Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

Point Change Opinions ​​​​​​​​

Yeah...I’m not mad, I think the closest emotion is disappointment at Anakin, the Sith, and hate.

Then again, in 1.0 I had a habit of putting together a list and running it forever.  These adjustments force me from getting too comfortable and be willing to rethink my lists, what upgrades are truly necessary, and what other lists may be just as much (or more) fun.

15 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

Me too.

I'm not upset, let alone mad, about the new points.

The only thing I even would be close to being so is the status of the Alpha Interceptor.

Poor Alpha, you are always the inferior choice to the Planetary Sentinel. And 6 of you would be far from broken, when 5 plus Wampa/ Gideon already fits and is not that good.

I don't get the hate on hate (heh)

It was (still is) an easy way to bypass the limitations built into the force mechanic and Sith still seem just dandy

If you approach it in a more roundabout way, Sith really lost protorps more than hate. Rather, they lost the ability to easily stack protorps to further exploit the incredible returns of hate-fueled, essentially UNLIMITED POWAH

So...meh. I doubt you've seen the last of the Sith

TuB Probe the Dark Side

(26) Techno Union Bomber [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) DRK-1 Probe Droids
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(28) Baktoid Prototype [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(2) Fire-Control System
(6) Diamond-Boron Missiles

(30) DBS-404 [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(67) Darth Maul [Sith Infiltrator]
(9) Hate
(14) Chancellor Palpatine
(3) General Grievous

Total points: 200

Nerfs were all great. But they forgot to buff:

Lock-Missiles (2 points off all)

The Scyk (except Serissu)

YT-2400 (Tell me you’d ever pay 4 points to “upgrade” from Han to a Wild Space Fringer)

Some VCX pilots (Hera’s fine)

Some Rebel and especially Scum crew/gunners

Black Striker and Alpha Interceptor

But really that’s about it. Everything in the 4 new factions was fantastically handled. As always, the 3 OT factions got a little left out in the cold, but Rebels and Empire were fine and will be fine. Scum got a couple buffs and could come back, though they’re still hurting.

Republic will definitely rule the meta though.

Did swarm tactics really need its nerf? It's pretty decent value, but is there something that was really too good with it? I'm waaaaay out of the loop with system open results recently.

12 minutes ago, Okapi said:

For me it's mostly the Scyks. I love the ship, but it just doesn't seem worth it. The FO Fighter is cheaper and better than the spacer, and the Baron of the Empire has the better dial, action bar and upgrade slots compared to the Tansarii.

This.  I think The Adjustment is overall great.  I'm hugely excited to get back into First Order.  I got into X-Wing with some of the Force Awakens core sets, and the TIE/fo was probably my first crush ship.

However, the M3-A Scyk is a ship which I've come to love in 2nd Edition.  I keep saying, Ion Scyks are decent little blighters.  But like the TIE Aggressor, I think it's probably a really hard ship to balance.  The easy and essentially unlimited secondary weapons (Cannons, Turrets, Barrage Rockets) are a really core part of their identity, and that's always going to be trickier than pricing something like a Torrent with just a single missile slot.

A TIE/fo can get a 2-point reduction, without having to consider the semi 3-dice Ion Cannon Cartel Spacer, or the Dorsal Turret (and Veteran Turret Gunner) variant.

29 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

It wasn’t an option, but I am still puzzled by the increase to Maul crew.

Because they bumped Ezra gunner down, and they’re terrified of Hatin’ Kanan becoming meta. 😔

...The Mouse is probably forcing them away from such anti-flavorful builds 😜

1 hour ago, Npmartian said:

Did swarm tactics really need its nerf? It's pretty decent value, but is there something that was really too good with it? I'm waaaaay out of the loop with system open results recently.

Makes init killing more costly. Wedge & Dutch torp alpha was another archetype floating around.

So the other thing that has me slightly bummed is poor Echo. A victim of nothing of his own doing.

Im broadly fine with the other Phantoms changes. Juke may have been a bit excessive, but I’ll manage. But one, or even two, in a list wasn’t a problem. It was three that really breaks things.

14 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Don't lie, you just want some r&r

You caught me! I'm a teacher on summer break navigating through a leadership course and dissertation data analysis. Something had to give. And they say teachers don't do anything during the summer! As Saw Gerrera always says, "Lies, deceptions, more lies!"

Posted (edited)

Mad is too strong of a word. Disappointed fits my state better. 

I was expecting some decrease on the Scyks, sadly ffg thought otherwise. 

Edited by flooze

That poll is way too long. Basically, I think the "nerfs" were about as mild as could be and didn't change things much at all. The fact that Vader is still cheaper than Fenn Rau is criminal. Vader with Afterburners should be at least 80 pts. I laughed when I saw the Phantom changes. So you can still run three full Sigma's and some other ship like, Gideon Hask? It's exactly what I said it would be if they didn't make Phantoms 50 pts.  Yes, they took a hit but it's relatively mild and since every other top tier list also took a slight hit (Drea took a big hit actually) their relative power is similar to what it was before. I can run the same lists as before with minor concessions. This point update was pointless.

Posted (edited)

drea copped the biggest nerf at +7pts. upping dorsal turret +1pt and VTG +2pts was expected and VTG was a bit too cheap. Lok also went up +2pts so these all combined effectively nerfed the Drea Lok list. 

Tactical Officer +4pts to 6 hurts scums escape craft in a significant way. Theyre still very playable but i think ppl will prabably not bother with TO unless they r running lando.

The rest of the changes are very minor and will have minimal effect on scum. Title for shadowcaster drops 3pts and the shadwcaster pilots all dropped a point or two except for ketsu. Minor drops to some of the hawks wont do much. Moldy Crow at 18pts is keeping Palob off the table more often than not.

Overall scum didnt get much from the points. Fangfighters are still solid (no pts changes either way) Firesprays still remain a little pricey from first round of nerfs to boba/marauder/han gunner but boba of course is still payable and even good but probably not tier 1 anymore.

trickshot and debris gambit and swarm tactics increases impact on every faction and just make the upgrades no longer easy to include.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

On 6/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, AceWing said:

That poll is way too long. Basically, I think the "nerfs" were about as mild as could be and didn't change things much at all. The fact that Vader is still cheaper than Fenn Rau is criminal. Vader with Afterburners should be at least 80 pts. I laughed when I saw the Phantom changes. So you can still run three full Sigma's and some other ship like, Gideon Hask? It's exactly what I said it would be if they didn't make Phantoms 50 pts.  Yes, they took a hit but it's relatively mild and since every other top tier list also took a slight hit (Drea took a big hit actually) their relative power is similar to what it was before. I can run the same lists as before with minor concessions. This point update was pointless.

No, it is a pretty big hit to the Juke Sigmas to be +4 total each. I've been experimenting for a while with replacing the non-Juke pilot from the 4 Sigmas with something else. I've tried 7th Sister (with good results) and double Academy Pilots (also surprisingly good despite popular wisdom that Academies are bad without Howlrunner). However - replacing 4 Phantoms with 3 + something else changes the way you fly quite drastically, because nothing else moves like the Phantom and part of the 4 Phantom's strength is the way it can crab-walk along a board edge and control engagement. 3 + other is more interesting in my opinion (which is why I've been doing it) but it's challenging (i.e. harder to win with).

The only thing I don't like is that they increased Anakin's base price and 7b.
They could've easily just made the I6 7b cost be 22 points instead of 20. 65 points for CLT Anakin wouldn't be terrible, I think.

10 hours ago, SavouryRain said:

The only thing I don't like is that they increased Anakin's base price and 7b.
They could've easily just made the I6 7b cost be 22 points instead of 20. 65 points for CLT Anakin wouldn't be terrible, I think.

I guess Anakin's pilot ability being nailed to bullseye (like Soontir Fel's) means being 'forced' to take Calibrated Laser Targeting instead of Delta-7b isn't so big a deal for him because you'd be hunting for bullseye shots even in the heavier version of the fighter, which is why they wanted to up his cost whichever configuration you put him in.