Sign in to follow this  
dadocollin

Decimator + Mini Swarm

With the new changes coming in July, Decimators saw a drop and got an additional crew slot.  That intrigues me because of the combo of Death Troopers and Admiral Sloane (who dropped a point as well).  I thought I'd create a place to brainstorm some Decimator + mini swarm ideas.  Below is the first one I came up with.  I think Ruthless would be good here to help winnow down your Ties so they get shot and set off Sloane.  Alternatively, you could drop Ruthless and pick up Agile or Vet. Turret Gunner for 8 points.  Not sure which gunner would be best here.  

VT-49 Decimator - •Captain Oicunn - 108
    •Captain Oicunn - Inspired Tactician (74)
        Ruthless (1)
        •Death Troopers (6)
        •Admiral Sloane (9)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Hull Upgrade (2)
        •Dauntless (4)
        Hotshot Gunner (7)

TIE/ln Fighter - Academy Pilot - 23
    Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Total: 200/200

Posted (edited)

Going down to Patrol Leader creates room to take Howlrunner. Howlrunner gives the TIEs teeth before Sloane is active. That way they can't just ignore your TIEs. If they dive past the TIEs to destroy Sloane the TIEs still have chance to save the day. If they dive on Howlrunner or the TIEs then you're procing Sloane.

If you stay with Oicunn I think hotshot and maybe the proton bombs aren't good here. I'm not a big fan of diving in with the Sloane bus since it makes it an easier target, but you could drop hotshot and bombs for something like Kallus or 5th Brother. That sets you up with passive attack mods so you reinforce without sacrificing offensive power. You could even go up to Intimidation over Ruthless to boost the attack power of the group.

Either way make sure to lead with the TIEs. If you bring the decimator in to dive on a target to early they're going to hard swap to take out Sloane. I personally think with a Sloane list it needs to present something that's an equal or greater threat than Sloane. Otherwise they will ignore the squad to remove the real threat. 

Edited by TheDoctor084

19 hours ago, dadocollin said:

With the new changes coming in July, Decimators saw a drop and got an additional crew slot.  That intrigues me because of the combo of Death Troopers and Admiral Sloane (who dropped a point as well).  I thought I'd create a place to brainstorm some Decimator + mini swarm ideas.  Below is the first one I came up with.  I think Ruthless would be good here to help winnow down your Ties so they get shot and set off Sloane.  Alternatively, you could drop Ruthless and pick up Agile or Vet. Turret Gunner for 8 points.  Not sure which gunner would be best here.  

VT-49 Decimator - •Captain Oicunn - 108
    •Captain Oicunn - Inspired Tactician (74)
        Ruthless (1)
        •Death Troopers (6)
        •Admiral Sloane (9)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Hull Upgrade (2)
        •Dauntless (4)
        Hotshot Gunner (7)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Total: 200/200

I would change Oicunn to RAC and ditch all upgrades beside Sloane. With the saved points I would buy additional Academy Pilot. 200 on the spot. More TIE's the better for Sloane. You could try to shave points differently ex Downgrading to Patrol Leader and adding Jerjerod or something. 

5 hours ago, BoskiChe said:

I would change Oicunn to RAC and ditch all upgrades beside Sloane. With the saved points I would buy additional Academy Pilot. 200 on the spot. More TIE's the better for Sloane. You could try to shave points differently ex Downgrading to Patrol Leader and adding Jerjerod or something. 

Tinkering with my list a bit I really agree this might be the way to go for the Sloane bus. I'm thinking something like this myself:

RAC + Sloane + Shield Upgrade + Ruthless (89)
Howlrunner (40)
Academy Pilot (23)
Academy Pilot (23)
Academy Pilot (23)
Total: 198

Just now, TheDoctor084 said:

Tinkering with my list a bit I really agree this might be the way to go for the Sloane bus. I'm thinking something like this myself:

RAC + Sloane + Shield Upgrade + Ruthless (89)
Howlrunner (40)
Academy Pilot (23)
Academy Pilot (23)
Academy Pilot (23)
Total: 198

You don't need Howlrunner. Sloane gives re-rolls.

I prefer having Howlrunner any time I have more than two Academy TIEs. Every time I've tried running a Sloane swarm in the past my opponent ignores the TIEs and dives on the Sloane bus. Having Howlrunner present makes the TIEs a threat even without Sloane. If they dive Sloane the TIEs can still do some heavy lifting. If they go to take Howlrunner off the board, then Sloane activates. It creates a dynamic where the opponent can't just ignore the TIEs and take Sloane out before she can proc. 

Posted (edited)

Not a mini-swarm list but still Decimator-related:

Idea is for Chiraneau and Feroph to bump to trigger Intimidation to make the Plasmas go through easier. Alerions should help trigger that.

Empire Squad

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(9) Seventh Sister
(7) Minister Tua
(3) Intimidation

(41) Major Vynder [Alpha-class Star Wing]
(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Fire-Control System
(9) Plasma Torpedoes

(47) Captain Feroph [TIE Reaper]
(3) Intimidation