Sign in to follow this  
Ascarel

What's up with dueling?

8 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Still, putting high mil char in pol. duel just to bow or discard your character kinda negates the whole point, you found weaker opponent and beat him to a pulp....
For example last game I had daidoji uji in pol conflict, dueling me mil, and bowing, honoring himself and breaking the province...
And since my char had - for mil it was disaster in advance...

You cant say its ok, its not...
It need to get revisited and possibly polished some more.

FWIW, my original post was not going in that direction because I agree that big characters must have the impact that is expected of them.

I continue to believe however that eating weaker characters for breakfast is fundamentally a dishonorable act. :P

Just now, Ascarel said:

FWIW, my original post was not going in that direction because I agree that big characters must have the impact that is expected of them.

I continue to believe however that eating weaker characters for breakfast is fundamentally a dishonorable act. :P

I do agree, we had seen that problem earlier in AGOT where you had loads of no name builders nightwatch overcame Red Viper... :D
And we did saw it in L5R too...

Thats why I do think duels should be possibly corrected, that bushi can only challenge bushi, and courtier well second courtier...
There you have that consistency better samurai won the duel or better courtier won the debate...

25 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Still, putting high mil char in pol. duel just to bow or discard your character kinda negates the whole point, you found weaker opponent and beat him to a pulp....
For example last game I had daidoji uji in pol conflict, dueling me mil, and bowing, honoring himself and breaking the province...
And since my char had - for mil it was disaster in advance...

You can't duel a character with a - in the relevant stat.

16 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

In that case possible Jigoku bug...
Tho I completely forgot that section in rules, tnx ^^

You're welcome. If jigoku let someone duel a character on a - stat, it's definitely a bug.

42 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Tho still, 1 v 10 and other duels that can happen, for example daidoji vs any of scorp courtiers with 1 mil, and he even gets honored after... :D
That is quite a problem...

Its sadly very accurate to how most dueling actually works though in real life,  Usually one opponent is more skilled then the other so is using the duel to force a concession or just beat that opponent down.  What we really need is a effect that would allow you to substitute a challenged character for another one you control so that you can have Yojimbo doing their job and acting as duel stand ins for their boss.

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

Its sadly very accurate to how most dueling actually works though in real life,  Usually one opponent is more skilled then the other so is using the duel to force a concession or just beat that opponent down.  What we really need is a effect that would allow you to substitute a challenged character for another one you control so that you can have Yojimbo doing their job and acting as duel stand ins for their boss.

This sounds quite good as an idea!
Not to mention that out of the 3 only Shiba Yōjimbō  does what he is paid to do... :D
The rest just slack on their job... :D