Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

When do we get the real L'ulo?

So the fake L'ulo that's been in the meta for a while went up a bunch of points. And as much as I love the character I don't care if it never gets played again. 

L'ulo never flew an RZ-2, ever. His most defining characteristic as a pilot was that he doggedly stuck to his beloved RZ-1, which he knew how to fly well enough that he could keep up with all the newfangled T-70s. (Check out Wookieepedia, in the "Equipment" section if you don't believe me) https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/L'ulo_L'ampar

So would it be possible to get him in the right A-Wing ever? I love L'ulo as a character and could never bring myself to play him because he's in the wrong ship and it feels bad. 

Does anyone else care or am I being silly again? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Perchance in the packs, which they wanted to release alongside epic (shortly after wave 5).

Actually alongside wave 6 (in late Q4) :(:(:(:(:(:(

Can't wait that long for PS and ABs for my B-Wings.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

7 hours ago, Kieransi said:

So the fake L'ulo that's been in the meta for a while went up a bunch of points. And as much as I love the character I don't care if it never gets played again. 

L'ulo never flew an RZ-2, ever. His most defining characteristic as a pilot was that he doggedly stuck to his beloved RZ-1, which he knew how to fly well enough that he could keep up with all the newfangled T-70s. (Check out Wookieepedia, in the "Equipment" section if you don't believe me) https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/L'ulo_L'ampar

So would it be possible to get him in the right A-Wing ever? I love L'ulo as a character and could never bring myself to play him because he's in the wrong ship and it feels bad. 

Does anyone else care or am I being silly again? 

Just put him in an RZ1 model when you fly him and you'll feel better about it.... Really. 

I totally justify the dial adjustment and gun-toggle with his RZ1 as mild tech improvements/mad pilot skillz. 

You could always just run an RZ-1 A-Wing when using him, but using the RZ-2's dial and stats and say that his A-Wing was one of those modified during the war or between the OT and ST. Unless your opponent is really strict about it they should be okay with you using the different model.

Can't wait for Ciena Ree to actually be added to the game as a pilot, but I'd just really hope she is Int 5, mostly so she'd have the same Int as Thane. 

33 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Can't wait for Ciena Ree to actually be added to the game as a pilot, but I'd just really hope she is Int 5, mostly so she'd have the same Int as Thane. 

Yeah I'm sad we didn't get her already. I really hope for i6, although it's unlikely since Soontir already exists. I think she was a better pilot than Thane in the book. Not that I wouldn't fly her at i5, just that it would feel kind of sad that some Legends dude was considered "better," and personally I prefer flying i6 without a bid than flying i5 aces and having to engage in the bid wars (although in this meta I've started having to bid with my i6's now too). 

I don't hate Soontir, I did read the comics with him in them, he just feels a little less like something that fits with the theme of the game now. And I personally find the character a little flat.

I'd love it if Ciena was added as an i6 Interceptor and then Soontir was only legal in Extended or something, but that's unlikely. Maybe we will see her at i5 in the long-awaited "card packs"

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Yeah I'm sad we didn't get her already. I really hope for i6, although it's unlikely since Soontir already exists. I think she was a better pilot than Thane in the book. Not that I wouldn't fly her at i5, just that it would feel kind of sad that some Legends dude was considered "better," and personally I prefer flying i6 without a bid than flying i5 aces and having to engage in the bid wars (although in this meta I've started having to bid with my i6's now too). 

With all the nerfs to I5-6 I'm expecting the main bid wars will be over I4, and less over I5. I expect I6 and bid will be largely unnecessary unless you're flying 2-ship lists.

On the other hand, Obi-Wan and Plo are crazy underpriced now.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)

Well, a lot of civil war era RZ-1s could rotate their guns, they just tended to jam.  The extra blues can be explained by him being that good, and tinkering with his ship himself, and just...don’t equip tech?  He needs advanced optics less than other A-Wings anyway.

The RZ-2 is what I have argued the A-Wing should be since 2013 anyway (actually I argued it should have an aux arc, since back then mobile arcs weren’t a thing).

Edit: Also, the RZ-1 model looks like butt.

Edited by FatherTurin

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

I don't hate Soontir, I did read the comics with him in them, he just feels a little less like something that fits with the theme of the game now. And I personally find the character a little flat.

I'd love it if Ciena was added as an i6 Interceptor and then Soontir was only legal in Extended or something, but that's unlikely. Maybe we will see her at i5 in the long-awaited "card packs"

I think they were pretty equal pilots, they fly in sync a couple times in the book if I remember correctly. I'm guessing that they might try to release squadron packs for new characters but have the option out there maybe for card packs to let 1st edition players buy the cards in those packs without having to buy the squadron pack itself. I imagine that they would do something for the Empire like Ace Pilots or the like for 2 or 3 ships in the pack and something similar for the Rebels like a Blue Squadron/Heroes of Scarif pack and finally add K2 to the game. 

And I mean, Soontier is probably one of the most important legends characters, being one of the best pilots in the empire, a member of rogue squadron, was cloned by Thrawn, joined the Chiss Ascendancy, and has a legacy that led to his son marrying Jaina Solo and creating a new Empire that lasted for a decent bit. He has some fairly long reaching effects. 

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

And I mean, Soontier is probably one of the most important legends characters, being one of the best pilots in the empire, a member of rogue squadron, was cloned by Thrawn, joined the Chiss Ascendancy, and has a legacy that led to his son marrying Jaina Solo and creating a new Empire that lasted for a decent bit. He has some fairly long reaching effects. 

Yeah but do you see why that's kind of stupid?

His rap sheet just never friggin' ends. What hasn't he done? Where hasn't he been? Ugh.

34 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

His rap sheet just never friggin' ends. What hasn't he done? Where hasn't he been? Ugh.

Same could be said for characters like Han, Lando, even Luke. If it works for them, Fel can have his rap sheet.

4 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I'm pretty okay with it. I like Fel, I like Thrawn, I like Mara Jade. I love lots of the Legends characters who were well known and did lots of cool stuff. 

Its not like new canon will do anything different, it will just be changing the who, the Rebels crew was rather involved with a whole bunch of stuff and got to meet a whole bunch of important character. They will no doubt do the same with Rey, instead of Luke bringing the Jedi back she will with Leia or Poe likely to make the New New Republic. 

9 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Because this happened over years of real time and decades of in-universe time.

Anything can sound dumb if you take it completely out of context. 

Fel ends up where he does because everyone else further up the hierarchy dies in a massive, galaxy devastating war that killed trillions. And it's not like, in the right societies, war heroes don't become major political figures.

You may as well point this same accusation at Julius Caesar. "His rap sheet just never ends, he conquered Gaul, he invaded Britain, he was consul of Rome, he was the dictator of Rome, he slept with Cleopatra, he changed the friggin' calendar, his adopted son became the first Emperor of Rome, he fought in Egypt and Greece; where hasn't he been, what hasn't he done!!1111??"

5 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Its not like new canon will do anything different, it will just be changing the who, the Rebels crew was rather involved with a whole bunch of stuff and got to meet a whole bunch of important character. They will no doubt do the same with Rey, instead of Luke bringing the Jedi back she will with Leia or Poe likely to make the New New Republic. 

So much this. Star Wars is a space fantasy about larger than life characters. Of course they're involved in all the things. The audience wants to read more about the characters they've invested in.

I honestly don't know what people want. If things like the EU didn't elevate secondary characters to important narrative positions, then everyone would just complain that the main characters did everything (of course they complain about that anyway); if the EU made sure everyone only had one accomplishment and all these important parts in later stories were played by new characters that did their thing and vanished from the story, everyone would complain there were too many characters to keep track of. 

Once Ep 9 ends, it's pretty obvious we'll be getting stories about Rey for years. Filoni still clearly isn't done with Ahsoka, despite her character arc reaching satisfying conclusions several times at this point. 

15 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I don't hate Soontir, I did read the comics with him in them, he just feels a little less like something that fits with the theme of the game now.

Sure, the Red Baron In Space doesn't fit in with the game based on the scenes that used mid 20th century dogfighting as an inspiration. 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, The Penguin UK said:

Nobody tell him about Corran Horn!

Because he doesn't have Force charges? I'm cool with that, actually. Corran resigns from the starfighter corps when he starts his Jedi training. He's not a (conscious) Force user at any point while he's flying for Rogue Squadron. 

If you mean the fact he's in an E-Wing not an X-Wing, then yeah I know what you mean. Though the Rogues did use E-Wings for a time shortly before Corran retired. Him and Gavin being the two E-Wing pilots make sense, as they're both slightly later era than the rest of the faction, just like the E-Wing. 

18 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Sure, the Red Baron In Space doesn't fit in with the game based on the scenes that used mid 20th century dogfighting as an inspiration.

Specifically WWII, and Richthofen was WWI, but that's just me being pedantic.

No, they mean that by comparison to Ciena Ree appearing, Fel makes less sense. Because he does not exist in the canon.