Force Majeure

Most Hated Pilots

Posted (edited)

I think my most hated pilot of all time though is when I play Fenn Rau and he constantly rolls blank green die...

I should add my most recent woe when playing in a Hyperspace trail, my Fenn was killed by 2 rounds of shooting by a Torrent.... My die are telling me to play Beef...I just cant do it......yet....

Edited by Archangelspiv

1 hour ago, CoffeeMinion said:

I find it somewhat funny and sad that Scum’s Scummiest pilots draw so much ire. I can’t help but think that means they’re doing something right, though, given that debuffs and shenanigans are (ostensibly) part of their faction identity.

It just that the ships I named have *incredibly powerful effects* that are *incredibly easy* to trigger.  Palob gets 2 free actions at the start of engage.  4-L0M can force stress upon already-stressed ships AND lose his own stress while paying no cost.  Oh, and his SECOND PILOT ABILITY synergizes well with the first.  Seevor gets a free actions when he engages or defends unless his small base is in the special 5% of your Arc.

Most stuff in 2.0, you have to fly right to get such immensely powerful deleterious effects, but these three basically get them by existing, and that feels bad to me.

Exactly @Ablazoned. Compare Palob to Old T. For most ships stripping one green token versus all is functionally identical.

Its range 2 in my arc, which is far easier and far less risky than range 1 in your arc.

It also gives me the token.

Old T is good and very playable. And Palob can’t do the thing where you dive into range 1 of a Moldy Jan and strip all three focus tokens. But Palob’s ability is just bonkers strong.

And as someone who loves Interceptors and Strikers Palob and Wedge are two particularly painful enemies.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

If Beef are allowing multiple shots on Wedge at close range then they are flying it wrong.

Thanks for the compliment I guess. 😀
Not claiming it is an easy matchup but I have a very good track record against beef.

(also helped by the fact you face it so bloody often of course)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AceDogbert said:

I find the Wedge hate interesting. He has a very strong ability, but he doesn't have the action economy or manoeuvrability to allow him to do ace shenanigans. He is almost guaranteed to be the first thing that gets shot at, and you either accept that he is going to die in the first turn or two of shooting, or invest in having Biggs/things with Selfless to try and protect him (which then really ties your hands together when it comes to flying). If his points go up as some want, I don't know how well Rebels will cope. 

My personal bugbear is the Fang Fighter, and Old Teroch in particular. It's a fighter which gets bonuses for being shot at at range one (assuming a normal arc), has a dial and action options which really allow it to get into that space, and then Old Teroch further mucks around by stripping all green tokens from such a ship. Plays havoc with action choices, as lower initiative pilots will almost universally take a Focus action, and forces higher initiative/other I5 ships to take locks when they really might want to take a focus/other green tokens.

That said, it's a cool little ship. My hatred stems from it making me have to work to kill it!

Oh, I don't think Wedge is a problem or particularly unfair.  His role in the game as an ace-hunter is probably pretty important.  I think Wedge is probably a hair too cheap at 52, but whatever.

I hate him because he's good against what I like.  That said, he's a cool little ship. My hatred stems from him making me have to work to not get killed by him!

I also think Rebels won't be too badly off if they get a few reasonable nerfs.  Not as heavy as the January Scum and Whisper/Redline nerfs, but Rebels really do need nerfs.  Wedge + Leia U + Stuff (usually a B-Wing or two) is a too strong and too popular list.  Adding about 10 points total to the most popular versions means that Rebels need to make a few more choices, switch to cheaper pilots, cut down a few upgrades.  The bones of the list will be there, and I think it'll still be decent, it just won't be three of the top 5 list archetypes.  That's ****ing absurd.  I don't think the worst days of Scum before the January nerfs were that bad.

Edited by theBitterFig

19 minutes ago, Elkerlyc said:

Thanks for the compliment I guess. 😀
Not claiming it is an easy matchup but I have a very good track record against beef.

(also helped by the fact you face it so bloody often of course)

You are right on the money there, because it is so prevalent, you know how to take it apart. All depends on the person flying it if they let you.

38 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Oh, I don't think Wedge is a problem or particularly unfair.  His role in the game as an ace-hunter is probably pretty important.  I think Wedge is probably a hair too cheap at 52, but whatever.

I hate him because he's good against what I like.  That said, he's a cool little ship. My hatred stems from him making me have to work to not get killed by him!

I also think Rebels won't be too badly off if they get a few reasonable nerfs.  Not as heavy as the January Scum and Whisper/Redline nerfs, but Rebels really do need nerfs.  Wedge + Leia U + Stuff (usually a B-Wing or two) is a too strong and too popular list.  Adding about 10 points total to the most popular versions means that Rebels need to make a few more choices, switch to cheaper pilots, cut down a few upgrades.  The bones of the list will be there, and I think it'll still be decent, it just won't be three of the top 5 list archetypes.  That's ****ing absurd.  I don't think the worst days of Scum before the January nerfs were that bad.

And people called me mad for flying Wedge, Biggs, Cassian and Arvel! I was merely ahead of my time!

54 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

This is where I am at with Wedge. He's not so much an ace, but an ace hunter. He is just super bad now since he is backed up by the rest of beef. if Wedge went up 1 or 2 he would still be good for his price point though.

For myself, I don't truly have a pilot I hate, but Braylen earns my ire the most for being Diet Boba Fett at 30ish less points.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

And people called me mad for flying Wedge, Biggs, Cassian and Arvel! I was merely ahead of my time!

Nice! I have a similar list that I have yet to put on the table. But it sounds fun.

8 minutes ago, Wrecker01 said:

I believe the most hated pilots are Miranda, Dengar and Nym. They were all overnerfed with 2.0 or in the case of rebel Nym, completly removed from the game.  

Well, imperial sprays were also removed 😛

and Miranda isn't awful, it's just a very different playstyle where her longplay tanking isn't augmented by tlt nonsense

the jm5k though...poor thing got butchered. I have no clue why they decided it needed NO WHITE TURNS (to the right). So that was probably the most hated ship 😛

Man, this thread really makes me appreciate how nothing in 2nd Ed is even remotely as hair-tearingly bull as 1st Ed. How far we've come!

9 minutes ago, TBot said:

Those **** tugboats. I put all my guns into them in the first engagement so they cant tractor my aces the following turn. Yet they always squeek by with 1 hp and ruin my day. How do these have the same agility as an x-wing???????

How do are they 70% engine but have no boost action?

in 1.0, Shadowcasters had to die. didn't care what else was on the board, didn't care what the win condition was... if there was a shadow caster on the board it needed to go away ASAP

in 2.0 Nein Numb. I can't fly him, he always has my number.... makes me upset. 

4 hours ago, Micanthropyre said:

Vader, soontir, two barrage bombers is the most common. Vader, be soontir, stele has been seen. Played a game of extended against Vader soontir two ion gunboats.

Isn’t that no bid? And no autothrusters for boost? 

1 hour ago, TBot said:

Those **** tugboats. I put all my guns into them in the first engagement so they cant tractor my aces the following turn. Yet they always squeek by with 1 hp and ruin my day. How do these have the same agility as an x-wing???????

Just in case you ever wished that they had a face you could punch...

Related image

2 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

Nice! I have a similar list that I have yet to put on the table. But it sounds fun.

It's fun, but don't expect Arvel to live long. He naturally wants to fly headlong into the enemy, which often ends badly for him...

Wedge with Biggs and a Selfless Cassian, however, generally lives long enough to earn his keep.

Posted (edited)

Looking to the future, once Beef is (hopefully) dead, we'll have a new crop of rebels to hate

Specifically Passive Sensors, Who Needs Ordnance Anyway!?

How it works is simple! Passive Sensors let you do the previously impossible by reliably acquiring low I target locks. Match this with the GLUT of rebellion focus support mechanics and have at it!

So

1 ) bring your generic (now super spinny!) Bwings with sensors; possibly with selfless 

Then just add

Jake, Garven, Two Tubes, Esege, Kyle, Cracken, Lando etc etc etc

(Sensors only disallow coordinates, but even then ap-5 can coordinate B's before they activate)

2) bring your generic, soon to be Hyperspace VCX

Then just add the aforementioned pilots and/or Saw or Kanan crew!

Note: wouldnt use Us. They're more expensive than Bs and need focus for their 2 agility to ever matter 

Edited by ficklegreendice

5 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Passive Sensors let you do the previously impossible by reliably acquiring low I target locks

If this pans out, it may at last be the beginning of a new golden age for generic Punishers.

They said I was MAD when I bought three in First Edition...

18 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

Vader.

I completely outfly my opponent, putting Vader in a killbox turn after turn. Vader not only survives, but doesn't even half. This is a regular occurance.

Seconding this one, emphasis the outfly part.

7 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Then just add

Jake, Garven, Two Tubes, Esege, Kyle, Cracken, Lando etc etc etc

This is the part that might make it work.  It's a lot easier to pass Focus tokens to someone than it is to pass locks.  Passive Sensors enable low-init Locks combined with having Focus tokens passed to the B-Wing or Ghost.  Without a Focus-support ship, it's more cost effective for the same dice results to just Focus rather than Passive Sensors for a Lock.  Lock possibly could be kept if unused, but is that really worth 5-6 points?  I kinda don't think so.  Not without Focus support from another ship.

Eh.  It'll all depend on costs, I think.  Seems like it'd be easier to just run Braylen, and use Jake to pass a Focus to Wedge, who can lock on his own, and take a plain strong 4th ship.

Hrm.

Jake, AP-5, Lothal Rebel, Blue B-Wing.  Ghost gets a free Corrdinate, which can be used for Jake Shenanigans or pre-focusing the B-Wing.  Lothal and B will both Passive Sensors.  Can probably absorb Leia up to like 10 points or so.  Maybe missiles could be squeezed onto Jake, too...