Sign in to follow this  
Bullroarer Took

The Temple of Doom

3 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

Have all the player cards been spoiled yet or are we still missing a few? Plus I love that artwork for Khamûl.👍

We are still missing 1 card: 6 or 7. It is likely the only one we don't have. It comes between the Unique allies and Master events.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amicus Draconis said:

I don't know if it is just me, but the Warrior of Rhûn looks somewhat off, more like a Viking with Samurai armour.

In the Battle of Pelennor Fields, Tokien described bearded Easterlings with axes (admittedly the Warrior in the picture has a sword). It's widely believed by LoTR Geeks that these were men from Dorwinion. The culture there was one where Northmen ruled local Easterlings. The inspiration for this were the medieval Viking cultures of Russia and the Ukraine, where Viking rulers navigated using rivers such as the Volga and set up their own Princedoms such as Kiev.

I don't know if Prof Tolkien was ever explicit about this, but nonetheless its a perfectly viable theory, and if correct, it means that the picture might actually be more in tune with the books than might first be thought. 

Edited by JonG

2 hours ago, JonG said:

In the Battle of Pelennor Fields, Tokien described bearded Easterlings with axes (admittedly the Warrior in the picture has a sword). It's widely believed by LoTR Geeks that these were men from Dorwinion. The culture there was one where Northmen ruled local Easterlings. The inspiration for this were the medieval Viking cultures of Russia and the Ukraine, where Viking rulers navigated using rivers such as the Volga and set up their own Princedoms such as Kiev.

I don't know if Prof Tolkien was ever explicit about this, but nonetheless its a perfectly viable theory, and if correct, it means that the picture might actually be more in tune with the books than might first be thought. 

That's all very true (and helpful), but that doesn't make the Warrior less out of place looking.

Posted (edited)

I hope this cycle includes an Easterling hero.  Maybe a warrior whose ability relates to weapons and armor, and who doesn't rely on the Easterling trait. Really hope they don't go for an Easterling archtype unless they're ready to commit a ton of cards to it. 

Edited by pmdoug

That'd be cool. Perhaps a little what they did with Na'asiyah during the Dream-chaser cycle. Would be fun to make a deck with her, the Easterling hero, and Kahliel for an "evil men" style of deck. You won't be able to play all scenarios with the deck, but at least you won't have uniqueness issues with other players

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm down for an Easterling hero that isn't necessarily easterling tribal, something like a weapon synergy hero, as suggested, would be good. As for the appearance of the Easterlings, it's normally assumed that they should look "asian" or "middle-eastern" like they showed them in the movies, but that is really just an interpretation not necessarily contained in the text. In fact it has been suggested that, for example, the Variags (a supposedly alien southeastern group), were inspired by the varangian mercenaries in Byzantium, that is, "easternized" norse. For all we know, to Tolkien all of Middle earth except Harad and the far south could have been germanic aesthetically. Seems like they went for a Rus/Slavic barbarian look for the Easterlings, which is very appropiate IMO. As I've said recently, this game keeps getting better and better, I can't wait for this new cycle.

Edited by Gizlivadi

4 hours ago, John Constantine said:

This is not how slavic barbarians looked like thou. This is civilized slavic warrior look.

Gotta believe an actual Easterling on this lol. True, I'm not seeing deerskins with antlers on their heads. Make it medieval slavs.