Jump to content
buckero0

New Heavy Support article about the Clone Wars expansions

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

You can't aim and shoot though, which you often want to when you already have a target ... But I really like the design of that!

I think that if you have a target you will want to find a way to give them an order, which might not be too hard if the droid special rule really allows you to daisy chain orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

You can't aim and shoot though, which you often want to when you already have a target ... But I really like the design of that!

Linked targeting array from the expansion may help with this. Given how cheap battle droids are, it may be worthwhile having one or two (with HQ Uplink sprinkled in?) near the droideka squads to help them get orders and activation control. 

7 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Good catch! I didn’t even notice that.

I guess the Republic version is the same, so no fixed front on that either.C7C4EAD5-7962-41B3-B82E-331ACAD6CBFA.thumb.jpeg.947704ebb79cd309682731945e7645bf.jpeg

 

Thank you ^_^

Will rocket launchers on the BARC be worth 36 points though.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Derrault said:

If you have no targets, why is this a concern at all?

Because let's say they change it to where u have to do a standard move, this would force the droidekas to spend there first action moving forward which may send them right out into the open where they can get shot to pieces by the enemy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Church14 said:

I’m not a player, I was waiting on CIS to decide. 

 

Question in damage assignment:

1)Shields cancel hits, then you roll defense after?

2) There’s a rule about having to assign damage to a wounded model in your unit if able, right? So do you have to assign damage to a unit that has facedown shields tokens? They aren’t damaged in the normal sense. 

1. Yes. You spend shields to cancel results before defense dice are rolled. Then you’d roll a number of defense dice equal to the number of remaining uncancelled hits or crits.

2. The shields are shared by the unit, so they are not a part of damages and wounded minis. Since this unit only has two minis, all wounds would be placed on the non-unit leader mini until they expire, then wounds on the leader. Although the shields always can cancel wounds before it gets to that point, if able.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Anyone adding plastic shields to the Droidekas when they build the model?

It would probably look cool, especially if it had a blueish tint, but I doubt you could find something thin and small enough.

When closer to christmas, check craft and dollar stores, as they often have clear plastic ball ornaments.   Those may be the right size.    Simply pour some VERY thinned out paint and swirl it around, then cut the top of the hook off and you should get a decent droideka shield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Derrault said:

Think of it this way. If they cost 100 points out of the gate, you’re paying that for 10 effective hit points of stuff, minimum (15 max); putting their basic point per wound ratio at 10; that’s about the same ratio as a Rebel Trooper corps, or better.

 They also regenerate and have the option to disengage very fast. They will propably rather take 12 or 13 hits in a game before they go down. There might be some potential depending on orders and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

Linked targeting array from the expansion may help with this. Given how cheap battle droids are, it may be worthwhile having one or two (with HQ Uplink sprinkled in?) near the droideka squads to help them get orders and activation control. 

Thank you ^_^

Will rocket launchers on the BARC be worth 36 points though.?

Depends. The attack is not one of the most efficient ones anyway Maybe the unit might be an important tool to max out an attack pool vs. an important target early in the turn. With Target Array  and compulsary move, it is easy to get 2 Aim Tokens. All clone troopers have fire support, but only the BARC has surge to hit. 

Rocket+twin light blaster+Z6+5xDc15A+2xAim+Surge to hit= Happy face

Edited by M.Mustermann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Funny. I never realized they move their weapons out of the shields when they fire.

Say what you want about CW, but there is a LOT of detail in those movies.

Let us know what you end up using. I did a web search for fish bowls, but I think i’ll have to wait for the model, if I’m going to try it.

How about those clear Christmas decoration balls that you fill with little scenes inside. They should come in a few sizes and are light think plastic that's easy to craft with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

Linked targeting array from the expansion may help with this. Given how cheap battle droids are, it may be worthwhile having one or two (with HQ Uplink sprinkled in?) near the droideka squads to help them get orders and activation control. 

Thank you ^_^

Will rocket launchers on the BARC be worth 36 points though.?

It will probably be cheaper than that given that the Twin Laser Gunner is 10 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lunitic501 said:

Because let's say they change it to where u have to do a standard move, this would force the droidekas to spend there first action moving forward which may send them right out into the open where they can get shot to pieces by the enemy

If you had to move them you could just move them .1mm and call it a day. Now, if they make you do a full move like a compulsory...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

If you had to move them you could just move them .1mm and call it a day. Now, if they make you do a full move like a compulsory...

True didnt think of that, so used to compulsory move, still takes up one of your actions which isn't great depending on the circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lunitic501 said:

Because let's say they change it to where u have to do a standard move, this would force the droidekas to spend there first action moving forward which may send them right out into the open where they can get shot to pieces by the enemy

Ok, but then why wouldn’t you do basically 0 movement (or even just wander in circles with both moves)? It’s not a compulsory move, so a partial move is legal. Yes, it burns an action, but it’s not like there were better uses of that action if you weren’t in range yet....

And if they weren’t in range of anyone to fire on they are basically doing nothing, which is worse than being fired on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

It will probably be cheaper than that given that the Twin Laser Gunner is 10 points.

Range 4 might also be important for the BARC to keep it alive. Even if it only attacks with its missile launcher to give Surge to hit on a full Z6 Squad with fire support, we are still talking about an average of more than 7 hits before any aim tokens come into play. A clone attack pool with fire support can very eayly reach averages of more than 10 or 11 hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, aniron said:

Are you sure?

"Within the BARC Speeder Unit Expansion, you’ll find one unpainted, finely sculpted BARC speeder miniature different than the miniature included in the Star Wars: Legion Clone Wars Core Set—now featuring pilots in BARC Speeder Pilot armor."

swl48_barc-phase2.jpgswl48_4k_animation.gif

That wasn't the case when the article went live.

19 hours ago, ElcueX2 said:

That's exactly what I was talking about! When the article first released it definitely had the Phase 1 clone helmets, or I've just gone insane.

If you've gone insane, so have I.  Looks like they changed it since it went up. 

11 hours ago, Jabby said:

The speeder in the expansion uses neyo’s helmet style. It’s different to the one in the core set

Which is cool, but not at all what the article said when I voiced my mild annoyance. 

 

Sadly, this change still doesn't help me, since I'll be getting two BARCs from the core sets I've got preordered.  I wonder if anyone will want to trade?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alpha17 said:

Sadly, this change still doesn't help me, since I'll be getting two BARCs from the core sets I've got preordered.  I wonder if anyone will want to trade?  

If you have a 3d printer you could make some custom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

When closer to christmas, check craft and dollar stores, as they often have clear plastic ball ornaments.   Those may be the right size.    Simply pour some VERY thinned out paint and swirl it around, then cut the top of the hook off and you should get a decent droideka shield.

There are paints designed to tint surfaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Funny. I never realized they move their weapons out of the shields when they fire.

Say what you want about CW, but there is a LOT of detail in those movies.

Let us know what you end up using. I did a web search for fish bowls, but I think i’ll have to wait for the model, if I’m going to try it.

Here's a shield effect implementation from another miniatures game.

29994b33f237e9a99f7cddebbcdc6781--energy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One round of shooting from clone troopers or a BARC with side car armament will usually take out most if not all of the shields then you just need another unit to finish them off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody notice that the gunner upgrades for the Barc look like they reduce max speed by 1? Might give better control during those compulsory moves. I could see using a compulsory move then aim and fire or something similar. Zip out when things heat up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TheHoosh said:


What game is that from?

That's from Warhammer 40k. A Tau HQ, Commander R'alai, from Forge World (subcompany of Games Workshop). The shield effect is a conversion, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vector Strike said:

That's from Warhammer 40k. A Tau HQ, Commander R'alai, from Forge World (subcompany of Games Workshop). The shield effect is a conversion, though.

Any links to info on the conversion and what they used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...