buckero0

New Heavy Support article about the Clone Wars expansions

Just now, thepopemobile100 said:

I imagine that the token is more for tournaments since when you replace a model it's never going to be perfectly in the exact same spot, but I don't see it getting a lot of use in regular play.

It's like a ball marker on the green :D

1 minute ago, choassassin said:

It is for you the player owning the Droidekas to note that you do not regen shield tokens if you do wheeled mode.

I don't think so since regening shields is worded as flipping inactive shield tokens while wheel mode prevents you from flipping active ones, which would prevent you from spending the tokens to prevent damage.

So am I missing something or are the droidekas not so hot? I am a noob in this game so what am I missing?

100p for 3 health with white save and onky 2 models, good attack but not great.

Shield tokens are essentially blocks, like mutiple dodge tokens but better right?

Will that be enough to keep them in the battle you think?

The hard looks great if the extra cannon really is 10p, better than all other vehicles in my noobish opinion.

Models look awesome.

Posted (edited)

Shielded 4 on the Droidekas seems pretty powerful, however did some reading on the Shielded: X keyword and noticed something interesting:

RRG Pg. 57 (5th bullet)

At the start of the “Roll Defense Dice” step, before any other effects, if the attack pool includes the ion x keyword, for each hit (󲉠) or critical (󲉡) result, up to x, the defender must flip an active shield token if able. The defender does not add block (󲉣) results for shield tokens flipped in this way.

Since we aren't sure (or I'm not anyway) if the Droidekas are Emplacements or Vehicles (they have to be one or the other due to Laser Targeting Array) this may be a huge thing. If they are Vehicles, that means they lose active Shield tokens AND actions if they get hit with Ion.

I think we just discovered why all of the Ion weapons exhaust...

Edited by NeonWolf

3 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Since we aren't sure (or I'm not anyway) if the Droidekas are Emplacements or Vehicles (they have to be one or the other due to Laser Targeting Array) this may be a huge thing. If they are Vehicles, that means they lose active Shield tokens AND actions if they get hit with Ion.

I think we just discovered why all of the Ion weapons exhaust...

As it currently stands you are 100% right with this. They Droidekas are also a new kind of unit (I think it says Vehicle Droid, but don't quote me on it) so ion might be changed to work differently, but I don't think that'll happen. I do think it should work how you described since that is a substantial buff to ion weapons that they needed.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, landoro said:

So am I missing something or are the droidekas not so hot? I am a noob in this game so what am I missing?

Shield tokens are essentially blocks, like mutiple dodge tokens but better right?

The hard looks great if the extra cannon really is 10p, better than all other vehicles in my noobish opinion.

Models look awesome.

Blocks added by Shield tokens cannot be cancelled by Pierce and remove Defence dice from the pool before the defender rolls.

Keep in mind that the attack is for each model, so starts off with 2 Red + 4 Black with Suppressive and Immune: Deflect.  That means Obi-Wan's special ability doesn't work on their attacks.

Also, the spread for the unit has two of the new tokens that, I believe, allow you to convert a Surge to a Hit or a Block.  Don't see any keywords on the unit card that would give them this so not exactly sure whey they come with those tokens.

Edited by NeonWolf

question... say a droideka unit uses all their shield tokens.  Does a recover action return all the shield tokens?  

questions aside, I cannot wait for clone wars to release! 

2 minutes ago, Zeph01 said:

question... say a droideka unit uses all their shield tokens.  Does a recover action return all the shield tokens?  

questions aside, I cannot wait for clone wars to release! 

As of now, no.

Current wording of "Recover" action says nothing about flipping tokens.

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

As of now, no.

Current wording of "Recover" action says nothing about flipping tokens.

Thanks for clarifying good sir.  I was thinking how sabine's shield card is exhaustible and in theory could get a shield token back if she recovers?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Zeph01 said:

Thanks for clarifying good sir.  I was thinking how sabine's shield card is exhaustible and in theory could get a shield token back if she recovers?

Yeah, Sabine's upgrade card is a unique case and specifically applies Recover to that upgrade, outside of the normal rules allowable under a normal Recover action.

No such exception for Droidekas.

Sorry! "Recharge 1" is what gives Sabine's shield the ability to flip via Recover. Droidekas do not have that ability, but do have Generator 1 (During the end phase, flip one [something] shield token). I believe that [something] is "inactive."

That's how they recover their shields.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

48 minutes ago, landoro said:

Models look awesome.

I think it might be a mistake to look at Droidekas as only 3 health, since those shield "dodges" basically function as health. So you really get 2x 7 hitpoint units that can then regenerate a percentage of that health and also have the highest speed in the game. Seems potent.

But it'll depend on how easily you can get them up the field of course. The suppressive gun is a nice addition, as they can do extra work even if the damage output is low.

Excited to see these guys (and the BARCs) in action!

12 minutes ago, Simonsays3 said:

I think it might be a mistake to look at Droidekas as only 3 health, since those shield "dodges" basically function as health. So you really get 2x 7 hitpoint units that can then regenerate a percentage of that health and also have the highest speed in the game. Seems potent.

But it'll depend on how easily you can get them up the field of course. The suppressive gun is a nice addition, as they can do extra work even if the damage output is low.

Excited to see these guys (and the BARCs) in action!

to me it looks like the shield covers the entire unit, not each individual model, so the total health would be 10 not 14.  I think this because there are only 4 shield tokens in the picture.

I’m not a player, I was waiting on CIS to decide. 

Question in damage assignment:

1)Shields cancel hits, then you roll defense after?

2) There’s a rule about having to assign damage to a wounded model in your unit if able, right? So do you have to assign damage to a unit that has facedown shields tokens? They aren’t damaged in the normal sense. 

1 minute ago, Church14 said:

2) There’s a rule about having to assign damage to a wounded model in your unit if able, right? So do you have to assign damage to a unit that has facedown shields tokens? They aren’t damaged in the normal sense. 

1) You may spend shield tokens to cancel hits, but you are not required to. You then would roll defense against the remaining damage, if any.

2) Both units in the Droideka squad pull from the same shield pool so once they actually start taking damage you would then choose which one will take it.

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Well, BARC is way way better than the imperial counterpart. I’m salty.

Its hard to find a unit that is worse than imperial Bikes at the moment.

The weak spot might be their resilience threshold. 2 Wounds and they get a a damaged token, which is admittedly still better than loosing one of two bikes.

Snipers don't care that much about red dice.

3 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Yeah, I just pointed that little "whoopsie" in my local Legion group on FB.  Sounds like somebody picked a cool article title without realizing its a bit misleading.

Anywho, love the looks of the new units.  If I wasn't already preordered for two core sets, I'd probably pick a BARC speeder up.  Still might do so on a Droideka.  Side note, can anyone see what the card "Linked Targeting Array" does?  I can make out its for emplacement troopers or vehicles only, and you get "Target 1," but that's about the extent I can make out. 

Target X is in the rules reference:

"TARGET X (UNIT KEYWORD)When a unit with the target x keyword is issued an order, it gains x aim tokens.•

If a unit with the target x keyword would be issued an order but a game effect causes that order not to be issued or to be issued to another unit instead, that unit cannot use the target x keyword.•

This effect is different than performing an aim action, and therefore does not trigger abilities that occur after aim actions are performed."

Did anyone else notice the helmets on the BARC model change? They looked like phase 1 helmets the first time I looked but now they have the BARC helmets. Am I crazy or did anyone else notice this?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Oh, anyone else mildly annoyed that the box art shows clones with Neyo's BARC trooper helmet, while the minis are wearing standard Phase I helmets?  Modders, start your 3D printers! 

Are you sure?

"Within the BARC Speeder Unit Expansion, you’ll find one unpainted, finely sculpted BARC speeder miniature different than the miniature included in the Star Wars: Legion Clone Wars Core Set—now featuring pilots in BARC Speeder Pilot armor."

swl48_barc-phase2.jpgswl48_4k_animation.gif

Edited by aniron

3 minutes ago, ElcueX2 said:

That's exactly what I was talking about! When the article first released it definitely had the Phase 1 clone helmets, or I've just gone insane.

Maybe they picked the wrong image by mistake. The Phase 1 models are in the core set, phase 2 in the expansion.

55 minutes ago, aniron said:

Are you sure?

"Within the BARC Speeder Unit Expansion, you’ll find one unpainted, finely sculpted BARC speeder miniature different than the miniature included in the Star Wars: Legion Clone Wars Core Set—now featuring pilots in BARC Speeder Pilot armor."

I could have sworn the article said "identical the the model in the core set" when I read it this morning...

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

Church, I've had a ton of fun painting these minis.  Do eht.