Sign in to follow this  
ficklegreendice

Grappling/Landing Struts

13 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

You and I can have Droid battles where we bring nothing but Asteroids landing platforms. ;)

You can fit 4 Droids on one landing platform, because a limit is for a player. Just think about it, it would be superfun!

15 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

honestly, looking at it the one BIGGEST hurdle with the Hyena is that there is precisely ONE good missile (diamond boron, probably) to get all passive sensory with our Baktoids 

There is also Concussion Missiles, which I often overlook.  Both are 6 pts and both are 3 red dice at R2-3.  I guess the difference is the possibility of doing damage to everyone at R1 or the chance of hurting those already damaged at R1 of target.   

I agree that I am frustrated with not getting a ship with Sensors and a Torp slot.  I was going to take the cheapest and give them Struts to just sit in the back and lob Proton death all game.  The question now is....do I do it with Missiles or have someone without Sensor try it?

14 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Kraken sets up a hard alpha, new dude is for **** spamming Vultures

depends on your list, but generally the better quality of attack (re: ordnance) the better Kraken will be. The more little gnat farts running around, the better the other guy will be. 

Kraken is good for the initial set up, but what are you giving up to take him?  You have to take a ship that doesn't have ordnance to carry him around.  That ship, plus the 10 pts for Kraken, means that you are sinking a lot of points into something that could be a cheap Vulture with ESC.  I've found I prefer the Vultures.  Of course, what I see is either the Vultures overwhelm the target early or it becomes a bitter fight where it becomes 50-50% that I win.  

I am not sold on even having a Tactical at all.  With 32C being as expensive as he is, I am not sure if he's worth it.  His Co-ordinate only works for those in R1, right?  That's 52 pts for 32C and Kraken, which I would rather take two Separatist Droids with ESC for that.  

9 hours ago, RStan said:

If 6+ CIS ship list, use TA175, if 5 or less, use Kraken. 

I might make it 4 or less for Kraken, but yeah, that's not bad.  

===

One thing I will say about Grapplers is that I don't think they are for every ship.  I mean, they dropped to 1 pt, but that's still a point.  I've used them and it can be really hard to think about obstacles as something other than something to avoid.  I have taken a few with Grapplers and set up a couple of guys strategically, but I don't think all of your ships really need them.   I have found that 2 works for me, but I could see getting a third on the edge of my Vulture formation that might go set up on a rock after the initial pass.  This way, I could have some on the rock on my side and a rock on a board edge to lob ESC at people. 

I'm having a hard time getting a Hyena into a list that I like.  It's kind of frustrating.

Just playing around, I did come up with this pretty fast:

Roger, Roger

Separatist Drone (21)
Energy-Shell Charges (5)
Grappling Struts (1)

Separatist Drone (21)
Energy-Shell Charges (5)
Grappling Struts (1)

Separatist Drone (21)
Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Separatist Drone (21)
Energy-Shell Charges (5)

Separatist Drone (21)
Energy-Shell Charges (5)

DFS-311 (23)
Grappling Struts (1)

Baktoid Prototype (28)
Passive Sensors (3)
Concussion Missiles (6)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Landing Struts (1)
Total: 200

I want to try the Baktoid with Passive Sensors.  I also wanted to give him something other than Diamond or Concussion, because when playing a swarm, you don't always want to blast friendly ships near the target.  I also figured if anyone goes for the asteroid that will hold Butterbot and Baktoid, then he can get some hits in.  I was tempted to go with Homing Missiles on Baktoid.  There is often some ace that is either arc dodging or just plain hard to hit.  The Homing can always do at least 1 damage.  I can Reload it to continue.  It's a shame you can't get Barrage Rockets off on a regular basis (yes, the special ability, but requires another TL).  

I had 2 points left over and went with Adding Grapplers on two of the guys.  I thought about Precision Hunter for a first round alpha helper, but worry that he will be the main target in the first volley and will go down.  I can try using more Grapplers this way.  

Put Butterbot and Baktoid on the largest rock just past R3 from my board edge and the other guys joust.  If one with Grapplers lives long enough, he jumps to another rock on the other side of the board to give good cover fire.  

Mods are love, mods are life

I think flying vultures without the new relay is simply an objective mistake

NOTE this does NOT mean I'm advocating for 32-c. 32-c is for FUN, because engagement phase coordinate shenanigans are too hilarious to pass up. (Also coordinate is more effective on single ships with bigger attacks, aka NOT vultures)

Most likely, your boring ol' efficient competitive list will use autopilot/seer as a carrier

Boring Ol' Swarm

(39) Captain Sear [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(5) TA-175

(19) Trade Federation Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]
(4) Discord Missiles

(4) Discord Missiles

(4) Discord Missiles

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

Total points: 199

Etc

12 hours ago, Icelom said:

Seems like the DBS-32C is overpriced to me... I just cant see taking him over a bellmouseaboo. Unless the coordinate ability is way better then i think it will be of course.

Paired up with a Probe Droid launching Hyena, I could see his Jam ability being surprisingly good too.

Part of me thinks a bunch of Buzz Droids and Probe Droids being spat out of a Hyena Mob could be quite fun.

Posted (edited)

There are some interesting options for the struts, including on Hyenas. The Hyena itself just seems like a fatter ESC delivery method.

Trade Federation Drone    19
Grappling Struts    1
Energy Shell Charges    5

Grappling Struts    1

Grappling Struts    1

Grappling Struts    1

Grappling Struts    1

Grappling Struts    1

Captain Sear    39
TA-175    5
Soulless One    6

200/200

Techno Union Bomber    26
Landing Struts    1

Landing Struts    1

Landing Struts    1

Landing Struts    1

Discord Missiles    4
Grappling Struts    1

Discord Missiles    4
Grappling Struts    1

Discord Missiles    4
Grappling Struts    1

200/200

Edited by Polda

36 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Paired up with a Probe Droid launching Hyena, I could see his Jam ability being surprisingly good too.

Part of me thinks a bunch of Buzz Droids and Probe Droids being spat out of a Hyena Mob could be quite fun.

I wish the discord missiles (buzz droids) had dropped even further in price but i will have to give them a good try and there new price, my issue with them is i was paying alot of points for 1 damage (most of the time that is all i got from them) when i could just run energy shells and do alot more over the course of a game. is a 3pt drop (1 from the ship 2 from the buzzies) enough to make them feel like they are worth it? they certainly are fun so i will give them a real good shot again but i have a feeling i will still feel disappointed.

The promise of buzzdroids is twofold

1) guaranteed damage; no rolls required!

2) they fart out before your i1 vultures get trivially initiative killed by literally anything!

Course, gonna require testing. Biggest thing is how the positioning works (still not 100% on that) and if you can glomp several onto one target 

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

2) they fart out before your i1 vultures get trivially initiative killed by literally anything!

Course, gonna require testing. Biggest thing is how the positioning works (still not 100% on that) and if you can glomp several onto one target 

3) They make going through certain areas a harder choice (toss them on or between obstacles depending on how your opponent's list makes use of them).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

3) They make going through certain areas a harder choice (toss them on or between obstacles depending on how your opponent's list makes use of them).

4) 32C coordinate at start of engagement can barrel roll them where they need to be to hit their target. 

Edited by RStan

I think 32-C is pretty clearly overpriced.  It’s the same cost as Wat, while having a worse dial, less attack dice, and a worse health distribution (5 Hull vs 3/2).  The actions are more or less a wash, and while I can see the benefit of a clutch Jam, it being red brings that dial into stark contrast.  All that being said, it was never gonna be cheap enough to pack in 33-C and another ship, so my planned list is still:

3 trade federation drones with ESC

3 separatist drones with ESC

32-C with TA-175 and landing struts.

Maybe toss grappling struts on 2 more droids, a 2 point bid isn’t doing anything with this list.  I do wish he was about 5 points cheaper, to be able to fit struts on everything, or try Kraken.  That being said, having a vulture die before shooting is almost guaranteed, and 175 is insurance.  I may also play around with 32-C, 311, and 5 generic vultures of some variety.  Taking 311 also gives the opponent at least a choice to make regarding target priority.

Used a Super3 list today (Wat Tambor and 5 Sep Drones) and the Grappling Hooks made some difference. Usually, I'd had to position my ships in a way they wouldn't hit the terrain in the next 2-3 turns... now I don't have to care about it. Well, except Gas Clouds, but they're fine.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FatherTurin said:

I think 32-C is pretty clearly overpriced.  It’s the same cost as Wat, while having a worse dial, less attack dice, and a worse health distribution (5 Hull vs 3/2).  The actions are more or less a wash, and while I can see the benefit of a clutch Jam, it being red brings that dial into stark contrast.  All that being said, it was never gonna be cheap enough to pack in 33-C and another ship, so my planned list is still:

All that and not a pip about the reason to play 32-c? (ie, the engagement phase coordinate)

granted, I doubt 32-c will be worth the cost in the end, but the ability is still THE reason to take it

well, that and it can strut its stuff on asteroids and debris without concern. makes it easier to position since you're less worried about doing anything with a piddly 2-die primary than you would be with WAT!?!?!?

I'm settling (sort of) on lists for Thursday. Issue is I've bought three Hyenas (****** Lion King) so these lists aren't entirely made for the sake of being competitive.

The basis is Kraken 32-c (on the basis that that's what I want to play), the hilarious 404, an i1 hyena, and some strifeful servants 

The most "competitive" is probably the one that has Grevous to fall back on

Scavenging Pack (Grevious)

(42) DBS-32C [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(10) Kraken
(1) Landing Struts

(30) DBS-404 [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(28) Baktoid Prototype [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(6) Diamond-Boron Missiles
(1) Landing Struts
(3) Passive Sensors

(23) DFS-311 [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]

(44) General Grievous [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(6) Soulless One
(1) Crack Shot

Total points: 200

Other versions just swap out Grievous for Vultures, generally ESC or discords

if I were trying to be more serious, I don't think I'd bring more than two Hyenas. 404 and the Boron Baktoid are my kneejerk picks for viability, assisted by vultures and a BeebleBabble with 175. Dfs-311 would fill in for 32c when it comes to giving mods to the big boys 

Edited by ficklegreendice

All that and not a pip about the reason to play 32-c? (ie, the engagement phase coordinate)

granted, I doubt 32-c will be worth the cost in the end, but the ability is still THE reason to take it

well, that and it can strut its stuff on asteroids and debris without concern. makes it easier to position since you're less worried about doing anything with a piddly 2-die primary than you would be with WAT!?!?!?

I'm settling (sort of) on lists for Thursday. Issue is I've bought three Hyenas (****** Lion King) so these lists aren't entirely made for the sake of being competitive.

The basis is Kraken 32-c (on the basis that that's what I want to play), the hilarious 404, an i1 hyena, and some strifeful servants 

The most "competitive" is probably the one that has Grevous to fall back on

Scavenging Pack (Grevious)

(10) Kraken
(1) Landing Struts

(30) DBS-404 [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(1) Landing Struts
(3) Passive Sensors

(44) General Grievous [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(6) Soulless One
(1) Crack Shot

Other versions just swap out Grievous for Vultures, generally ESC or discords

if I were trying to be more serious, I don't think I'd bring more than two Hyenas. 404 and the Boron Baktoid are my kneejerk picks for viability, assisted by vultures and a BeebleBabble with 175. Dfs-311 would fill in for 32c when it comes to giving mods to the big boys 

I actually like the idea of 404 naked, maybe as a probe droid carrier so he can do that job then just yolo face first into someone and unload a 4 die primary.  He’s gonna die, sure, but he’s a 30 point battering ram, use him like one.

11 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

I actually like the idea of 404 naked, maybe as a probe droid carrier so he can do that job then just yolo face first into someone and unload a 4 die primary.  He’s gonna die, sure, but he’s a 30 point battering ram, use him like one.

Make sure to launch both from 404. The combined range bubble they offer for locks when you have them spread is sweet.

Issue is I've bought three Hyenas (****** Lion King) so these lists aren't entirely made for the sake of being competitive.

Now, the question is: who does the better Scar - Dooku, Maul or Grievous?

On 6/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

With the new Tactical Relay costing 5 points I doubt Kraken will see any play.

Wat being able to calculate and bank it on himself is a super good effect to consider if you're building Wat + droids.

Posted (edited)

Something sorta new for me

Bombad Drones

(1) Landing Struts
(5) TA-175

(29) Separatist Bomber [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(1) Landing Struts
(4) Discord Missiles
(9) Plasma Torpedoes

(1) Landing Struts
(3) Passive Sensors

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

Never made a list with a hyena that wasn't unique (or "unique')

Problem is it's hard to compare to the hilarity of 404, but maybe thisll do it

32-c and 311 give your other hyenas full mods. Can run 175 instead of kraken

Could go down to techno and take struts off c to get another set of discord missiles 

Edited by ficklegreendice

On 6/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, ficklegreendice said:

Never made a list with a hyena that wasn't unique (or "unique')

Problem is it's hard to compare to the hilarity of 404, but maybe thisll do it

I love everything about 404's design, art, text, cost...all of it.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:20 AM, Caduceus01 said:

To me at least CIS just became the Grievous mini swarm faction. I will be trying a fully tooled out Grievous with as many ESC trade feds with struts as I can fit

If Grievous was Int 5 I would play him every day of the week, at 4 he is in a bad spot.

But that's my playstyle I guess