Force Majeure

New Points Update #2

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, feltipern1 said:

never understood quite how that would translate into physical effects on a ship, though. 

49 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Power allocation. Weapon system power is shunted into the engines disabling the weapons.

Because that's how it worked on the Missile boat in Star Wars: TIE fighter. You hit slam, your laser cannon looses all its charge, and you go stupid fast. And as the Missile boat was a missile boat and carried 40 concussion missiles in addition to what ever ordnance you decide to equip, not having a laser cannon was A-OK!

I'd prefer glitterstim be as unchanged as possible, but I can see making it turn blanks to focuses. Maybe apply strain, because we have a new token why not use it.

Edited by Seraphimtoaster375

30 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

Heroic AO has a high probability for 2 hits every time, from 81 to 86% basically. It also increases the probability of you keeping your focus after the fact, by about 10%. It is really good when you look at it that way. It also increases crit probability slightly, and helps when you have no focus, increasing the odds of 1 hit by 10%, and 2 hits by 5%.

All agreed, but most of the effect you describe is AO not Heroic. From AO to AO Heroic is a gain of 0.04 hits, nothing you says changes that. 

There's no meaningful increase in focus retention (due to Heroic alone). A non-heroic AO double blank is almost always wrong to spend the focus on 1 blank if there is any chance you would be taking shots, and double hits on the heroic reroll is only 25%, so heroic is actually causing increased focus use when it is generating value, not less, in a similar way that PShot eats a force for its useful scenarios.

Like I said, Predictive Shot is similar, converts rare "0 expected hits" scenarios to "1 expected hits" with possible opportunity costs.

While I'm loathe to get in a premature tisy unless it's incredibly obvious (like ye ol torpscouts)...I'm bored

Note, not doomsaying here, just throwing in some unsubstantiated predictions while I wait for irl stuff to resolve

...the republic probably became top dog (apart from FO and CiD being wildcards since they've basically become new factions overnight)

No, it's not terribly a result of point changes (other than beef not as menacingly stupid) apart from maybe CLT. Mainly, the n1 just looks really incredible.

Even with the minor Arc drop, I can't see myself taking 50-53 points of Wolfe over Ole!/Anakin with juke and r2 (53 & 52 respectfully). While they're not Aethersprite level of super ace, the n1 is still a solidly manueverable platform (especially Anakin) with VERY decent defenses. These guys seem particularly powerful for not a whole lot of investment.

Plus there's the first glance combo of Padme + Lumy, potentially made better by the inclusion of a reasonably costed CLT.

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

While I'm loathe to get in a premature tisy unless it's incredibly obvious (like ye ol torpscouts)...I'm bored

Note, not doomsaying here, just throwing in some unsubstantiated predictions while I wait for irl stuff to resolve

...the republic probably became top dog (apart from FO and CiD being wildcards since they've basically become new factions overnight)

No, it's not terribly a result of point changes (other than beef not as menacingly stupid) apart from maybe CLT. Mainly, the n1 just looks really incredible.

Even with the minor Arc drop, I can't see myself taking 50-53 points of Wolfe over Ole!/Anakin with juke and r2 (53 & 52 respectfully). While they're not Aethersprite level of super ace, the n1 is still a solidly manueverable platform (especially Anakin) with VERY decent defenses. These guys seem particularly powerful for not a whole lot of investment.

Plus there's the first glance combo of Padme + Lumy, potentially made better by the inclusion of a reasonably costed CLT.

This rings true for me. Plo Koon is fully 10 points cheaper than I expected, and Obi-Wan 7. Barriss Offee seems genuinely usable at just 1 point over the I3 Jedi Knight.

First Order now has a whole bunch of 4-5 ship builds that just became viable, and far more 3-ship builds than before. Separatists just got... weirder. Less Hate infiltrator (good) but a lot more options for Vultures and Bellbullabs (also good). And the Resistance now has a bunch of 3-4 ship builds that seem really, really interesting. Absolute wild card there.

Meanwhile, Rebels seem likely to embrace the 3-ship archetype soon or else go full swarm. 4 packed aces just don't fit anymore, but 3 can be really good and 2+support even better. Empire seems largely untouched with only the most ubiquitous pilots getting a small bump and the very most underperforming generics getting little cuts.

Scum is just sad. A few things got little breaks, but not enough of them and never by enough. Biggest winner is probably the Jumpmaster. 4x Torpedo Scouts actually works again, which is bizarre to try working out. Dengar with Agile Gunner, CC, R3, and/or Proton Torpedoes could become good but requires very careful planning and might not make his points back.

5 minutes ago, prauxim said:

With CLT you already want to focus anyway unless your going to be R1

I don't necessarily agree with that.  Focus is solid damage if you're trying to conserve Force charges, but Predictive Shot is guaranteed spending force charges.  It always stinks to have to spend charges of something before you know if you'll need them.  Meanwhile, Lock lets you spend the force charge after you know whether or not you'll need it.  You can just reroll the CLT eye result.  It's not damage-optimal in any situation other than 2 more blanks or focuses, but it also can save force charges for later, or maybe you spent your last force charge getting bullseye (in which case, Predictive Shot couldn't be used anyhow).