Jump to content
DXCrazytrain

Trip Silencers

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

OK, I can see that too, so this variant perhaps:

Knights Three

(76) Kylo Ren [TIE/vn Silencer]
(1) Predictive Shot
Points: 77

(57) "Recoil" [TIE/vn Silencer]
(1) Marksmanship
Points: 58

(63) "Blackout" [TIE/vn Silencer]
(2) Fanatical
Points: 65

Total points: 200

Maybe not Predictive and just have a 1pt bid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So played three games with Rush proxied over the weekend in Bitterfig’s first triple suggestion.

He went to I6 once and was a massive pain when he did. But he was also great at I2. It kinda frees you to be quite aggressive in chasing blocks as it’s not a disaster if he trades fire. That also allows the other two ships to go to work while Rush takes the aggro due to his positioning. 
I’m a fan - if we get confirmation that new content is legal for the U.K. SO I think that’s my list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

OK, I can see that too, so this variant perhaps:

Knights Three

(76) Kylo Ren [TIE/vn Silencer]
(1) Predictive Shot
Points: 77

(57) "Recoil" [TIE/vn Silencer]
(1) Marksmanship
Points: 58

(63) "Blackout" [TIE/vn Silencer]
(2) Fanatical
Points: 65

Total points: 200

It's mostly a choice between Marksmanship Recoil, and Fanatical FOTP.  MMS Recoil is going to be a bit better at activating ISYTDS, if Kylo is handing that out sometime.  There's some benefit to that.  FOTP, however, has Fanatical, which seems more generally beneficial.  Easier to spend focus on defense, if you've got Fanatical helping out the offense, and if you're in a safe spot you can lock for double mods.

8 hours ago, Deffly said:

Maybe not Predictive and just have a 1pt bid? 

Yeah, Predictive Shot is not very good.  It can be a very slight damage buff against ships rolling 3 or more agility dice, but can also easily spend the force without any real effect.  I'd rather have the bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news from you guys regarding this archetype?

If you're interested, First Earth streamed two games containing triple silencers: 

1) Blackout + 2 Test Pilots

2) Kylo, Blackout + Rush

Both lists made the cut.

I tried the second list and really enjoyed it. The thing that I don't like was the lack of modifications on Blackout and Rush. On the other hand Rush is extremely versatile. Adv. Optics and Fanatical are just so good on these ships... but then you have to sacrifice Kylo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about Rush: When does his Initiative 6 ability activate? As soon as he suffers damage? Or during the next phase or turn?

Rush ability: "While you are damaged, treat your initiative as 6."

During UK System Open, i was distracted and didn't catch the reasoning for this trigger.

Currently, I'm using the following as my testbed learning the TieBA chassis:

First Order Provocateur (45)
Daredevil (2)

First Order Provocateur (45)
Daredevil (2)

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)
Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FastWalker said:

Question about Rush: When does his Initiative 6 ability activate? As soon as he suffers damage? Or during the next phase or turn?

From the rules reference:

Q: If "Rush" becomes damaged during the Engagement Phase 
before the initiative 2 step, causing its initiative to become 
"6", what happens?
A: "Rush" engages at the current initiative step, after all other ships at that 
step have engaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with Kylo, Blackout and Rush (all naked). The list felt good (because Kylo) but Blackout and Rush haven’t had enough mods to do the work. So I switched over to Blackout with two First Order Testpilots. Every ship has Fanatical and Adv. Optics which leaves me with a nice 7 point bid. The list is a blast to fly because

1) The combination of Fanatical and Optics is really efficient. (2.7 hits)

2) Spending the Focus for defense doesn’t hurt that much because of Fanatical

3) I4 is pretty strong in Hyperspace especially with a 7 point bid

4) 3 Silencers are looking so cool on the table

So I took the list to a tournament. We played 4 games and I won all of them. I basically had three aces in 3 of the 4 games. Having double repositioning combined with 6 hitpoints makes Silencers super hard to pin down. The final game I played against double Firespray. It was super tough because Boba moved after both I4 silencers. Blackout on the other hand moved after the Mandalorian and was able to do lots of work. Blackouts ability at r2 to Boba got him down to half points which won me the game. 

The list is now a strong contender for the upcoming sos

Edited by Ryuneke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 3:00 PM, FastWalker said:

Question about Rush: When does his Initiative 6 ability activate? As soon as he suffers damage? Or during the next phase or turn?

Rush ability: "While you are damaged, treat your initiative as 6."

During UK System Open, i was distracted and didn't catch the reasoning for this trigger.

Currently, I'm using the following as my testbed learning the TieBA chassis:

First Order Provocateur (45)
Daredevil (2)

First Order Provocateur (45)
Daredevil (2)

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)
Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I have been using this for a bit now, wanted to get into using generics over aces. I like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

I have been using this for a bit now, wanted to get into using generics over aces. I like it. 

The I3 /ba's are horribly overcosted for what they are. The fact that the other generic FO ships are amazing value make it even more vexing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Deffly said:

The I3 /ba's are horribly overcosted for what they are. The fact that the other generic FO ships are amazing value make it even more vexing. 

I think the Engineers are 1-3 points over too. So here is to another 6 month wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

I think the Engineers are 1-3 points over too. So here is to another 6 month wait. 

Yeah, Same Team, but I think they may never break the <51pt barrier..... 

Provocateur's are 15, yes 15, points more expensive than the v1 Baron. Whereas the /fo is only 3pts more than the regular /ln. Yes the /ba gets more extra things but also gives up quite a bit to get action economy. 

Edited by Deffly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can kinda agree with TIE/ba being a bit overpriced, but don't really mind.  They're such an odd ship, really flexible, and able to put out a lot of damage when left alone.  FFG being safe with the price seemed wise.  I could easily see them at 41. Going under 40 really would make me nervous, though.  The flexibility and high potential offensive output, on an Init 3 ship, just seems like it'd be a bit too much.

Engineers... I dunno.  Spamming generic Engineers has felt good to me whenever I've done it, even if the best I can put with them is a stacked TIE/fo.  I'd love to fly four of them, but I'm not convinced they really need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some great success with:

Kylo: Advanced Optics, Proton Torpedoes

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer

Sienar-Jaemus Engineer

(5pt bid)

Initiative 1 silencers will surprise you just how good at blocking and beefy they are to still stick around and claim targets! They're annoying enough to let Kylo get those valuable torps off and force crits into targets like Fangs!

 

Edited by Sir Killalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Deffly said:

The I3 /ba's are horribly overcosted for what they are. The fact that the other generic FO ships are amazing value make it even more vexing. 

I would strongly disagree here. They punch really hard for 45 points without any additional support or upgrades. I've put them on the table about 7 games now and they always pull their weight. I could see an argument for a 1-2 point reduction, but that ship ability is extremely good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, hargleblarg said:

I would strongly disagree here. They punch really hard for 45 points without any additional support or upgrades. I've put them on the table about 7 games now and they always pull their weight. I could see an argument for a 1-2 point reduction, but that ship ability is extremely good.

Slightly off-topic, but what you been running alongside the /ba generics?

Edited by andyee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hargleblarg said:

I would strongly disagree here. They punch really hard for 45 points without any additional support or upgrades. I've put them on the table about 7 games now and they always pull their weight. I could see an argument for a 1-2 point reduction, but that ship ability is extremely good.

Do you mind sharing your list? I think I agree they are good ships, my issue has been constructing a good LIST with them in it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

Do you mind sharing your list? I think I agree they are good ships, my issue has been constructing a good LIST with them in it 

It's not extremely relevant to this thread since I don't use silencers, but here it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 4:19 AM, Ryuneke said:

Any news from you guys regarding this archetype?

If you're interested, First Earth streamed two games containing triple silencers: 

1) Blackout + 2 Test Pilots

I have this list in my game night kit. My list includes a Mag Pulse on Blackout. I'm not sure if it will be effective but I don't think a 7 point bid is needed in a list with no I 6's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, T70 Driver said:

I have this list in my game night kit. My list includes a Mag Pulse on Blackout. I'm not sure if it will be effective but I don't think a 7 point bid is needed in a list with no I 6's.

I played two tournaments with the list and came to the conclusion that the bid is necessary (at least for myself). 

In all my practice and tournament matches the bid helped against:

- Boba (double Firespray or with two friends)
- Jedi
- I4 Fangs
- Kylo
- Holo
- Resistancec A-Wings
- Duchess

Only Boba+Fenn is bidding deep in Hyperspace right now. With a 7 point bid I won the bidding game against any other list. If all your Silencers are moving last, you basically have 3 highly maneuverable aces that are hard to pin down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

I played two tournaments with the list and came to the conclusion that the bid is necessary (at least for myself). 

In all my practice and tournament matches the bid helped against:

- Boba (double Firespray or with two friends)
- Jedi
- I4 Fangs
- Kylo
- Holo
- Resistancec A-Wings
- Duchess

Only Boba+Fenn is bidding deep in Hyperspace right now. With a 7 point bid I won the bidding game against any other list. If all your Silencers are moving last, you basically have 3 highly maneuverable aces that are hard to pin down.

Good point. I forget that I 4's and 5's are populating the tournament scene in bigger numbers these days and the 7 point bid would help against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to ask you guys something. Right now I'm discussing possible loadouts with players in my local community. 

The pilots are always the same: Blackout + 2 FO Test Pilots

1) Everyone has Fanatical + Optics

2) Everyone has Outmaneuver

3) Blackout has Outmaneuver, the Testpilots running Fanatical + Optics

What build do you prefer and why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is optics worth it on a 3 attack dice ship?

I can see why you would put it on Kylo, but not sure about the other ships as I would expect you would roll at least one focus anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Andyf1702 said:

Is optics worth it on a 3 attack dice ship?

I can see why you would put it on Kylo, but not sure about the other ships as I would expect you would roll at least one focus anyway

The combination between fanatical and optics is great. 3 dice will do 2.8 hits whereas just a focus only generates 2.25 hits. It becomes even better on a 4 dice attack:A focus token generates 3.0 hits. Optics and fanatical 3.55.

with that in mind the silencers hitting pretty hard after the shields are down which will happen.

Edited by Ryuneke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

7 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

Want to ask you guys something. Right now I'm discussing possible loadouts with players in my local community. 

The pilots are always the same: Blackout + 2 FO Test Pilots

1) Everyone has Fanatical + Optics

2) Everyone has Outmaneuver

3) Blackout has Outmaneuver, the Testpilots running Fanatical + Optics

What build do you prefer and why? 

Fanatical Optics.  Mathematically speaking, when you're able and willing to spend focus on it, Optics is almost as good as Outmaneuver.  However, it'll work from any position.  You need to spend that token, but you've got a ship where it's really easy to focus every turn.

The advantage of Outmaneuver is you can more freely double reposition.  That's nice, but I don't trust Init 4 enough to really take advantage of that.  Getting out-of-arc attacks isn't super easy, and against a lot of opponents, it probably just won't happen often enough to be worth the cost.

I was flying some Outmaneuver Red T-70s fairly lately, and when it comes down to it, I'd rather just have Heroic/Optics, since the damage is essentially the same, but it's position-agnostic.  I feel like I'm going to have a lot more turns where I have a token I can spend, than turns when I've activated the positional requirements on Outmaneuver.

But in addition to that, you can also get Fanatical, which is great.  It's the best passive dice mods talent in this edition of X-Wing, IMHO.  Fanatical also enables double reposition, since you'll have that passive "calculate" effect.  That's also about as good as Outmaneuver.  Depends on whether the defender has a focus token, but Fanatical seems better against a 2 or 3 agility ship without Focus, Outmaneuver against one with Focus.

5 hours ago, Andyf1702 said:

Is optics worth it on a 3 attack dice ship?

I can see why you would put it on Kylo, but not sure about the other ships as I would expect you would roll at least one focus anyway

Yes, it is worth it.  When it comes to statistics, you've got to trust math more than intuition.  You're as likely to roll Hit/Hit/Blank as Hit/Focus/Blank (treating crits as hits).  I don't feel like going into the combinatorics, but the dice calc shows some really fast results if you're willing to play with it a bit.

  • 3 dice Focused: 2.25 hits.
  • 3 dice Focus/Optics: 2.547 hits. http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/2/multi_preset/?d=AAAAAAAAAAAA&a1=CwMAAA
    • That's about 0.3 more hits per attack, and a 61% chance of 3 hits, a 33% chance of 2, and a 6% chance of only 1 hit
    • On top of that, you'll sometimes also have Fanatical active, for 2.781 hits per attack.
  • 2 Dice Focused: 1.5 hits
  • 2 Dice Focus/Optics: 1.813 hits.
    • That's also about 0.3 more hits per attack.

With that large of a chance of 3 hits, Optics 3 dice attackers have a much better chance to push damage on high-agility targets.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...