buckero0

New Heavy Support article about the Clone Wars expansions

The big question is, will the BARC and Droidekas be no different than any other vehicle in the game, left out in lieu of more Corps troops?

I don’t really see either as anything that is a game changer. They both have better attacks then their predecessors(or unit’s like them that came before), but is that enough to justify the cost over another Corps?

Not trying to be negative, just trying to look at them without my fan girl glasses on (very similar to rose colour glasses😁). I do love the new units, but do you think they’ll see play after the dust clears?

21 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I guess the analogy I was trying to draw was a comparison between how Speederbikes fold pretty fast, even with Cover 1, and maybe the Droidekas will be similar if you think of shields as health. Like I said, I’m just thinking aloud and not every thought I have is a gem. 😊😳

But you’re right. But I also think it will be dangerous to think of shields as health.

Not much worse than thinking of emergency stims as "Health." In the current meta though, shield tokens are effectively additional regenerating hits the unit can take at range. They may not be as sturdy as vehicles with Armour, but they aren't quite as flimsy as just the stat line (white defense with 3 health each) suggests. 

Main reasons I've seen speeder bikes suffer are volume of fire and the prevalance of Sharpshooter. Volume of fire can still get around shields (or HP), and Ion can help remove them quickly, but isn't frequently taken (just yet anyway). Obviously playing with the droidekas will help get actual data about how sturdy/flimsy they actually are, but I think the AI might be the limiting factor.

3 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

The big question is, will the BARC and Droidekas be no different than any other vehicle in the game, left out in lieu of more Corps troops?

I don’t really see either as anything that is a game changer. They both have better attacks then their predecessors(or unit’s like them that came before), but is that enough to justify the cost over another Corps?

Not trying to be negative, just trying to look at them without my fan girl glasses on (very similar to rose colour glasses😁). I do love the new units, but do you think they’ll see play after the dust clears?

It's hard to say without knowing what else the new factions will get for their other slots. For the droids droidekas will be mandatory unless Greivous is 300-400 points, while I could see Kenobi+ max clones with loads of upgrades being your entire force.

I do think droidekas will still see use down the line simply because they're a unit that has 1-3 range suppressive ability that doesn't need to reload. 100 points for a support unit is a lot, but they've got a lot going for them.

It's a lot harder to tell with the BARC without seeing the rest of the upgrade cards. It's fairly sturdy, but anything the Republic fields will be so I'm up in the air about it.

2 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

It's hard to say without knowing what else the new factions will get for their other slots. For the droids droidekas will be mandatory unless Greivous is 300-400 points, while I could see Kenobi+ max clones with loads of upgrades being your entire force.

I do think droidekas will still see use down the line simply because they're a unit that has 1-3 range suppressive ability that doesn't need to reload. 100 points for a support unit is a lot, but they've got a lot going for them.

It's a lot harder to tell with the BARC without seeing the rest of the upgrade cards. It's fairly sturdy, but anything the Republic fields will be so I'm up in the air about it.

I really hoping I’m wrong, cause I want to see Rollie Boys and BARCs on the table, but my initial feeling is worry. 😬🥺

16 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I mostly play rebels, and I always sport some flamer ATRTs or the Landspeeder. I plan on switching to CIS once they come out and will be fully committed to playing all the units.

25 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I'm buying both CW factions and calling it a day on GCW. I'll be playing every unit I possibly can. I'll never play Seppies and not bring the droidekas

I think the Droideka basically exemplifies the CIS strategy, which is gonna be "you can buy all the infantry you need + bells and whistles and then have like 3/4 of your list left over". Until they get more Support there is no reason NOT to run 2-3 Droidekas just because they give you some firepower and for a little bit you will have the violence of action when it comes to Ion vs Shields (it'll take a while of people getting utterly schwacked by Destroyers before they think "I guess I can put an Ion guy or two in the list"). Or armor, since they have nothing but crit-fishing going for them in that regard. I also don't know if anybody will be relying on Deflect to save their butt, but I expect to see a decent amount of deflect on the table as a secondary to more glowbats, and Droidekas beat that, your main issue will be picking your Battlefield and activations appropriately so you don't Wheel Mode in a bad place (until CIS get snipers expect wheelie Droidekas to be prime targets for Coordinated/Maximum) or you can use them at speed 1 and not care about distance. Depending on how AI: Move is worded you might not even need to worry about it if you are allowed to Pivot.

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

I really hoping I’m wrong, cause I want to see Rollie Boys and BARCs on the table, but my initial feeling is worry. 😬🥺

I think the droidekas will be fine with the 4 shield, assuming that one recharges end of each turn like we think. Also, they’ve got a great weapon onboard.

BARC I’m less sure. They’re dependent on cover 1 like the bikes so that’s a warning. At least they roll a red die, but that won’t solve the sniper issue.

For now, I’m staying in the GCW era until I get caught up on what I want that is out or forthcoming. I’m also auto-in for any campaign boxes for that era. And Ewoks. Beyond that? We will see how many games get played.

3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Not much worse than thinking of emergency stims as "Health." In the current meta though, shield tokens are effectively additional regenerating hits the unit can take at range. They may not be as sturdy as vehicles with Armour, but they aren't quite as flimsy as just the stat line (white defense with 3 health each) suggests. 

Main reasons I've seen speeder bikes suffer are volume of fire and the prevalance of Sharpshooter. Volume of fire can still get around shields (or HP), and Ion can help remove them quickly, but isn't frequently taken (just yet anyway). Obviously playing with the droidekas will help get actual data about how sturdy/flimsy they actually are, but I think the AI might be the limiting factor.

Think of it this way. If they cost 100 points out of the gate, you’re paying that for 10 effective hit points of stuff, minimum (15 max); putting their basic point per wound ratio at 10; that’s about the same ratio as a Rebel Trooper corps, or better.

48 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

Can I interest you in some Scout Troopers?

(Not thebstrokentes of course)

Not following - I frequently use a squad of scout troopers when playing. I’ve only taken the strike team once 

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

I think the Droideka basically exemplifies the CIS strategy, which is gonna be "you can buy all the infantry you need + bells and whistles and then have like 3/4 of your list left over". Until they get more Support there is no reason NOT to run 2-3 Droidekas just because they give you some firepower and for a little bit you will have the violence of action when it comes to Ion vs Shields (it'll take a while of people getting utterly schwacked by Destroyers before they think "I guess I can put an Ion guy or two in the list"). Or armor, since they have nothing but crit-fishing going for them in that regard. I also don't know if anybody will be relying on Deflect to save their butt, but I expect to see a decent amount of deflect on the table as a secondary to more glowbats, and Droidekas beat that, your main issue will be picking your Battlefield and activations appropriately so you don't Wheel Mode in a bad place (until CIS get snipers expect wheelie Droidekas to be prime targets for Coordinated/Maximum) or you can use them at speed 1 and not care about distance. Depending on how AI: Move is worded you might not even need to worry about it if you are allowed to Pivot.

AI: Attack, Move (Unless you have a face up order token, your first action must be an attack or a move).

7 minutes ago, Derrault said:

AI: Attack, Move (Unless you have a face up order token, your first action must be an attack or a move).

So, if you are unable to get an order token to them, you can pivot because it says move not standard move. Move or pivot (which is a move), then shoot.

Or shoot + dodge I guess?

Well, my concern is since it's Attack+Move, if there's no targets you have to move. If the RRG doesn't clarify this to something like a Standard Move, no biggie, just pivot to put somebody on target. If you're already on target, nbd, just let your attack rip. 

1 minute ago, UnitOmega said:

Well, my concern is since it's Attack+Move, if there's no targets you have to move. If the RRG doesn't clarify this to something like a Standard Move, no biggie, just pivot to put somebody on target. If you're already on target, nbd, just let your attack rip. 

If you have no targets, why is this a concern at all?

19 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Move isn’t all that bad. It does not say standard move. Just pivot a hair and you’re set. Problem solved.

11 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Oh, anyone else mildly annoyed that the box art shows clones with Neyo's BARC trooper helmet, while the minis are wearing standard Phase I helmets?  Modders, start your 3D printers! 

The speeder in the expansion uses neyo’s helmet style. It’s different to the one in the core set

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 9:06 PM, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

Doesn't the X-34 landspeeder have an RPS-6 rocket gunner?

Good catch! I didn’t even notice that.

I guess the Republic version is the same, so no fixed front on that either.

Edited by JediPartisan

2 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Anyone adding plastic shields to the Droidekas when they build the model?

It would probably look cool, especially if it had a blueish tint, but I doubt you could find something thin and small enough.

I think we are a huge amount thinking about it, yeah. I plan to do so, and I know more than 10 persons want to do the same.

So... yeah, definitely :)

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My my.. Droidekas are like Oprah!  You get a suppression, and you get a suppression!

yq9mkbxoh58a.gif

giphy.gif

Funny. I never realized they move their weapons out of the shields when they fire.

Say what you want about CW, but there is a LOT of detail in those movies.

1 minute ago, RaevenKS said:

I think we are a huge amount thinking about it, yeah. I plan to do so, and I know more than 10 persons want to do the same.

So... yeah, definitely :)

Let us know what you end up using. I did a web search for fish bowls, but I think i’ll have to wait for the model, if I’m going to try it.

Just now, JediPartisan said:

Funny. I never realized they move their weapons out of the shields when they fire.

Say what you want about CW, but there is a LOT of detail in those movies.

Let us know what you end up using. I did a web search for fish bowls, but I think i’ll have to wait for the model, if I’m going to try it.

There is a good thing usable. I'm thinking about using Cristal clear resine with blue tinte (like Guiliman blue Glaze) in the component.

9 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

You can't aim and shoot though, which you often want to when you already have a target ... But I really like the design of that!