Leia Hourglass

Not an idea fishing thread! Hyperspace suit?

What could I call a special spacesuit that can be used to go onto a ships hull to do repair WHILE still in hyperspace? Hypersuit seems like an obvious choice but I googled it and it’s the name of a real world AR suit. Hyperspace suit and Hyperspace survival suit don’t sound good. 

Also so has this ever been depicted in Star Wars before. A suit that lets you go out into hyperspace?

Also could it work based on existing Star Wars rules. 

I'd call it a . . . "space" suit.

As long as you don't let go, you should be fine . . .

Ask your GM.  But my group wouldn't do that.  But there's plenty of other PMCS that can happen in this game in Hyperspace that don't involve the Powerplant, Engines, & Hyperdrive.

If you can survive in space, you can survive in hyperspace.  The problem is you would have no way to navigate hyperspace.

If you stay connected to your ship, you should be fine.  However if you become disconnected, then you are screwed.  Without a hyperdrive, you'd be stuck in hyperspace, and it would be unlikely that anyone could save you.

You're biggest problem is mental stability.  Staring into the hyperspace 'tunnel' for too long can cause hyperspace madness (hyper-rapture).  Most ships have a way to make the transparisteel opaque in order to block the effect.  So, soon after ships enter hyperspace, the 'glass' goes dark so you can't see outside, then it reverts just before jumping out of hyperspace.

4 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Without a hyperdrive, you'd be stuck in hyperspace, and it would be unlikely that anyone could save you.

Actually I think in current Canon you're dumped back into realspace. But I also recall them saying that executing such a maneuver in a spaceship is dangerous as heck, so doing it in a suit is probably... very bad. Like crossing the streams bad...

22 hours ago, Leia Hourglass said:

What could I call a special spacesuit that can be used to go onto a ships hull to do repair WHILE still in hyperspace? Hypersuit seems like an obvious choice but I googled it and it’s the name of a real world AR suit. Hyperspace suit and Hyperspace survival suit don’t sound good. 

Also so has this ever been depicted in Star Wars before. A suit that lets you go out into hyperspace?

Also could it work based on existing Star Wars rules. 

It's old WEG stuff, but in the Isis Coordinates they do mention there's a special shield that keep ships nice and safe in Hyperspace. I don't remember what it's called, but if you check the D6 Holocron you can probably find it.

Worst case, I'd do it like other Sci-fi and name it after someone. You know, like Gellar Fields, or Cherekov Drives.

Posted (edited)

No stats but that awful Solo/Calrissian book has a hyperspace suit but it’s extreme extra galactic tech. 

Edited by Eoen

4 minutes ago, Eoen said:

No stats but that awful Solo/Calrissian book has a hyperspace suit but it’s extreme extra galactic tech. 

Would that be the one with Magic Harp that was referenced in Solo, or the one with the Ewok slicer that could one-shot star destroyers with pure 1337 despite having not even known what a computer was a couple years before?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Would that be the one with Magic Harp that was referenced in Solo, or the one with the Ewok slicer that could one-shot star destroyers with pure 1337 despite having not even known what a computer was a couple years before?

Yes as it will soon be revealed all Ewoks are natural savant slicers, their just being held back in their development by the man. Actually it’s that gaint in the castle beyond the plains from the second Star Wars series Ewok return to Endor, or whatever it’s called.

Edited by Eoen

23 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Actually I think in current Canon you're dumped back into realspace. But I also recall them saying that executing such a maneuver in a spaceship is dangerous as heck, so doing it in a suit is probably... very bad. Like crossing the streams bad...

You are correct!  Hyperspace engine being needed to exit hyperspace must have been legends material.  Did some research and if hyperdrive fails while in hyperspace, the vehicle is violently thrown back into real space.  This sounds bad in a ship.  It sounds really bad to a person in a space suit.  Supposing you even survive, you have no control of where you are hurled into real space.  So, assuming you weren't instantly killed, or dropped into a sun or a planet, chances are you'd be drifting in space with limited oxygen and almost no hope of someone finding you.

4 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Hyperspace engine being needed to exit hyperspace must have been legends material.

Yep, though as with the real LFL/Disney writers, Legends is great for mining material to reintroduce.

In the Han Solo Novels Han floats a dude while the Falcon is in hyperspace (Han was waaay darker back when Greedo shot first). The novel basically explains that a starship has a special shield system that keeps it safe in hyperspace, and without it you'd be torn apart at the molecular level (or something like that.) WEG's Isis Coordinates parrots this, with a ship in hyperspace having some doors open that are also shielded by those special shields. Unlike the Falcon's airlock, this time the shields hold atmo in as well as hyperspace out, but the second the shield drop (ie when the ship drops out of hyperspace and no longer needs them) the ship vents like anything else.

Since that's the sort of technical details LFL/Disney doesn't give a rats thermal exhaust port about, you could probably port that concept over into a game and be pretty safe, making a suit that can allow you to survive in hyperspace a pretty impressive piece of tech once you figure out the exact utility of it...