Sign in to follow this  
stimpaksam

Wrath and Ruin - 1st AP of The Vengeance of Mordor Cycle

Posted (edited)

More hobbits! And Tom looks pretty cool even though I'm pretty lukewarm about Encounter player cards. I always have bad luck with them never showing up or getting discarded. I kind of wish Tom had a beneficial shadow effect but his objective card didn't so oh well. At least he doesn't surge.

Edited by stimpaksam

Ha! I called it 1 or 2 years ago, that Tom would be an encounter ally. It's the most thematic way of imcluding both him and Goldberry. Glad to see I was right, but even more glad he's finally here as a non-objective ally.

28 minutes ago, Gizlivadi said:

Ha! I called it 1 or 2 years ago, that Tom would be an encounter ally. It's the most thematic way of imcluding both him and Goldberry. Glad to see I was right, but even more glad he's finally here as a non-objective ally.

It may be the most thematic way to include him, but to play him... Tolkien is going to roll over in his grave the first time Tom is revealed in Umbar, or Ithilien, or … anywhere really 😂

2 minutes ago, Yepesnopes said:

It may be the most thematic way to include him, but to play him... Tolkien is going to roll over in his grave the first time Tom is revealed in Umbar, or Ithilien, or … anywhere really 😂

I think Tolkien would've been more disappointed if this game didn't have any reference to Goldberry at all, which it doesn't, and with the FOTR PODs out and no Goldberry the only way was to either have a cycle in the Shire and have them both as objectives, or to have them as player cards with the encounter keyword. They chose the latter, which makes me infintely happier.

9 minutes ago, Amicus Draconis said:

My guess is on Sam Gamgee, as he is the only main hobbit without a second hero card yet and to facilitate playing Tom Bombadillo! with this pack and a core set alone.

Remember that Frodo and Pippin are the heroes in the associated deluxe box.  I believe that the designers consider the player cards in the Core + Deluxe + AP (since you can't play the AP quest without the Deluxe), so I'm not sure the case for a new hero Sam is quite this clean-cut. That said, I agree that it would be surprising not to see him at some point in this cycle.

5 hours ago, silverthorn said:

It's odd that the hero isn't revealed.

It's not that odd. We don't usually get every hero revealed in AP preview articles, the last cycle being an exception.

29 minutes ago, Kjeld said:

Remember that Frodo and Pippin are the heroes in the associated deluxe box.  I believe that the designers consider the player cards in the Core + Deluxe + AP (since you can't play the AP quest without the Deluxe), so I'm not sure the case for a new hero Sam is quite this clean-cut. That said, I agree that it would be surprising not to see him at some point in this cycle.

Frodo and Smeagol are the deluxe heroes, Pippin is an ally.

6 minutes ago, PocketWraith said:

Frodo and Smeagol are the deluxe heroes, Pippin is an ally.

Right, thanks for the correction! Nonetheless, given Smeagol's origins, I maintain my point 😉

It seems to me that there'll be some Fond of cards here based on the cover art. We'll see. Maybe a tactics ally or hero? We haven't had any FFG created male Gondor hero have we?

1 minute ago, Kjeld said:

Or a female dwarf hero! It would also be amusing to get an Entwife ally/hero.

Female dwarves do exist. So it is a possibility. If we get ent wives, I'd prefer them as objective allies. Since they were seemingly missing, I wouldn't want them in regular play. That's just me, though.

I was joking about the Entwives*, but I was serious that I think there's a good opportunity for FFG to create a female dwarf hero. Her backstory could be associated with one of the four Eastern dwarf clans that don't really make an appearance in the books.

* As a player card, to be thematic, they'd probably have to leave the game as soon as they're played, and then discard all Ents in play, too!

Looking at the product page it says that the pack comes with “a new dwarf hero.” I’m guessing it’ll just be Thorin from the Collectors Edition though, they have to release him eventually. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Friidrek said:

Looking at the product page it says that the pack comes with “a new dwarf hero.” I’m guessing it’ll just be Thorin from the Collectors Edition though, they have to release him eventually. 

I forgot about him. You're probably right...:(

The second pack will probably be Gildor. Get them both out of the way at the start.

Edited by stimpaksam

7 hours ago, Friidrek said:

Good catch -- I didn't think to look on the hero page. I think you're right -- Thorin is a clear choice.

On another note, it says that theres a hero and 3x of each player card. Does that mean we don't get a contract in this pack? Or are we, in general, getting 3 copies of contracts?

I don't see any specific reason we wouldn't get multiple copies of each contract—things like Black Arrow and Gathering Information got the full 3x treatment, even if it was only useful in multiplayer. (And while this may change with the actual contract rules, nothing we've seen rules out multiple players trying to fulfill the same contract.)