Ravenhull

Dial error resolutions

Okay, I know in the rules ref that it lays out what happens if you set a red maneuver for a stressed ship, but yesterday we were trying to resolve another issue, and trying to find the 2e rules for things like:

Forgotten Dial: (what happened yesterday) A player simply forgets to set a dial for a ship. 

Mismatched Dial: Assigned dial is not the dial for that ship type. Especially when the used dial is one for a ship no longer in play. For example, using a U-wing dial for a B-wing.

For forgotten dials, I’ve seen TOs rule a 2 white straight, and agree this is best. 

Mismatched you still do the maneuvers selected, IF it is a legal move for the ship BUT at the difficulty of the ship’s own dial. Otherwise, if impossible, default to 2 white straight. 

6 minutes ago, Ravenhull said:

That’s what the TO said last night. With forgotten, others debated that it would have to be a repeat of the previously set maneuver.

Curious on the logic of that... 🤷‍♂️ I have never heard of this. 

16 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Curious on the logic of that... 🤷‍♂️ I have never heard of this. 

Maybe better stated as “do what the dial says”. If I forget to set the dial, it’s probably still on previous setting, possibly face up. So it would be reasonable to rule you just do what the dial says.

For forgotten dials, anything other than requiring that the ship perform the maneuver on the dial introduces the potential for gaming the system. If the TO says that, despite a dial showering a maneuver, the player must execute a 2 straight, what stops the player from making a split second decision about saying that the dial was not set or that the dial was simply left to the side? This allows the player to, after having seeing any other moves that have already taken place, deciding between what is in the ship's dial and a 2 straight.

If the rule is that any dial not placed facedown next to the corresponding ship or in a different established area (like in the pilot card) is a 2 straight, then that would be fine.

i think making the ship perform what ever maneuver is on its dial makes more sense, no matter where that dial is placed. i don't want to imagine people intentionally moving their dial off the table to perform a two white straight when they see their dialed in maneuver would give them a disadvantage.

19 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

For forgotten dials, I’ve seen TOs rule a 2 white straight, and agree this is best. 

Mismatched you still do the maneuvers selected, IF it is a legal move for the ship BUT at the difficulty of the ship’s own dial. Otherwise, if impossible, default to 2 white straight. 

This is what you do. The issue is that FFG left out a lot of dial rules in 2.0 so right now, any dial issues/mistakes mean you do a 2 white straight. 

None the less, per the rules, you are supposed to set your dial next to your ship. If your opponent is not doing that, you need to remind them to do so. 

7 hours ago, shaunmerritt said:

None the less, per the rules, you are supposed to set your dial next to your ship.

This. It kinda annoys me when they just line them up at the edge of the mat, especially when they are all the same ship type. 

1 hour ago, Lyianx said:

This. It kinda annoys me when they just line them up at the edge of the mat, especially when they are all the same ship type. 

There are two situations where I do this: when there isn't much room to place the dials clearly next to the correct ships, and also when the ships are the far side of the mat and my dials are slightly loose (I have had an opponent flip my dial because I'd struggle to reach it and inadvertantly change the manoeuvre I'd set. Nothing I could do, but losing one of my important ships off the board due to something avoidable like this is not an experience I wish to repeat).

In both cases, the dials get put on their correct pilot card so they can't be mis-assigned.

3 hours ago, benlane17 said:

I put the dial anywhere, but all mine are painted and so are the ships, the orange dial is for the orange ship :)

This is a good way to do it too. 

13 hours ago, Gilarius said:

There are two situations where I do this: when there isn't much room to place the dials clearly next to the correct ships, and also when the ships are the far side of the mat and my dials are slightly loose (I have had an opponent flip my dial because I'd struggle to reach it and inadvertantly change the manoeuvre I'd set. Nothing I could do, but losing one of my important ships off the board due to something avoidable like this is not an experience I wish to repeat).

In both cases, the dials get put on their correct pilot card so they can't be mis-assigned.

I've had a loose dial before. I get concerned about that very thing so when i discover that they are loose, i take steps to fix it. Like putting tape around the core to give it a bit more thickness. 

As long as its done in a way that doesn't cause confusion for either player of what dials go to what ships.

Best way to fix loose dials is a hammer.

Genuinely, the reason most of them are loose is because the rivet hasn't been fully snapped together, put the dial flat on the table and whack the rivet with a hammer.  Alternately shove it under a table leg and lean hard on the table.

Best way to assemble them, too.

I typically put dials next to the card rather than the ship, to try to reduce clutter on the battlefield.  My dials are also numbered to match the ship IDs.

I suppose if someone made a fuss about it, I'd put the dials next to the ship... and then be vaguely grumpy every time I needed to move a dial because a ship needed to fly through it.

With approximately 600 different kinds of tokens floating around, not to mention 4-16 ships, I really don't understand why the rules insist that we must add to the mess.

Also there's the chance (admittedly slim) that someone will accidentally grab not just the wrong dial but the wrong player's dial in a mirror-match situation. 

1 hour ago, lordvorkon said:

I really don't understand why the rules insist that we must add to the mess.

Having the dial, face down, next to the ship, indicates that its ready, and for which ship its for. Once your opponent sees all of your ships have dials, they know you are ready to move on to the system phase. 

Also, it creates a standard. When everyone setups up their dials in a different way, it can cause confusion. 

As far as dial grabs, as with all thing, mark them in some unique way so they know its yours. As you have done putting numbers on them. I, put colored dot stickers  (all the same color) on them with my initials (i do this with devices/obstacles as well). Not sure why you have to be grumpy moving a dial aside abit. Happens all the time. We have to move ships sometimes to.. Are you grumpy about that as well? Its part of the game.