Sign in to follow this  
ficklegreendice

Grappling/Landing Struts

Hey guys,

So Hyenas didn't come AT ALL close to what I imagined they would be and now I gotta start looking towards the future.

These struts are 1 point each...they're probably going to define how Hyenas (and possibly even Vultures) play. Just thinking about 404 for a second to see the potential synergy, to say nothing of how struts could work with bombs and fuses.

so, let's get some ideas going. How're we going to abuse these unique mechanics for the glory of the CiS?

The hardest part of abusing struts is that everyone in my area is now bringing gas clouds. I was expecting struts to drop to 2 points, now that they are at 1 I'm going to recalculate how I want to use them. With DBS-32C able to carry Kraken I'm going to create an entire list of Vultures and Hyenas (no meat bags allowed).

2 minutes ago, dunhop said:

The hardest part of abusing struts is that everyone in my area is now bringing gas clouds. I was expecting struts to drop to 2 points, now that they are at 1 I'm going to recalculate how I want to use them. With DBS-32C able to carry Kraken I'm going to create an entire list of Vultures and Hyenas (no meat bags allowed).

It’s to bad 32-C is horrendously overpriced. He is about 10 points more than I expected 

1 minute ago, Caduceus01 said:

It’s to bad 32-C is horrendously overpriced. He is about 10 points more than I expected 

This is exactly where I was expecting it to be. Hyenas should be similar in price to Tie Bombers, and we have already seen how horrible they can be when under-costed. We have 6 months to play with them before we start labeling them as horrendously overpriced.  

17 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Not at all close as in, too expensive or cheaper than expected?

didn't expect system to be limited to baktoid/bomb/32-c

didn't expect baktoid to not have torps

didn't expect the HUGE price on 32-c

lotta things!

10 minutes ago, dunhop said:

well, we can help mitigate gas clouds with REAL BIG ROCKS!

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dunhop said:

This is exactly where I was expecting it to be. Hyenas should be similar in price to Tie Bombers, and we have already seen how horrible they can be when under-costed. We have 6 months to play with them before we start labeling them as horrendously overpriced.  

TIE bombers get an extra hull and an actual focus action plus Jonas for rerolls. Can you tell me with a straight face that 32-C should only be 1 less point than Jonas?

The others seem weird but okay. 32-c is the one I have an issue with.

Edited by Caduceus01

6 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

Can you tell me with a straight face that 32-C should only be 1 less point than Jonas?

I can tell you with a straight face that 32-C is 1 point less than Jonus. What his point cost should be isn't up to me. I will not judge its price until I have had the opportunity to put it on the table and see how it's synergies work with it's squad mates. I'm looking forward to trying it out with HUGE ROCKS all over the map. I'll probably park it on a rock right next to butterbot and let it do it's thing. Never underestimate the cost of a well placed coordinate.

Posted (edited)

honestly, looking at it the one BIGGEST hurdle with the Hyena is that there is precisely ONE good missile (diamond boron, probably) to get all passive sensory with our Baktoids 

ECS don't count, we got vultures for that

though I'm planning on strutting (heh) around with Adv torp + ECS Technos. We'll see if that's worth a **** at 38, the same as a barrage scimitar pilot 

another thing I want to try is Buzz Droids, which got buffed to 4 points. Problem is buying the **** things...stupid Vulture expacs 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

another thing I want to try is Buzz Droids, which got buffed to 4 points. Problem is buying the **** things...stupid Vulture expacs 

They’re so fun. Not as reliable as ESC, would be the main reason I think they’re worth less, but if you wait til you can launch it directly onto an enemy, they can lay some hurt.

I personally wanted a bit of paint job diversity anyways, so it didn’t bother me so much. Plus I was lucky enough to get the Adepticon shiny. If I had extras I’d offer to send them your way 😔

Anyone thought much about Probing Hyenas? Way cheaper than a Schimitar, might make it more viable to get locks out there before engagement, and help the Baktoids out a bit. Even if they just have ESCs, it would allow their Calculates to be spent defensively.

Dammit I want at least 3 Hyenas, but I also want to try out Resistance with its new options, as well as the N1...

Edited by SpiderMana

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

They’re so fun. Not as reliable as ESC, would be the main reason I think they’re worth less, but if you wait til you can launch it directly onto an enemy, they can lay some hurt.

I personally wanted a bit of paint job diversity anyways, so it didn’t bother me so much. Plus I was lucky enough to get the Adepticon shiny. If I had extras I’d offer to send them your way 😔

see, that's the fun thing

roll up to your opponent like you own the place with two Baktoids packing ESCs and droids. Add a kraken and whamo! instant fun!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

With the new Tactical Relay costing 5 points I doubt Kraken will see any play.

depends

Kraken sets up a hard alpha, new dude is for **** spamming Vultures

depends on your list, but generally the better quality of attack (re: ordnance) the better Kraken will be. The more little gnat farts running around, the better the other guy will be. 

but, thinking about it, **** spamming Vultures is probably BEST for Discord missiles...

DBS-32C (42)    
    TA-175 (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Ship total: 48  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

DBS-404 (30)    
    Energy-Shell Charges (5)    
    Landing Struts (1)    

Ship total: 36  Half Points: 18  Threshold: 3    

Trade Federation Drone (19)    
    Discord Missiles (4)    

Ship total: 23  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Discord Missiles (4)    

Discord Missiles (4)    

Total: 153    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Separatist Alliance&d=v7!s=200!328:,239,,237:;326:,209,,,237:;279:224,,:;279:224,,:;279:224,,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

add like two ESC Vultures or something

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)

My first idea build for the Hyenas was:

Techni Union Bomber (26)
- Discord Missiles (4)
- Plasma Torpedoes (9)
- Proton Bombs (5)
- Landing Struts (1)
Total = 43

Which sounds cool on paper but might be too much of a "jack-of-all-trades" build. Fire Discord Missiles, drop a bomb as it passes by the enemy fleet to get to a rock, land on the rock and target lock, turn around and shenanigans? Could just upgrade to a Separatist Bomber for the Pilot Skill bonus.

I'm thinking of running 2 of them alongside 4 Separatist Drones with Energy Shell Charges and Grappling Struts, and that leaves 10 points for... something else? Problem is that it doesn't leave me with a Tactical Relay carrier and a swarm of Separatist droids without Grievous probably really wants a tactical relay upgrade.

Edited by Derpzilla88

5 hours ago, dunhop said:

My probelm with DBS-32C is that he costs the same or more points the 4x of the bellybuttons and is the networked calculate on him worth 6pts compared to just putting your tactical relay on an Feethan Ottraw Autopilot? you give up a primary dice your hitpoints are all hull, your action bar is worse (well jam i guess?)

Seems like the DBS-32C is overpriced to me... I just cant see taking him over a bellmouseaboo. Unless the coordinate ability is way better then i think it will be of course.

4 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

My first idea build for the Hyenas was:

Techni Union Bomber (26)
- Discord Missiles (4)
- Plasma Torpedoes (9)
- Proton Bombs (5)
- Landing Struts (1)
Total = 43

Which sounds cool on paper but might be too much of a "jack-of-all-trades" build. Fire Discord Missiles, drop a bomb as it passes by the enemy fleet to get to a rock, land on the rock and target lock, turn around and shenanigans? Could just upgrade to a Separatist Bomber for the Pilot Skill bonus.

I'm thinking of running 2 of them alongside 4 Separatist Drones with Energy Shell Charges and Grappling Struts, and that leaves 10 points for... something else? Problem is that it doesn't leave me with a Tactical Relay carrier and a swarm of Separatist droids without Grievous probably really wants a tactical relay upgrade.

I think thats way to much, i think you want to single focus and run them as light as possible. 

I think this may be fun. 

New Squadron

(44) General Grievous [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(6) Soulless One
(4) Impervium Plating
(6) Outmaneuver

(42) DBS-32C [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) TA-175
(1) Landing Struts

(19) Trade Federation Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]
(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(1) Grappling Struts

Total points: 200

1 minute ago, dsul413 said:

I think this may be fun. 

New Squadron

(44) General Grievous [Belbullab-22 Starfighter]
(6) Soulless One
(4) Impervium Plating
(6) Outmaneuver

(42) DBS-32C [Hyena-class Droid Bomber]
(5) TA-175
(1) Landing Struts

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(5) Energy-Shell Charges

(1) Grappling Struts

Total points: 200

Why put TA-175 on the DBS-32C instead of just putting it on Grevious and putting in another 2x comboat capable vulture droids or a damage dyealing hyena?

4 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Why put TA-175 on the DBS-32C instead of just putting it on Grevious and putting in another 2x comboat capable vulture droids or a damage dyealing hyena?

I like using (and this is built for) Grievous to get on the flank and force target prioritization. Range 0-3 is a big range tether but its still a range tether. I don't think this list is particularly competitive, just fun to fly. I think new Grievous will show up quite a bit with the points changes. It could be a second Bellyrub too in this list, given DBS-32C's high cost, and that could offset the damage potential.

gonna have to get table time to see if 32-c's ability is or isn't worth more than just running an autopilot

the sheer potential of engagement phase coordinate is pretty huge, as is the ability to abuse Struts to effectively ignore asteroids/debris (lets you run around like silly)

will have to see how best to abuse each, though my suspicion is the more dice a ship can throw (Adv protorps eh?!?!?) the more useful 32-c will be

also, ridiculous discord missile synergy by rolling your vulture juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right (plus linked calculate as needed)

Still tinkering with the specifics, but I’m really liking the idea of a Bombardment Drone packing Prox Mines & Conner Net... Just gonna launch this right on top of’ya...