Boom Owl

X-Wing State of the Union

2 hours ago, Wiredin said:

I'm just sitting here patiently waiting for the day that I can put 3 ghosts on the table. 

Glad to see a different member of the cult of triple Ghost already posted this. 

I wonder what we're gonna do tomorrow if it doesn't fit?

honestly I wasn't super happy with this meta, it felt really narrow and unbalanced after a while. I'm just never happy about anything though so I'm probably an outlier. X-Wing is super fun right now, I'm just not sure how competitively balanced it is tbh.

I brought some sort of meme-ey lists to my last few 1.0 tournaments and honestly I felt like I had a pretty good chance to beat Ghost/Fenn and Bob's Builders and all those "meta" lists of the time, I've actually felt a little more hopeless in some 2.0 games than those 1.0 games.  Maybe everything in 1.0 was cancer and my list was secretly really good and nobody ever figured it out? IDK. I do feel like I'm having significantly more fun in 2.0 than 1.0, but I don't really think the meta is that much better.

There's still a lot of problems that carried over between editions, and those problems seem amplified because only a few things have them. Braylen for example gets a double modded 3-4 dice attack every round and Leia and/or Cassian makes his dial open while doing it.  This would have seemed fine in 1.0 but now Push the Limit and all that other cancerous garbage doesn't exist so Braylen stands out as a lot better than all the things that play the game "fair" (like a generic B-Wing or something). 

I have hope that points updates will change up the meta a lot more than the old errata/nerf/FAQ system, but I'm still not sure the meta is guaranteed to be inherently more fun due to this. Balance is hard, and I'm pretty sure if I was in charge of doing the points the game would be a complete nightmare. 

Beef makes me sad but I don't actually play against it that much. It's fairly prevalent but SE UK players still do have some good variety in their versions of it.

Quad Phantoms is a more US thing maybe? Honestly haven't seen it in any of the couple dozen store tourneys I've attended in 2.0.

In fact, the guys I play with who do go to the bigger events rarely see it either.

Primarily playing Scum atm and very happy with the options. It's hard work, there are many inefficient side roads that can be worthlessly walked down with even tiny changes to a list. But I'm playing against some very good players with various things and generally feeling in the mix. It's really not that bad.... Although I rarely leave home without a Fang or 2....

Apart from against the beef. Which is a thing for almost everything that isn't beef.

I'd also like to see lower ship counts become a bit more common. I generally favour 3 and it's pretty tiring playing against 4, 5 or 6 in every game. I enjoy it, it's not any harder to actually win against, it's just more thinking than I want to do in a days play.

I like to zoom and boom but often find myself having to run and plink for the bulk of a game. Which is less fun for both of us. 

So 1 on extended for me. Because of those Rebels and ship count. Otherwise 0. 

For HS, I'll go 2. The above is even more prevalent and less options on the whole is a little boring to me. If they hadn't added the Starviper, I'd be scoring it a fair bit higher.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Glad to see a different member of the cult of triple Ghost already posted this.

Cult?

You're messing with my Sunday School lessons. ;)

Besides, you can't have 3 Ghosts anyways. . .

Maybe the YVXXX-300 Club??

Edited by Darth Meanie

10 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

These make me so sad to see because there are so many fun, interesting, and cool things in Extended that just get missed in the tiny hyperspace meta. I almost never play Hyperspace as we have a pretty small local scene that's mostly just fun and casual.

You're actually in the same place I am for Extended. I don't not play it, I just don't play it competitively at the moment. And, IMO, playing the format casually doesn't give one enough insight to rate the meta.

I have had a great time with 2.0 - I think it has been pretty fair and balanced - I love that Luke, Wedge and Vader are good.  I enjoyed fighting five A wings and tie swarms.  I am a little wary of beef but the only beef I have seen is the drea swarm

23 hours ago, Quack Shot said:

One did, but he’s also one of the few scum players who won a trial. It was also the largest trial of the season. Maybe the other Scum players should just git gud. 

I want to let this go.  I want to just bloody walk away.  But this kind of thinking, this kind of statement, this gets so far up my nose.

First.  ONE result is not statistically significant.  This gentleman in question is an outlier.  A savant.  Kudos to him, but he more proves the point than otherwise.

Second.  I've been keeping track.  In the last six months, I've played 105 games of X-Wing, all casual.  Of those 62 have been with Scum.  The remaining 43 have been in Rebel, Imperial, a few Resistance, and a very few CIS.  Within Scum, my record is 22 wins and 40 losses.  Within all other factions, my record is 25 wins and 18 losses.  All casual games against a variety of opponents representing every faction.  Obviously, I prefer Scum.  I fly Scum more often.  I am more practiced with Scum.  But I can have more success just picking up any old ****** thing from any other faction, practice be damned.  This tells me, at least, that Scum is pretty ****** right now.

Sorry, but seriously.  Right up my nose.  End rant.  And the points change can't come soon enough.  And I hope it's effective.

23 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

I want to let this go.  I want to just bloody walk away.  But this kind of thinking, this kind of statement, this gets so far up my nose.

First.  ONE result is not statistically significant.  This gentleman in question is an outlier.  A savant.  Kudos to him, but he more proves the point than otherwise.

Second.  I've been keeping track.  In the last six months, I've played 105 games of X-Wing, all casual.  Of those 62 have been with Scum.  The remaining 43 have been in Rebel, Imperial, a few Resistance, and a very few CIS.  Within Scum, my record is 22 wins and 40 losses.  Within all other factions, my record is 25 wins and 18 losses.  All casual games against a variety of opponents representing every faction.  Obviously, I prefer Scum.  I fly Scum more often.  I am more practiced with Scum.  But I can have more success just picking up any old ****** thing from any other faction, practice be damned.  This tells me, at least, that Scum is pretty ****** right now.

Sorry, but seriously.  Right up my nose.  End rant.  And the points change can't come soon enough.  And I hope it's effective.

I was half joking, that’s why I used “git gud”. But Scum does have options, 4 fangs won multiple trials, Fenn/Seevor/2 Starvipers won at least one and cut at others. Quad Vipers won one and a cut at another. Boba/Guri has made some splash recently. There’s tools, just not the super efficient double mods that they’re used too. If the other factions come down, then Scum will be in good spot. If they reduce Scum and nerf the other factions, then they’ll be OP which is exactly what happened with Rebels with the last points change.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Quack Shot said:

There’s tools, just not the super efficient double mods that they’re used too.

Just stop right there. It’s extremely insulting to imply that Scum players are ALL doing poorly because they’re used to hyper-mods, as if that were something faction specific (and it would would apply much more to Rebels if it were).

They’re largely overpriced a couple points. Rebels have a few strong outliers that are underpriced a few more. They need a buff, others need a nerf.

No one’s asking for overcorrection or for Scum to become “the” dominant faction again, but documented statistics put them in a really poor place, especially in Hyperspace.

Of course, the poor, poor First Order is quite a bit worse off. Tavson, Kylo, and Quickdraw are carrying the entire faction, and there are only a handful of other usable pilots at all (Generic Upsilon, Backdraft, Null, Scorch, maybe Muse and Longshot, maybe generic silencers and Blackout).

Edited by ClassicalMoser