Jump to content
eljms

Using Hux

Recommended Posts

I've been interested in trying to use Hux's ability.  For reference:

While you perform a white coordinate action, you may treat it as red. If you do, you may coordinate up to 2 additional ships of the same ship type, and each ship you coordinate must perform the same action, treating that action as red

There's a lot of stress to manage, and a requirement to have at least three ships of the same type.  I went for TIE/FOs, with Muse to help remove stress and Omega Squadron Aces to get Crack Shot.  It's slightly awkward having to move the Upsilon first, but when it's not coordinating a hard stop is a great option with Muse to potentially remove the stress.  When coordinating, having the TIEs move second allows them to clear stress before taking their second action.

TIE/fo Fighter - •“Muse” - 33
    •“Muse” - Epsilon Leader (32)
        Crack Shot (1)

TIE/fo Fighter - Omega Squadron Ace - 32
    Omega Squadron Ace - (31)
        Crack Shot (1)

TIE/fo Fighter - Omega Squadron Ace - 32
    Omega Squadron Ace - (31)
        Crack Shot (1)

TIE/fo Fighter - Omega Squadron Ace - 32
    Omega Squadron Ace - (31)
        Crack Shot (1)

Upsilon-class Shuttle - Starkiller Base Pilot - 71
    Starkiller Base Pilot - (56)
        •General Hux (10)
        Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been interested in using Hux as well, but seem to constantly struggle with it.  

I sit between maximizing the ability and getting any actual damage output from it.  

I like your attempt here, would be interested in hearing how it goes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ImperialOfficer said:

I like your attempt here, would be interested in hearing how it goes.

I've flown the above iteration once and something similar but with three higher initiative pilots once.

I got to use Hux just twice - the initial engagement and the round after.  The challenge is managing the stress.  I kept Muse back with the Upsilon and sent the three Omega Squadron Aces ahead of them.  Three green dice with focus and evade gives good survivability.  I didn't mean to leave these three out on their own though and got a bit luck with green dice, avoiding any damage first round of combat.  Next round I brought the Upsilon into the fight and from then on pretty much parked it, keeping Muse close by to clear stress each round.  I did like the combination of pattern analyzer on the Upsilon and Muse to clear the stress.

Overall it felt like a 'fun list' rather than a 'competitive list'.

The other version I tried I only had three TIEs but they were higher initiative and had juke.  The idea was to get evade/focus on the TIEs, shoot first, juke and still have evade for defense.  It's fine, but only for the initial engagement.  After that it's very tough to use Hux.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use Tavson in place of the SBP you'll likely get more uses out of Hux. Granted, you'll have to downgrade from an Omga to an Epsilon (and lose the Talent slot) but you can get your FOs in position, take a Focus and when Tavson loses a shield, you can Hux/Coordinate a Lock for them to use and have a double modded attack.

Again, this list isn't going to set the world on fire, but could be a fun casual game to learn how the different pieces work together--and hopefully with the points balance or new upgrades, it can be more than that in here or in a similar list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

If you use Tavson in place of the SBP you'll likely get more uses out of Hux

Yeah, possibly.  The drawback is the stress this would be dishing out.  With SBP you can clear the stress of the TIEs immediately by coordinating then doing a blue maneuver.  With Tavson they'd move first then take stress from the Hux coordinate.

The biggest barrier to using Hux is stress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

You can still do it your way (the Hux coordination, then the move)

I'm not sure how that works.  Don't the Epsilon TIEs have to move before Tavson, and therefore before being coordinated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if trying to use both of hux's bonus co-ordinates might be a bit of a trap.

With the Shuttle being such an expensive game piece, giving up its action to get three bonus actions sounds good, but when everything becomes red, and frankly even a focus/locked shot from multiple TIE fighters feels like it's not worth it.

Possible ideas:

 

  • Starkiller Base Pilot
    • General Hux
    • Jamming Beam
  • Zeta Squadron Survivor x 3
    • Concussion Missiles
    • Fire Control System

The zetas match a starkiller base pilot for initiative. If co-ordinated locks you've got a trio of focus/locked concussion missile shots plus the unmodified shot from the upsilon, and the locks will hang around. I'm still not convinced that's massively better than, say, five concussion missile-armed zetas.

 

  • Starkiller Base Pilot
    • General Hux
    • Jamming Beam
    • Biohexacrypt Codes
  • "Recoil"
    • Marksmanship
    • Proton Rockets
  • "Blackout"
    • Trick Shot

Pairing Hux up with a pair of Silencer aces seems like it has potential. Hux can throw out reposition actions, then the good dial of the silencer can burn the stress off, and then add in its own action plus autothrusters.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just say don't use him. The points and hoops you need to jump through to get him to work is stupid. A minimum of 66 points before you even get to the ships you need to coordinate....

If you want to keep your UPS stress free then you need to add AS and even then all those points and an unmodified 4 die gun is only there to support three cheap ships that won't do much damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Maybe if Hux came down to 5 points he'd be worth it?

I really hope that the First Order gets some points drops in the next adjustment. They're like a blade that hasn't been honed.

I can't see that he's worth similar costs to Battle Meditation, certainly.

Yes, that's tied to initiative, but there aren't any Initiative 5 or 6 Upsilons, and besides which, Battle Meditation adds co-ordinate to the ship whilst Hux doesn't.

Comparing a Purple action to a Red action is about the same, but Hux makes the co-ordinated ships' actions red as well which Battle Meditation doesn't.

The only advantage is that he can select limited ships, but lacking a cheap co-ordinate platform, the only limited ships you can pick are TIE/fo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

I'm wondering if trying to use both of hux's bonus co-ordinates might be a bit of a trap.

With the Shuttle being such an expensive game piece, giving up its action to get three bonus actions sounds good, but when everything becomes red, and frankly even a focus/locked shot from multiple TIE fighters feels like it's not worth it.

Possible ideas:

 

  • Starkiller Base Pilot
    • General Hux
    • Jamming Beam
  • Zeta Squadron Survivor x 3
    • Concussion Missiles
    • Fire Control System

The zetas match a starkiller base pilot for initiative. If co-ordinated locks you've got a trio of focus/locked concussion missile shots plus the unmodified shot from the upsilon, and the locks will hang around. I'm still not convinced that's massively better than, say, five concussion missile-armed zetas.

 

  • Starkiller Base Pilot
    • General Hux
    • Jamming Beam
    • Biohexacrypt Codes
  • "Recoil"
    • Marksmanship
    • Proton Rockets
  • "Blackout"
    • Trick Shot

Pairing Hux up with a pair of Silencer aces seems like it has potential. Hux can throw out reposition actions, then the good dial of the silencer can burn the stress off, and then add in its own action plus autothrusters.

 

 

I've had a look, you can fit Tavson with Hux, and three Omega Squadron Experts with Concussion Missiles with the updated points.. You still have four points floating, so you've got some options open.

My personal approach would be to take Cluster Missiles and Munitions Failsafe. I'm going to give it a play next week, and will see what shakes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

I've had a look, you can fit Tavson with Hux, and three Omega Squadron Experts with Concussion Missiles with the updated points

I'm trying to work through in my head how I'd fly this.  I think I'd be looking to joust, going into an initial engagement with the Omega Squadron Experts all having double mods for their missiles.  That could be a fearsome opening volley.

However:

- If Tavson coordinates them using Hux, he's stressed which negates his ability (if he doesn't there's no guarantee you get to use Hux)

- I think Hux is going to be hard to use much beyond that engagement because you're going to need to clear the stress from Tavson with blue maneuvers and it's going to be hard to keep things in Tavson's arc with that constraint

- It's basically going to be a one or two round trick.  Maybe that's ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new points, this is where I'd go with General Hugs:

  • Zeta Squadron Survivor (Special Forces Gunner) 42
  • Zeta Squadron Survivor (Special Forces Gunner) 42
  • Zeta Squadron Survivor (Special Forces Gunner) 42
  • Starkiller Base Pilot (General Hugs, Advanced Sensors) 74
    • Total: 200 after the July Adjustment, 208 points before the July Adjustment.

Advanced Sensors seems sweet on Hugs, since you can use the red mega-coordinate first, then blue move and bump.  Upsilons are a lot better when they don't care about where they land.

Hugs can do this first, before the Zetas activate.  They'll be pre-focused, which means probably Evades or Locks on the first round of combat.  Decent enough.  They'll still have to pull blue moves, but it's generally nicer to end up without stress and be able to dial whatever you want next turn, than to end your turn stressed.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Advanced Sensors seems sweet on Hugs, since you can use the red mega-coordinate first, then blue move and bump.

Yes!  This has got to be the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is you're still spending over 1/3rd of your list on a coordinate. 

 

You can't fortress it. You can't turn it around. Use is limited by stress.  Receivers are limited by stress. And, here's the kicker: It's still just a coordinate.

 

Just lose Hux and take Tavson.  He'd barely be worth taking at 2 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird combination of abilities for stress-tractor-and-co-ordinate a-go-go.

Probably awful, but what do people think?

 

  • Petty Officer Thanisson
    • Advanced Sensors
    • Tractor Beam
    • General Hux
    • Captain Phasma
  • Muse
    • Squad Leader
  • Epsilon Squadron Cadet x 3

 

  1. One ship which becomes stressed in Thanisson's forward arc can be tractored - this includes friendlies, so in theory allows you to focus/lock and then boost or barrel roll (at a cost of reduced agility)
  2. Phasma stresses out people in the vicinity of Thanisson, helping reduce the manoeuvrability gap, whilst Muse can remove one ship's stress for next turn.
  3. Linked Batteries means a 4-5 dice tractor beam, enough to throw even bigger ships around, theoretically setting up three focus/locked attacks on a tractored target.
  4. Squad Leader lets you move Muse's action to where it's more useful (probably Hux).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bydand said:

Just lose Hux and take Tavson.  He'd barely be worth taking at 2 points.

If the point is only the W, then, like, well sure.  But then why take 3x Zetas?  Why not swap to Kylo and Quickdraw?  And then we're back at the bog standard First Order list.  It's fine, but it's also familiar.

But if the point is to get Domhnall Gleeson on the mat, I kinda think this might work decently.  Getting Focus/Lock attacks on 3-dice ships seems like one of the strongest outcomes from Hugs.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Weird combination of abilities for stress-tractor-and-co-ordinate a-go-go.

Probably awful, but what do people think?

 

  • Petty Officer Thanisson
    • Advanced Sensors
    • Tractor Beam
    • General Hux
    • Captain Phasma
  • Muse
    • Squad Leader
  • Epsilon Squadron Cadet x 3

 

  1. One ship which becomes stressed in Thanisson's forward arc can be tractored - this includes friendlies, so in theory allows you to focus/lock and then boost or barrel roll (at a cost of reduced agility)
  2. Phasma stresses out people in the vicinity of Thanisson, helping reduce the manoeuvrability gap, whilst Muse can remove one ship's stress for next turn.
  3. Linked Batteries means a 4-5 dice tractor beam, enough to throw even bigger ships around, theoretically setting up three focus/locked attacks on a tractored target.
  4. Squad Leader lets you move Muse's action to where it's more useful (probably Hux).

This fellow here has the right spirit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, theBitterFig said:

I think I stole the idea from @SwampyCr

Maybe. I haven't flown Hux a ton, but I like the SFs with him.

I think missiles and passive sensors make even more sense. Go Alpha or go home basically. Use Hux to give all 3 a focus, passive sensors to get a TL and rotate as needed. Still hamstrung by stress, but good use of banks, the rear arc and passive sensors can help protect the little guys. Just make sure the shuttle is a lower pilot skill (or same PS and moves first) and you are golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SwampyCr said:

Maybe. I haven't flown Hux a ton, but I like the SFs with him.

I think missiles and passive sensors make even more sense. Go Alpha or go home basically. Use Hux to give all 3 a focus, passive sensors to get a TL and rotate as needed. Still hamstrung by stress, but good use of banks, the rear arc and passive sensors can help protect the little guys. Just make sure the shuttle is a lower pilot skill (or same PS and moves first) and you are golden.

Passive Sensors, Concussion Missiles, and Munitions Failsafe on a Zeta is the same 42 points as a Zeta with Gunner.  That'd deny an opponent a range bonus.

On the other hand, you won't get a 4-dice range 1 primary from a Missile Zeta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...