eagletsi111

Selfless: Quick Rules Question?

While another friendly ship at range 0-1 defends, before the Neutralize Results step, if you are in the attack arc, you may suffer 1  damage to cancel 1  result.

So does this mean when you use selfless you are hit by the attack and thus defending?

I searched the Rules Group and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Eagletsi111

9 minutes ago, eagletsi111 said:

While another friendly ship at range 0-1 defends, before the Neutralize Results step, if you are in the attack arc, you may suffer 1  damage to cancel 1  result.

So does this mean when you use selfless you are hit by the attack and thus defending?

I searched the Rules Group and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Eagletsi111

No. You suffer damage, but you don't become the defender (and you can't either use 'when defending' abilities or get stuck with 'if the attack hits' tokens).

Because you do this before Neutralize Results, you can theoretically reduce the attack to 0 hits remaining, so in theory you can make the attack 'miss', despite taking damage from it.

19 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Selfless is a great tool if you're using it, and a pain in the neck if it's being used against you. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it sooner.

The range limit is probably why - tethering ships that closely tends to put shackles on them, especially since most ships high-value enough to merit a selfless bodyguard tend to be more mobile and higher initiative than the protector.

Also, it's a mini-Biggs ability so you might as well just use Biggs to get a more reliable effect. Exceptions being if you need something faster or cheaper like an A-Wing (but they can't soak a lot of damage) or you want to double down and have both a Selfless pilot and Biggs (but then you're dumping a lot of points into shuffling damage around). Maybe it also finds a home on pilots with certain synergy (I think it could be good on Wulfwarro to get to his +1 attack die faster at the same time as protecting allies).

20 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it sooner.

I was using it in December to great effect with Biggs. Modern beef is more aggressive and attacks with much greater accuracy than a plodding selfless list. I expect to see Selfless pop up again when the meta shakes up a bit.