AceWing

Points Update Question

Posted (edited)

I don't know what that has to do with anything. I literally don't know a single person that uses the official app. Why are we downloading 7+ documents for a points update? Also, it's 2019 bro. Use Launch Bay Next. 

Edited by AceWing

2 minutes ago, AceWing said:

I don't know what that has to do with anything. I literally don't know a single person that uses the official app. Why are we downloading 7+ documents for a points update? Also, it's 2019 bro. Use Launch Bay Next. 

So that if there is an emergency points change or changes limited to only 1 or two factions we're not looking at a meg+ single file to redownload just to be up to date on those few changes. As annoying as it may be to you, it gives them more flexibility.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

So that if there is an emergency points change or changes limited to only 1 or two factions we're not looking at a meg+ single file to redownload just to be up to date on those few changes. As annoying as it may be to you, it gives them more flexibility.

A.  I think the only thing FFG would recognize as an "emergency" is everyone quitting tomorrow.  Failing that:

B.  It's a game.  Basically there is no such thing as an emergency.

Besides, there are the same number of changes to be made whether it is in 1 doc or 8, so other than players printing (see below} there is no difference at all.

2 hours ago, AceWing said:

FFG, can you just put all the points in one ******* document?!?

I gotta agree with this.  Multiple documents leave open the possibility that someone fails to download 1 of 8 docs and does not realize they are playing with OOD materials.

FFG can paginate the format so players can print the faction they want easily.  But One PDF To Rule Them All would be best.

1 hour ago, AceWing said:

Use Launch Bay Next. 

I thought the creator bailed on this project.

2 hours ago, AceWing said:

I guess you don't know me but i do use it... and i prefer it over launch bay next. I cant stand launch bay next. Really all i need is them to add condition cards and i would now say the app is very good. 

Also most people i know in person use the official app.

as to the multiple files, i prefer having them separated if i need to look at separatists ships i can just open that file and find everything quick and easy.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

A.  I think the only thing FFG would recognize as an "emergency" is everyone quitting tomorrow.  Failing that:

Tripsilon...

5 hours ago, AceWing said:

I use the official app.  It may not be the fanciest of the apps available, but it's perfectly serviceable now, and I think most of the hatred toward it is just a hold-over from the bugs that plagued it at release.

4 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Besides, there are the same number of changes to be made whether it is in 1 doc or 8, so other than players printing (see below} there is no difference at all.

I gotta agree with this.  Multiple documents leave open the possibility that someone fails to download 1 of 8 docs and does not realize they are playing with OOD materials.

FFG can paginate the format so players can print the faction they want easily.  But One PDF To Rule Them All would be best.

I thought the creator bailed on this project.

Nah launch bay next was updated within an hour of the stream. Its my favourite app to use 

1 hour ago, Schu81 said:

FFG has to look the point updates up first. They're probably checking YASB right now.

But they've already posted the documents...  O_o

3 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

This time they've colored the changes with blue (points decrease and slot add/change) or red (points increase)

They even covered slot changes explicitly at the very bottom of each affected list.

6 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I use the official app.  It may not be the fanciest of the apps available, but it's perfectly serviceable now, and I think most of the hatred toward it is just a hold-over from the bugs that plagued it at release.

There's a few things it does poorly, IMHO.  The information is all very bulky, making it a bit harder to scroll through than other builders.  There's no option to duplicate a ship, and there's no option to chance a pilot within a ship type (swap Luke for Wedge, etc).  I feel like this holds it back as a composition tool.

To that end, I'm irked by YASB's hard block of more than the maximum number of limited pilots or upgrades.  I might set up a named pilot, give them a few upgrades, hit duplicate since I want to go into another named pilot, and it automatically will revert to the lowest generic, which usually means losing Talent upgrades in the process.  I prefer a system where exceeding the Limited cap throws a bright warning flag, but I can still do it, since my goal is often playing around, adjusting and composing.

I normally do not use the Official Squad Builder, but the last HST I went to insisted. 

Turns out, you can't print a list without saving it first.

You can't save if you're not logged in.

Attempting to log in on some browsers throws an error.

12 hours ago, AceWing said:

Its official, Acewing doesnt know anyone that uses the app, shut it down, app is dead. Sorry FFG you tried....

It is not a very hard step to take to understand that the second file is for Jul 10th onwards, I suggest that you download it then to help not confuse you mate.

I use the official web-based builder as it is well "official." I'd change a lot about it but prefer to stick with official if official gets the job done.

14 minutes ago, faceyfood said:

I use the official app. One good reason is that now all of the 3rd party builders have updated to the new points that don't take affect until July 14th.

Excellent point. 🍺 

As to points documents, why not both the list for each faction and a master list with the entire thing? These things are just reports from a database aren't they? Is it that much extra work to create one more report and add it to the available downloads?

And to throw a lot of work at the programmers maybe they could make it such that you make your own point lists? You need at minimum your faction and the all faction points. If we make our own desired lists they just have to keep the database up to date and not also the lists available for download.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, faceyfood said:

I use the official app. One good reason is that now all of the 3rd party builders have updated to the new points that don't take affect until July 14th.

There is a legacy version of YASB, with the current points.

https://raithos.github.io/old/

*e* cc: @Frimmel

Edited by theBitterFig

26 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

By the way, I have just had a quick look at it and it doesn't look like you have added the new slots for ships eg. Jumpmaster gunner slot.

Oh and thanks for the spreadsheet! Super helpfull!