Sign in to follow this  
docForsaken

Traveling with Terrain?

So I have a good and bad problem.  I'm starting to build up quite the Legion collection including big pieces of terrain.  How do people normally pack and travel with terrain (either to a local FLGS or to a Con)?  Most of what I see is geared towards mini's.  I have two PACK 352's from Battle Foam - 1 per side.  That would get super expensive for terrain though?

28 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

So I have a good and bad problem.  I'm starting to build up quite the Legion collection including big pieces of terrain.  How do people normally pack and travel with terrain (either to a local FLGS or to a Con)?  Most of what I see is geared towards mini's.  I have two PACK 352's from Battle Foam - 1 per side.  That would get super expensive for terrain though?

I make some terrain to be travel-friendly. Other stuff stays at home. Terrain doesn't get packed in foam for travel unless it's a fiddly little accent piece or something. I usually use a paper-box lid or something and roll, say, resin houses in felt for padding. When I arrive the felt becomes my gaming mat, my rough terrain patches, etc.

I use these big black tubs from Home Depot. I try to load one table per helps keep things easy to set up. I also have extra padding for the delicate pieces but i also have some pieces that are more fragile that travel separate. In the largest one I can store a total of two tables worth but I like to keep them sorted by biome. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

I can consider myself lucky since we got a locker at the place we play and we can store it there.

Small terrain I use my figure case. Larger I transport in bags, however usually I have to be careful since they can easily get damaged when bumped.

16 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Could be easy if you use light cover terrain.. but nobody every seems to like light cover terrain.  All buildings from Tatooine, all the time..

15 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Here it's Ewok villages and Imperial radar dishes.

I've noticed the same when I look at the tables for higher level events.  I try to put out a good mix of heavy and light cover when we are playing at my FLGS.  

Granted, I had the happy coincidence of having several large swatches of scrap vinyl lying around that had a grassy pattern printed on them so I cut them up to represent light area terrain (tall grass, sparse forest) and then made up some plants/trees to place down in the areas.  That way the 3D elements can be moved around to accommodate models as needed but not really impact the actual boundaries of the terrain.

16 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Could be easy if you use light cover terrain.. but nobody every seems to like light cover terrain.  All buildings from Tatooine, all the time..

I have sand dunes to represent light cover/difficult terrain on my Tatooine board.

Honestly, all of my terrain rides around in cardboard boxes while my minis travel in nice Battle Foam cases.  

IMG_20190703_082554642

I'm less worried about wear on the terrain, as it can help, or at the very least be hastily repaired as needed.  I've got a box per table/terrain type, and one more that I store wreckage and other stuff in as needed.  Probably not the most efficient method of storage, but it works, and I've brought most of this terrain to two RPQs and a smaller tournament. 

On 7/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

lets start a movement... what are the best scatter/light terrain pieces on thing-a-verse?  I agree so much here.  Bring the battle from Mos Eisley to anywhere else haha

18 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

lets start a movement... what are the best scatter/light terrain pieces on thing-a-verse?  I agree so much here.  Bring the battle from Mos Eisley to anywhere else haha

I don’t know about thingaverse, but I love the crate stacks from Imperial Terrain for light scatter. Different shapes ranging from organized on a pallet to improvised barricades.

For your non-desert world, you could use any of the widely distributed tree stumps etc as light cover. There’s loads of fantasy terrain on thingaverse, you just have to stop looking for “Star Wars Legion” specifically to find it all. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3704295

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3052978

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

On 7/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, ScummyRebel said:

My terrain travels in a plastic bin from target. I don’t travel with stuff that’s not durable enough for the trip. That stuff stays for my home board 

Pretty much what I do.