mwknowles

Genesys Warhammer RPG

Hi all,

I know there is a BIG thread around for this so apologies but i have questions and little time:

Ppl are talking about using Genesys (or the system for SWRPG) and Warhammer as a fantasy setting, and i want to do so to; but why? Theres a FFG Warhammer rpg out already that looks (to the e-copies ive seen) to be whats wanted.  Does the existing FFG Warhammer system not work? I must say it looks complicated.

Whats the problem?

Posted (edited)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e was a weird game, it was very heavily based on cards, counters and other boardgame materials, and moved pretty far away from what people liked about 1e and 2e. Plus, the dice were quite different to Genesys' dice even if it's a similar system.

I imagine people want a Genesys hack so they can get the narrative dice without all the weird boardgame trappings 3e came with. 

One benefit of 3e existing is its content is quite easy to adapt to Genesys. The Corruption system in my Dark Heresy hack is based heavily on the Corruption system in WHFRP 3e with some tweaks.

Edited by Tom Cruise

Mostly it’s the dice, the Genesys/SW dice system really benefited from the lessons FFG learned in making WFRP. The change doesn’t look like much but at a more than cursory glance there are a lot of tweaks that made the system much nicer for everyone.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:42 AM, Richardbuxton said:

Mostly it’s the dice, the Genesys/SW dice system really benefited from the lessons FFG learned in making WFRP.

I'd be curious for what you mean here, @Richardbuxton.  Because I'm not sure I agree.

WFRP3e is potentially complicated (though it's far more modular than it seems, which is a problem for sure with how it was marketed), but the dice--well, the dice are carefully and brilliantly designed to help create stories that fit the Warhammer setting.

My players use Genesys, Star Wars, and WFRP3e alternating weeks and we do just fine.

I must say, the latest version of Warhammer Fantasy RPG that Cubicle 7 released is VERY good.  It's not a NDS but they took it back to the d100 roots and they've made it into a pretty slick system.  I highly recommend it.

Z