Sign in to follow this  
Orkimedes

2019 World Championships - The Lists

8 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I’ve cut and pasted that link a couple time, and for some reason it doesn’t work for me.

If anyone else is having the same problem, click here.

My bad, I think I fixed it now.

This is ******* bull! Designers, please read this thread.

Alternate activation mechanics reward MSU!

High points vehicles, and high points units that are slow, ARE NOT EFFECTIVE ENOUGH FOR THEIR POINTS COSTS!

I love tournaments, and have played them in a lot of systems. I was really looking forward to getting into more tournaments with this game, but this has completely turned me off.

Adding new cards and abilities has not fixed this. Units need points adjustments to reflect the cost of giving up lots of activations.

Alternatively, new tournament rules:

• I'd recommend a tournament rule that caps multiples of units at 2.
  • Troops should probably be capped at 4 corps units total.
  • OR cap total units to 8/9, then you will see a greater spread of the other units.

I’m a big believer in take whatever you want and make it work.

Lack of variety, troop and sniper spam smacks me as being pretty dull, but each to their own.

Personally I find Legion to be very balanced with virtually all units playable, even in a ‘competitive’ game and I don’t think you “need” 10+ activations to do wel.

Part of the issue, I think, is it’s a small event and I get the impression most of the players know each other, talk a lot etc and in that situation people often come to a consensus about what is “best”. 

Another is some people are more comfortable with “what they know” so maybe feel worried about taking some different units when they “really” want to win. 

Good luck to all. Have fun! 

6 hours ago, lologrelol said:

This is ******* bull! Designers, please read this thread.

Alternate activation mechanics reward MSU!

High points vehicles, and high points units that are slow, ARE NOT EFFECTIVE ENOUGH FOR THEIR POINTS COSTS!

I love tournaments, and have played them in a lot of systems. I was really looking forward to getting into more tournaments with this game, but this has completely turned me off.

Adding new cards and abilities has not fixed this. Units need points adjustments to reflect the cost of giving up lots of activations.

• OR cap total units to 8/9, then you will see a greater spread of the other units.

The developers will be there, it’s at FFG HQ. 

I believe we get a chance to discuss the game with them, so some of the things you mentioned will definitely be brought up. 

8 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Yeah, no thanks on any of those.  You might not like playing lists that are "the meta" right now, but I sure as **** wouldn't want to play a game where the rules you propose are in force.  Besides targeting corps unit specifically, you'd also hurt swarm factions like the CIS, and probably usher in a series of lists designed specifically to meet your requirements, but not actually change the game that much.  No thanks.  

Alot of the same stuff from past tournaments, sad not to see more variety. 

Was pretty surprised to see some Palp in there though 😮

36 minutes ago, Lukez said:

Alot of the same stuff from past tournaments, sad not to see more variety. 

Was pretty surprised to see some Palp in there though 😮

Super stoked to see Palp in there - I was hoping for a Luke/Han to show up but no dice. 

Im stoked  to see an even split of rebels and Empire.  That 8 activation Palp list with DTs.  I hope either he or the sab list does really well.  All people obsessed with the current "meta" can suck it.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, weebaer said:

Im stoked  to see an even split of rebels and Empire.  That 8 activation Palp list with DTs.  I hope either he or the sab list does really well.  All people obsessed with the current "meta" can suck it.

I will gladly suck it, if you feel the need to

A: Devalue the work we’ve been putting in the last year to get to this stage 

and

B: Feel the need to put down the way someone plays a game (which I do for fun)

I’m pretty happy that the factions are even and we got two Palp lists. If you think we’re all obsessed with snipers because we brought them, you’re missing the point. 

Edited by TalkPolite

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, TalkPolite said:

and

I’m pretty happy that the factions are even and we got two Palp lists. If you think we’re all obsessed with snipers because we brought them, you’re missing the point. 

I'm not picking a fight here, I'm just curious about the thought process for these players. I wouldn't say players are "obsessed with snipers" but it certainly seems like max activations is viewed as a requirement, yeah?

Also, i know you folks are playing to win a title, so I absolutely do not hold anything against any of you for playing what people view as "boring" lists, or whatever. Good luck to you all!

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TalkPolite said:

and

Not sure how i'm devaluing the work anyone has put in. 

I think it is awesome to get to that stage!  There is no need to get offended that people don't like the current meta and consider cookie cutter lists boring.  That is their opinion, and you enjoying your team is your opinion.  I never said anyone was right or wrong. 

I guess it is hard to read teasing undertones when reading a post that was meant to be silly and all in good fun.  I play competitively a lot and a lot of my friends really like the current meta lists, and I even play current meta lists too sometimes.  

I do think the current meta is over hyped and overplayed.  Which is why I like to root for "non-meta" teams.  

I think you read WAY too much into my post.  I probably should have used some emoji's or something to help others understand the mood of my post.  My bad.

Edited by weebaer

Emojis always help - and sorry if I sounded too hostile, but it sucks when you’re super hyped to go to the first Worlds, but you wake up to “you brought a cookie cutter list and should feel bad” (not specifically you, elsewhere). 

7 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I'm not picking a fight here, I'm just curious about the thought process for these players. I wouldn't say players are "obsessed with snipers" but it certainly seems like max activations is viewed as a requirement, yeah?

Also, i know you folks are playing to win a title, so I absolutely do not hold anything against any of you for playing what people view as "boring" lists, or whatever. Good luck to you all!

Maxing activations has certain perks yeah. I hate how boring I felt submitting the final version of my list, but with what I saw from the Worlds tables, I went with a much safer bet. My Veers Double snow/ Boba list was ready to rock

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TalkPolite said:

Emojis always help - and sorry if I sounded too hostile, but it sucks when you’re super hyped to go to the first Worlds, but you wake up to “you brought a cookie cutter list and should feel bad” (not specifically you, elsewhere). 

Maxing activations has certain perks yeah. I hate how boring I felt submitting the final version of my list, but with what I saw from the Worlds tables, I went with a much safer bet. My Veers Double snow/ Boba list was ready to rock

This may be a stupid analogy, but I'm also a big sports guy, and with every tabletop/card game I've played, the World's lists, or top competitive convention event lists, to me, are just how in basketball, teams shrink their rotations and change who they play based on match-ups deep into the playoffs. You and the other players basically scouted what was successful or played at Adepticon, LVO, etc., and considered what was the most competitive option for your success. And that often leads to a somewhat repetitive landscape for the lists. In the modern NBA, the top teams that were in the conference finals basically had rosters that almost mirrored one another.

You gotta do what you gotta do to match-up properly with your opponents. Then, you may have 1 or 2 that deviate, thinking they will create those mis-matches that might lead to success.

That is a good point.  I didn't think about ruining your excitement.  Sorry about that.  You should definitely be proud of where you are and best of luck man.

7 minutes ago, weebaer said:

That is a good point.  I didn't think about ruining your excitement.  Sorry about that.  You should definitely be proud of where you are and best of luck man.

It’s fine man - I’m still relatively hyped. I’ll probably feel better when I get outta this dang airport! 

Posted (edited)

Enjoy, have fun. 

Not what I would have taken... but I’m not going 😆

If anyone says “you should / shouldn’t have taken ‘X’ “ then the correct response is “well you should have qualified then and shown us how it’s done” 😁

I personally think Legion is more balanced than the list choices for this event suggest. Maybe I could have gone to prove that point if it wasn’t for stupid strength of schedule 🤬.... and if I was better. 

Edited by Dave Grant

Snipers don't need to be restricted. They arnt game breaking like Flotillia spam was in Armada. The sniper inclusion is mostly an arms race to counter the other players infinite range weapon and to contest it; by themselves snipers can't win the game.

If you don't like them, don't play them, but they are not powerful enough to warrant a restriction.

Posted (edited)

I don't think anyone is surprised none of these made any list:

- ATST

- Tank

- Speeder Bikes

- Landspeeder

- ATRT

- T47 (lol @derrault)

All of the above are still overCOSTED. Once these are viable, many other units become useful (ion, FD, HH-12, etc)

Edited by Thraug

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Restrictions just create new meta lists. The problem is qualifying and missions and other things that have little to do with the army lists as published. 

Honestly the lists here use almost every available trooper unit in the game, and those that didn't make the list at all (the vehicles) are the units that cannot participate in a majority of the mission cards that you're going to play, so their utility is limited to "can it kill enough trooper units"? In most cases, the answer is: no.

16 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Honestly the lists here use almost every available trooper unit in the game, and those that didn't make the list at all (the vehicles) are the units that cannot participate in a majority of the mission cards that you're going to play, so their utility is limited to "can it kill enough trooper units"? In most cases, the answer is: no.

I am all for “fixing” staleness. But in the ancient history of the 90’s, GW often fixed tournament predictably by making the lists selectively LESS restrictive. Not more restrictive.