Darth Meanie

Your Space Oddity

2 hours ago, Polda said:

*Oh! I forgot to grumble about the Rogue Shadow being an ugly, over-designed, too edgy for its own sake, art direction lacking monstrosity. Grumble grumble. 

I can agree with that.  If it was symmetrical, it'd probably be fine, but the two wing-panel side is just foolish.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Correct, there's no reason to assume you couldn't move within the water.

Heck, I'm pretty sure that things that float, would still "float" towards the surface of the water, because floating is a function of relative density and pressure, not gravity.

I think?

Floating is because of density and pressure, but the pressure is caused by gravity. So I don’t think float-y things would move toward a surface, but once there they probably wouldn’t easily get engulfed again. The only reason all the water would stay together is because of the surface tension (gravity from the mass of the water itself should be negligible)

BTW, sorry all for the off topic-ness, but it’s an interesting thought experiment. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Correct, there's no reason to assume you couldn't move within the water.

Heck, I'm pretty sure that things that float, would still "float" towards the surface of the water, because floating is a function of relative density and pressure, not gravity.

I think?

Yes, mechanically you should be able to move within the sphere. Newton’s laws of motion still apply, and you swimming would create resistance within the water to move forward.

As for floating, here’s a fun hypothetical. You float due to density. A sphere of water is held as a sphere by surface tension of water, the electromagnetic force between polar molecules you see. So in absence of gravity a concentration of water will tend towards a sphere.

So you wouldn’t float, because you have nothing to float to. Float is due to how density and gravity interact. Without gravity there is nothing to cause you to float, so I believe you would rest in place.

Now in some hypothetical sphere of water under gravity? Yes, you should float. Fun fact, in order to have a sphere of water would require the center of gravity to be in the center of the sphere, so in the hypothetical there should be a point where, if your center of mass was precisely at the center of the sphere, the forces acting on you are in balance and you stay in place. As soon as you deviate from that spot you should, theoretically, rise to the surface.

edit: what @Forgottenlore said basically

Edited by millertime059