DXCrazytrain

Trip Silencers

Kylo 2 I4 Silencers

(76) Kylo Ren [TIE/vn Silencer] (3) Brilliant Evasion Points: 79

(58) First Order Test Pilot [TIE/vn Silencer] (2) Fanatical Points: 60

(58) First Order Test Pilot [TIE/vn Silencer] (2) Fanatical Points: 60

Total points: 199

Edited by DXCrazytrain

I dunno.  I know Brilliant Evasion got buffed, and Kylo being a 3-agility ship might be one of the better ones to use it, but it just irks me to fly the two silencer pilotss who didn't have their points go down.  Also, Brilliant Evasion vs Hate seems like a tough choice for the same 3 points.  Both can be seen as saving force points.  Brilliant Evasion lets you spend 1 when you'd otherwise need to spend 2, but only when you roll 2 focus.  Hate does mean you have to take damage, but that often happens in a game whether you want it to happen or not.

However, what about this:

• Kylo (shirtless) 76
  • Blackout (Fanatical) 65
    • I was already on the fence between Fanatical/Trick Shot, but considering that TS went up 2 points, I'm fine with just Fanatical.  I stink at getting obstructed shots anyhow.
  • Avenger (Fanatical) 59
    • Init 3 rather than Init 4 is unfortunate, but Blackout being Init 5 seems like enough of an improvement that it's worth it.
    • Being a point cheaper than a FOTP seems like it'll make Avenger potentially actually playable.
    • And the free action might come in handy, particularly considering that with Autothrusters, it can potentially be two actions.  Maybe Avenger simply sat somewhere with a Focus and no stress.  Then someone dies, and you can Lock and Boost, maybe getting a shot when you didn't have one in the first place.  I can see myself being surprised by this ability actually mattering in some games.
  • Total 200

I don't love Hate on Kylo because you don't want him taking shots and Brilliant Evasion seems more in line with that goal. With B.E. Kylo can more often take a target lock and use one force for an eyeball and save the other Force for defense. With the target lock he should really only need one force cuz hopefully he can roll more hits. And then on defense one force is as good as a focus token mathematically. I think. That's what I want to test anyway.

Dang, I'm happy I wasn't the only one with a similar idea. Give me some hope that's it's not all bad :P.

I played
Kylo - Advan. Optic
FO Test Pilot - Fanatic
FO Test Pilot - Fanatic
200 points
and it was wonderful. Lost 1 game, won 2. The one I lost was arguably because of lack of bid (Played against @dotswarlock 2 brobots, both with I4, and he too had a full 200 points. Lost the roll off and let's just say the the game was pretty short after that.) I think the list just a few points less to be truly competitive ( changing advanced optic for hate is probably the right call here in that case!) But it's definitly lot's of fun!

Recoil with Marksmanship seems like they could be an interesting wingmate to Kylo.  59 points, with a crit-forcing talent to try to trigger ISYTDS.

I suppose that's the same price as Avenger with Fanatical.  Hrm.

Kylo/Fanatical Blackout/Marksmanship Recoil...

5 minutes ago, Ryuneke said:

Whats interesting:

You can run Recoil for the same cost as the Test Pilot. Both have the same initiative. So Recoils ability is 0 points or the FO Test Pilot is overpriced...

Going with a bullseye-based talent rather than Fanatical is pretty even, and mostly just a different style rather than a more powerful ship.  But all in all, it seems like a decent-enough pilot ability to price at 0 points (50 point Joy Reckoff when?).  Proton Rockets might gain substantially with the pilot ability, however.

Say...

Two Fanatical/Proton Rocket FOTP, Marksmanship/Proton Rocket Recoil. That's some spike-damage potential.  I know I've wished for a 1-point cut to the FOTP just to run 3x Fanatical P-Rocket, and Marksmanship on Recoil can kinda become that cut.

So after fiddling with the squad builder all week, I think I finally found the right combination.

Silencer Salad (200/200) =======================

TIE/vn Silencer: Kylo Ren (76 + 9) + Sense (5) + Advanced Optics (4)

TIE/vn Silencer: First Order Test Pilot (58 + 6) + Fanatical (2) + Advanced Optics (4)

TIE/vn Silencer: Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)

I'm pretty eager to play it tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes.

7 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

So after fiddling with the squad builder all week, I think I finally found the right combination.

Silencer Salad (200/200) =======================

TIE/vn Silencer: Kylo Ren (76 + 9) + Sense (5) + Advanced Optics (4)

TIE/vn Silencer: First Order Test Pilot (58 + 6) + Fanatical (2) + Advanced Optics (4)

TIE/vn Silencer: Sienar-Jaemus Engineer (51)

I'm pretty eager to play it tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes.

Sense Kylo + Engineer seems cool.  All aboard the block train!

I'm not gonna lie, I like 2 more fully formed Silencers and a cheap 3rd, whether it be a silencer or otherwise. Kylo with Hate and AdOps and Recoil with Predator and AdOps, the 2 best silencers for sheer efficiency imo, leave room for a basic generic, 2 Epsilon blockers, or a TIE F/O ace

11 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

Any news regarding this archetype? I’m looking forward playing it anytime soon. 

There will probably be more variant once Vonreg's interceptor comes out. Something like one Tie-Ba supported by 2 silencers, things like that (It won't be true tripslancer, but it will probably be close enough! :P)

I tried this last game night:

TIE/vn Silencer - First Order Test Pilot - 67
    First Order Test Pilot - (58)
        Fanatical (2)
        Proton Rockets (7)

TIE/vn Silencer - •“Recoil” - 66
    •“Recoil” - Quantity Over Quality (58)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Proton Rockets (7)

TIE/vn Silencer - First Order Test Pilot - 67
    First Order Test Pilot - (58)
        Fanatical (2)
        Proton Rockets (7)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Lost every single game. I don't know if it is the list or me. My impression is that these three ships are fillers. I was missing an ace or a star with fancy habilities.

19 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

There will probably be more variant once Vonreg's interceptor comes out. Something like one Tie-Ba supported by 2 silencers, things like that (It won't be true tripslancer, but it will probably be close enough! :P)

I think two is in a better spot than three, though I appreciate that isn’t as cool.

Kylo and Blackout with Midnight for example. Or perhaps two Epsilon Pilots? 

Finally flew the 3x FOTP with Fanatical & Proton Rockets I've been dreaming about ever since they handed out alt-art Proton Rockets.  The PRockets were ok.  Single-mod 5-dice attacks can sometimes be sad.  Both times, I had 3 hits with them: once into Oicunn, once into Vader (who had a focus token and 3 paint).

But Fanatical FOTP can just feel pretty nice.  With their new 2 point price drop, I think they feel quite good.

//

Anyhow, what's the current state of Triple Silencer?

• Kylo: Unchanged at 76.  Hyperspace removes some options like Hate and Sense (SNR never fit into Trip Silencer anyhow).
  • Blackout: Unchanged at 63.  Hyperspace removes Trick Shot, but 4 point Trick Shot might have been a reach anyhow.
  • Recoil: Down 1 to 57, but all the bullseye upgrades (Crack Shot, Predator, Marksmanship, Proton Rockets) are out of Hyperspace, so this fellow is a point more than FOTP for pretty much nothing.
  • Avenger: Down 1 to 56.  I'm not sure a 3-ship list is enough to justify them, but it's an option.
  • Sienar Jaemus Engineer: Unchanged at 51, but with Sense out, the reason to bring one of these seems slimmer.
  • First Order Test Pilot: Down 2 to 56.  This is kinda big.
  • Rush: new pilot, 57 points, but doesn't have a talent slot for Fanatical.  Is Init 6 better than Fanatical?  Maybe.  Time will tell.
  • New Talent: Proud Tradition:
    • On a TIE/fo or TIE/sf, it's probably good.  You've got a somewhat disposable ship, and they can get by decently with red Focus actions (or not focusing in favor of other actions).  30 points for an Omega FO who can 4K or 2 S-Loop to keep guns on is pretty nice.
    • On a TIE/vn, I think Proud Tradition is just bad.
      • Silencers probably don't need to Focus while stressed as much.  It's not too hard to clear stress with blues, and these folks don't pull too many red moves.
      • They cost too much.  Proud Tradition is almost a single-use upgrade like Crack Shot.  Force an enemy to take a crit or save rather than spend a Focus token.  When a ship costs as much as a Silencer, you don't really want to go for a single-use upgrade that isn't really good.
      • The red focus drawback of False Tradition is much too hard.  This locks you out of Autothrusters.  You can't evade if you want to go defensive, like a /fo or /sf can.

//

The elephant in the room: Vonreg.  Vonreg + Silencers might be a better list than Trip Silencer.  But it isn't Triple Silencer.  I consider 3 Silencers to be a specific kind of itch that sometimes you just have to scratch.  I don't see this necessarily as a thread about creating the best First Order list, but working on a specific archetype of list.

//

Trip Silencer Archetypes.

• Kylo + Blackout (Fanatical) + Rush.  The new one.  Presuming Fanatical on Blackout, there's a 2 point bid.  That's not very high, but could be worse.  5/5/6 is pretty nice initiative when it works, and Init 2 as a blocker is still reasonable.
  • Kylo + Blackout (Fanatical) + FOTP (Fanatical).  This fits now, and has a 1-point bid.  Highest printed initiative, with potential passive mods on everyone.
    • Avenger for FOTP is possible.  Is the bonus action when someone dies worth the loss of Init 4?  Only your local meta can tell.
  • Kylo + Blackout (Fanatical) + Sienar-Jaemus Engineer.  Without Sense, this is less tempting, but there's 8 points to play with.  The advantage over Kylo FOTP FOTP is that you've got a second Init 5, and maybe the Init 1 is a better blocker.
    • Bid 8.  That's not going to beat Boba/Fenn, but it probably beats a lot of Init 5 lists, and having two Init 5s isn't too bad.  This is probably my favorite option.
    • Advanced Optics for Kylo.  It's a decent offensive buff, but puts a soft-restriction on Kylo's actions.  I think it's nice, but not stapled on.
    • Pattern Analyzer for Kylo if not Hyperspace.  I'm not a big fan, since PA and Autothrusters are kind of mutually exclusive.
    • Brilliant Evasion for Kylo.  BE is a not-that-bad force efficiency talent.  I think it's not as good as Hate would be, but Hate is out of Hyperspace.
    • Heightened Perception for Kylo.  I think this might have juice, and makes Kylo a bit more threatening to
    • Ordnance for Kylo:
      • Advanced Proton Torpedoes: da big boomba.  Certainly cool.  Is it worth it?
      • Mag-Pulse Warheads: I'm not completely sold on it.  Init 5 isn't super early, and you won't knock a lock off of Vader before he shoots.  Could be nice if there's a lot of Ordnance out there.  Once more on-table reports are in, I can see it being good even without enemy Ordnance.  I'm not an early adopter of MPW, but if they work out, hey.  Great.
      • Other?  Naw.
    • Primed Thrusters for the SJEngineer.  Oddly kinda tempting.  These things can really move, and with PT opening up their dial even more, that's interesting.  Worth giving up Init 4 and Fanatical?  Hard to say, but it seems like it's a ship with a purpose.
  • Kylo + FOTP (Fanatical) + FOTP (Fanatical).  This has the same 8 points to play with as Kylo + BO(F) + SJE.  The advantage is that you've got two Init 4s with Passive mods.
    • Same upgrade options, pretty much.
  • Three FOTP (Fanatical).  There's more points than ever to play with.  At 58 each, there's a total of 26 points to spare.  That's 8 per ship.
    • Primed Thrusters on each.  Mobility while stressed, plus passive mods.  Seems good.
      • This is also the epitome of what I mean by Triple Silencer being something to play when you're chasing a particular feeling, a certain kind of mood, rather than simply looking for a strong list.  This is three mid-init Aces, rather tanky statlines, all with passive offensive mods, and some incredible mobility.
      • I like Primed Thrusters more than the idea of Pattern Analyzer on an Autothrusters ship.
    • Advanced Optics.  A decent offensive boost, even before your Fanatical gets activated.
      • If going triple Advanced Optics, you'd be able to afford Blackout instead of one of the FOTP, and you'll still have a 7 point bid.  That doesn't sound too bad.
    • Ordnance:
      • Advanced Proton Torpedoes: Big effect if you can set it up, but I don't really see it.  Fanatical is Primary-only, which limits things.
      • Mag Pulse Warheads: Seems hard for a squad (particularly a 3-ship one) to win if it's making too many 1-hit-maximum attacks, but Deplete can restrict an opponent's moves next turn.  I'm not sold on them, but if they work out for other folks, great.
      • Nothing else seems worth mentioning/considering in ordnance.
    • I suppose you could bring a 4th ship in those 26 points.  Epsilon Cadet seems like the best pick.  Blocker TIE, plus three chonky baby-aces?
  • Honorable Mention: 3 Sienar-Jaemus Engineers, + a 47 point 4th ship.
    • Probably a TIE/fo that's pretty stacked.  Sometimes, getting one more ship is the best thing.
    • Once the Xi shuttle is out, maybe one of those fits in with 3 SJE, but that's a long ways off.  I'm looking forward to it, though.
Edited by theBitterFig

Great write up. I’m pretty sure I’m taking three Silencers to the U.K. system open. I like Kylo, Blackout and Rush best of the options you’ve outlined but that’s making the assumption he is legal 🤞. His ability to play the role of blocker or ace seems really appealing in that third slot. 
I am, however, an advocate of the three Engineers plus one. I played a lot of three and Midnight pre points, and that should be better in hyperspace now. Malarus is an interesting call. The Engineers are just so good at blocking and creating kill boxes 

3 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

I am, however, an advocate of the three Engineers plus one. I played a lot of three and Midnight pre points, and that should be better in hyperspace now. Malarus is an interesting call.

Malarus was me being inspired by your write-up of the list ages ago, but not wanting to copy Midnight. ;)

3 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

The Engineers are just so good at blocking and creating kill boxes 

I'm really starting to come around on heavy blockers.  SJ Engineers, Zealous Recruits, and Blue T-70s with BB Astromech all seem a lot better on table than they look on paper.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Malarus was me being inspired by your write-up of the list ages ago, but not wanting to copy Midnight. ;)

I'm really starting to come around on heavy blockers.  SJ Engineers, Zealous Recruits, and Blue T-70s with BB Astromech all seem a lot better on table than they look on paper.

Really good analysis in your (up scroll) diatribe; I’ll need to read it multiple times to get the full 911. Thanks!

No bid sure, but that dial?!? I like:

Knights Three

(76) Kylo Ren [TIE/vn Silencer]
(3) Hate

(57) "Recoil" [TIE/vn Silencer]

(63) "Blackout" [TIE/vn Silencer]
(1) Marksmanship

Total points: 200

Maybe if I get my hands on “Rush,” we’ll sub him in as the aggressive bait?

...those dials 😊😊😊

4 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

Really good analysis in your (up scroll) diatribe; I’ll need to read it multiple times to get the full 911. Thanks!

No bid sure, but that dial?!? I like:

Knights Three

(3) Hate

(1) Marksmanship

Maybe if I get my hands on “Rush,” we’ll sub him in as the aggressive bait?

...those dials 😊😊😊

What is the point in Recoil? 

You are paying 1pt more than the FOTP for pretty much nothing. 

1 hour ago, Deffly said:

What is the point in Recoil? 

Point taken.... sloppy thought maybe?

Knights Three

(3) Hate

(1) Marksmanship

6 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Point taken.... sloppy thought maybe?

Knights Three

(3) Hate

(1) Marksmanship

Looks better 😊

Only suggestion could be swapping Hate on Kylo for Fanatical on Blackout, but that comes down to personal preference. 

40 minutes ago, Deffly said:

Looks better 😊

Only suggestion could be swapping Hate on Kylo for Fanatical on Blackout, but that comes down to personal preference. 

OK, I can see that too, so this variant perhaps:

Knights Three

(1) Predictive Shot

(1) Marksmanship

(2) Fanatical