory Protons for 47 pts? 
  • Starfortress all went down 2 pts?
  • Nym didnt change in cost at all? What does FFG know? 
  • Decimators have access to every other turn System Phase Boost + Bombs? Seems ok

Edited by Boom Owl

I think it's mostly that last seasons push to highly durable ships pushed bombs to the bottom of the meta. I've run variants of the Vader/Fel/Deathrain list from Deathrain's Blog. My experience was that the bombs did damage, but never enough to make a significant dent. If the meta shifts back to agile, lightweight aces I think bombs will see a resurgence. 

1 minute ago, FatherTurin said:

To be honest, I miss my reference cards.  Since getting back into X-Wing I have no idea exactly what the bombs do and while I assume everything is in the RRG, I really haven’t had the inclination to look.  

Page 21 in the RRG update that goes live next week has the specific effects of the Bomb and Mine templates. :) Might be nice to brush up on if the meta shifts to more fragile ships.

Wardens got points nerfed for a reason my friend.

But yes, delayed fuses at 1 is awesome, but only in lists that are going whole ham on filling the table with bombs, like K-Wings or Y-Wings. Could also be good with trajectory simulator maybe, but with normal one -off bombs in a list it just makes them easier to avoid.

Posted (edited)

Traj sims going to a meaty 10(!) kinda kills enthusiasm

Even the Bombardment Drone Hyena, which you'd think would be cheap as it has no Ordnance and a craptastic 2-die + calculate primary, is somehow more expensive than 404.

dont think ffg has realized how short range bombs truly are and they seem to typically vastly overprice dedicated bombers such as Emon or the SCURGG. Imo, the bombardment Drone should've been the same cost as (if not cheaper than) the generic Seperatist hyena.

So, apart from Ks, the only bomber I give half a **** about is my good friend Deathrain. Mainly, his bombs are just an excuse for pre-activation action, but hey fuses are 1 point and passive sensor Borons are swanky 

Biggest winner, though? Bomblette Miranda. NEVER chase that 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

When I was a wee lad, we dropped bombs outta da backs of our ships and we liked it just fine!!

Launchers are for sissies, I say.  Just a bunch of tricked out, over-priced techoBS.

Now get off my lawn before I find my Minefield Mapper!

Edited by Darth Meanie

15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

vastly overprice dedicated bombers such as Emon or the SCURGG.

🤣🤣🤣

Oh wait, you seriously think the Scurrg is a bomber... Sorry to disappoint, but despite the name FFG has it set up as a heavy fighter with the ability to carry a couple of devices with limited use... Andrasta, Punisers, TIE/Sas, Hyenas, K-Wings, Starfortresses and Y-Wings are bombers... The Scurrg isn't even close. Armed mine layer in a pinch maybe... Bomber? Not on your life...

22 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Even the Bombardment Drone Hyena, which you'd think would be cheap as it has no Ordnance and a craptastic 2-die + calculate primary, is somehow more expensive than 404.

dont think ffg has realized how short range bombs truly are and they seem to typically vastly overprice dedicated bombers such as Emon or the SCURGG. Imo, the bombardment Drone should've been the same cost as (if not cheaper than) the generic Seperatist hyena.

So, apart from Ks, the only bomber I give half a **** about is my good friend Deathrain. Mainly, his bombs are just an excuse for pre-activation action, but hey fuses are 1 point and passive sensor Borons are swanky 

Biggest winner, though? Bomblette Miranda. NEVER chase that 

Now I kinda want to figure out a way to make Miranda with Bistan, Sabine and Bomblet Generator work. Bistan pairs really nicely with Miranda's ability. As long as you're focused, you can either make two 3-die attacks while shielded, or take a 1-die potshot to regain a shield, followed by a 3-die primary by spending the shield you just regained. Plus, she's farting out a constant stream of bomblets, and the whole kit comes in at 65 or 66 points depending on whether you're running her with fuses or not.

17 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

As long as you're focused, you can either make two 3-die attacks while shielded, or take a 1-die potshot to regain a shield, followed by a 3-die primary by spending the shield you just regained. Plus, she's farting out a constant stream of bomblets

🤨 Going for theatrical effect? I'm asking because that build on her doesn't even come close to doing that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

🤣🤣🤣

Oh wait, you seriously think the Scurrg is a bomber... Sorry to disappoint, but despite the name FFG has it set up as a heavy fighter with the ability to carry a couple of devices with limited use... Andrasta, Punisers, TIE/Sas, Hyenas, K-Wings, Starfortresses and Y-Wings are bombers... The Scurrg isn't even close. Armed mine layer in a pinch maybe... Bomber? Not on your life...

Nah it's still set up as a bomber

Hence the two named pilots

Problem is FFG still has nightmares of how Nym... treated first edition and now the poor thing pays four points for a 0-point title (among other problems, like point cost)

Least Sol can get bombadier now, which is...something?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Nah it's still set up as a bomber

Hence the two named pilots

Problem is FFG still has nightmares of how Nym... treated first edition and now the poor thing pays four points for a 0-point title (among other problems, like point cost)

Least Sol can get bombadier now, which is...something?

No it isn't. Nym and Sol are just good with devices. Please compare. What is missing? It is allot bigger of a deal than you think.

Lok RevenantCutlass Squadron PilotScimitar Squadron PilotGray Squadron BomberWarden Squadron Pilot•Andrastaswz41_techno-union-bomber.pngCobalt Squadron Bomber

Edited by Hiemfire

I'm part of the minority that still loves bombsTo use bombs effectively you can't think in the traditional joust mentality. Trajectory Simulator is not worth the points and typically leads you straight into a joust. After launching 1 bomb you usually find yourself in the middle of the scrum and rarely have a second chance to use it. If you are investing points into bombs, jousting is not for you. Instead use positioning and janky combos to get the full benefit bombs provide (Sabine, Cad Bane, Miranda, etc.). Sometimes just having the threat of a bomb being dropped is worth more than actually dropping it. I find that bomb lists are more about the mental game you play with your opponents than the actual game on the mat. Put your finger down on the mat where a bomb would be placed during the planning phase and watch Soontir start sweating and change his dial.

• Bombs are more of a area control device than damage dealing. If you do get damage off, consider it a bonus.
  1. Fragile aces will use all their re-positioning actions to avoid taking damage. This leaves them in disadvantageous positions and usually with no defensive tokens
  2. Swarms fear the bomb more than anything and will follow the same route as aces with the same result
  3. Beef thinks they have enough hull to just run over bombs, but if you get them to chase you long enough your constant bombardments they will change their mind. This is the hardest group to deal with, but you will get more than your points worth of damage out of your bombs (reload will be your friend).

Taking advantage of their positioning will take planning on your part. I find this kind of planning to be easier than flying swarms, but just as mentally taxing. This might be part of why bombs aren't as common in the meta. It takes too much thought and is harder to pull off than the beef's 1 straight to victory.

Getting a good list with bombs is also difficult in that you want your bomber to be less of a threat than your other ships so it wont be shot down first, but bombers aren't set up for the late game. Being able to cover multiple arcs is huge for supporting bombs. Decimators, Falcons, and other turret ships are you friends. Knowing when to drop your bomb and when to just let the threat linger is all part of the mental game you have to play.

My favorite list is Emmon, Nym, and Jostero. Emmon is my late game piece, with Nym and Jostero for support. Their abilities all combo well with each other and have enough firepower to deal with most lists. Nym is amazing at helping with the area control. Not only do they have to worry about if I'm going to drop a bomb or not, but I also can hold a bomb for later and fly freely over it waiting for them to chase me.

Hope this helps and Happy Bombing!

2 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Now I kinda want to figure out a way to make Miranda with Bistan, Sabine and Bomblet Generator work. Bistan pairs really nicely with Miranda's ability. As long as you're focused, you can either make two 3-die attacks while shielded, or take a 1-die potshot to regain a shield, followed by a 3-die primary by spending the shield you just regained. Plus, she's farting out a constant stream of bomblets, and the whole kit comes in at 65 or 66 points depending on whether you're running her with fuses or not.

I still think Hotshot gunner is better in the long run, stripping tokens means more unmodded shots against you and your squad mates, meaning they should hopefully live longer.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Spoiler: it's the reload

Spoiler: reload doesn't matter, unless it's an upgrade card requirement

Not only have I rarely seen a game where a bomber got the luxury of reloading, I've rarely seen games where an entire payload was expended. Turns out, low agility ships burn fast!

There's a reason the Miri Bomblette generator is a thing despite having a white reload 

Also, some charges can't be recovered anyway (Sol's and Nym's abilities works on mines, hinthint) and seismics have limited effectiveness regardless of reload 

28 minutes ago, dunhop said:

(reload will be your friend)

I'd say more than just friend, it is essential.

29 minutes ago, dunhop said:

My favorite list is Emmon, Nym, and Jostero.

Nice combo. Do you run Jostero bare or with missiles or other upgrades?

Right now I run Jostero naked. I will have to look over my list again with the new points change.

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Not only have I rarely seen a game where a bomber got the luxury of reloading, I've rarely seen games where an entire payload was expended.

It all depends on how you fly it, but I'll admit it is rare. I've bombed all but 1 asteroid off the map (still have the goal to catch em all).