Dasharr

R5 is the new R2 for Jedi?

Posted (edited)

With the points changes making 7B Jedi more expensive and CLT cheaper, I've been thinking about how it's now viable to have 4 Jedi with CLT (without having to cut back to generics). The R2 point increase on the 'sprites still hurts though, especially for multiples, and it has limited value without 7B anyway because that means only 1 shield.

Then I remembered that R5 exists and still isn't agility-scaled, and it's pretty good on evasive ships like this. It regens hull like R2 does shields (not bad on a ship with 3/1 hull/shield), at the cost of an action which is bearable for Jedi because FTC still allows them a reposition the same round, so it can do a similar job as R2 to disengage and recover. Crucially, a half-pointed Jedi who flees and removes all the damage cards with R5 is no longer half-pointed. It also can repair face-up ship crits, with no charge limit (like all ships with no blue hard turns, the crit that makes them higher difficulty is really bad).

So here's a squad list that's all i4 to make flying 4 pocket aces a little easier. One of those is Barriss, and OK she's not very good in general, but she's (A) only 1 more base cost than a generic (B) initiative 4 matching the others and (C) has better ability synergy with CLT than 7B because those extra focus symbols will hopefully get added into friendly ship's attack dice results fairly often.

"Use the Fours."

Barriss Offee (39)    
    R5 Astromech (4)    
    Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)    

Ship total: 46  Half Points: 23  Threshold: 2    

Luminara Unduli (43)    
    R5 Astromech (4)    

Ship total: 50  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 2    

Saesee Tiin (43)    
    R5 Astromech (4)    

Ship total: 50  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 2    

Mace Windu (45)    
    R5 Astromech (4)    

Ship total: 52  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 2    

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z275XW6W200WY274XW6W200WY313XW6W200WY314XW6W200W&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Edit: I could see this being really good against squads that move before them - it's easier to set up bullseyes and arc-dodge, and Saesee's ability works best with later activation. Does anyone with more jedi experience think it would still work against higher initiative? In theory it should be possible to make it hard to avoid bullseyes when you have four of them, but I haven't flown enough of these to tell.

Edited by Dasharr

I really like the idea. I’m tinkering around with 3 CLT Jedi aces. Running 2 of them with R5 gives me more options while keeping a huge bid. To answer you question about the bid. I think it depends on your initiative and number of ships. Imo your list is fine with a small bid because everyone is at I4 and 4 ships will get a bullseye more often and your opponent will try to avoid it. With my 3 CLT Aces I have to bid deep.

With an N-1

LumiMaceAhsokaAnakin

(43) Luminara Unduli [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R5 Astromech
(3) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(45) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R5 Astromech
(3) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(47) Ahsoka Tano [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) R5 Astromech
(2) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(41) Anakin Skywalker [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]
(3) Passive Sensors

Total points: 199

Posted (edited)

Ive tried it a few times in variations of quad CLT and it feels pretty meh. 

Upgrading Barbar to Obi and putting Sense on Mace feels like a better investment.

Edited by prauxim