Force Majeure

Most Hated Pilots

24 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Surprising how much ppl hate Wedge. I must admit he as powerful and I honestly am rather scared of him. If he engages, I try and gun him down asap. 

Vader i can see being a pain to play against too. 

But anything fat turreted, run around and regain and win on points I generally really hate. 

Yeah, Fat Han Sucks, LOL!

I find the Wedge hate interesting. He has a very strong ability, but he doesn't have the action economy or manoeuvrability to allow him to do ace shenanigans. He is almost guaranteed to be the first thing that gets shot at, and you either accept that he is going to die in the first turn or two of shooting, or invest in having Biggs/things with Selfless to try and protect him (which then really ties your hands together when it comes to flying). If his points go up as some want, I don't know how well Rebels will cope. 

My personal bugbear is the Fang Fighter, and Old Teroch in particular. It's a fighter which gets bonuses for being shot at at range one (assuming a normal arc), has a dial and action options which really allow it to get into that space, and then Old Teroch further mucks around by stripping all green tokens from such a ship. Plays havoc with action choices, as lower initiative pilots will almost universally take a Focus action, and forces higher initiative/other I5 ships to take locks when they really might want to take a focus/other green tokens.

That said, it's a cool little ship. My hatred stems from it making me have to work to kill it!

12 minutes ago, Porkchop Express said:

Vader.

I completely outfly my opponent, putting Vader in a killbox turn after turn. Vader not only survives, but doesn't even half. This is a regular occurance.

I do feel for you. 

(But I do love Vader) 

Posted (edited)

Vader, Soontir, Palp Vermeil was a frustrating experience for me. Gave the aces a proper good chasing. Spent 4 turns popping at a fleeing Soontir with an Inquisitor at R2/R1 and double mods. Even had Vader in a 3 way kill box with Outmanoeuvre, 5th Bro Echo at the back of it. Scored no points.

I have since swapped Rex out of the list I had that day and put Vader in :D

Edited by Cuz05

Currently Wedge, Soontir and Vader, because I'm tired of constantly playing against them. If Guri and Nien were played as much it would be them.

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Surprising how much ppl hate Wedge.

It's because it's all the time for me. He's the single most played pilot in list fortress by a long way, more than double the next most played pilot (Vader).

2 hours ago, pakirby said:

Wedge with Proton Torps can take out a 4 health ship in one shot.  He took out my Duchess in the second round.  

Can, but it's still less likely. Torpedoes are a 4-dice attack, and unless he has some off-board shenanigans he's got nothing but the lock, so getting more than 3 hits is above average.

The odds of neither one of those dice coming up useless on the reroll nor duchess getting an evade on her (lone) green die are little more than 11%.

That's not to say he can't - and there's always a risk of that automatic critical coming up Direct Hit! - but he's not quite as brutal as you might think.

Personally, I'd have preferred his ability to be bullseye-locked (regardless of his points value), but that's not going to change now.

I think my personal least favourite pilot is probably Lu'Lo, because from the perspective of a striker swarm, I'm just sat there and trying to figure out how, when you Initiative 5, have a better dial and the same basic stats (assuming you use Refined Gyrostabilizers), half your hit-points are critical-proof shields, you have rear-firing guns, a missile slot, and two talent slots (including access to the dirt-cheap Heroic), you still cost the same as a generic Initiative 3 TIE striker.

6 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I think my personal least favourite pilot is probably Lu'Lo, because from the perspective of a striker swarm, I'm just sat there and trying to figure out how, when you Initiative 5, have a better dial and the same basic stats (assuming you use Refined Gyrostabilizers), half your hit-points are critical-proof shields, you have rear-firing guns, a missile slot, and two talent slots (including access to the dirt-cheap Heroic), you still cost the same as a generic Initiative 3 TIE striker.

The answer is, of course, that the I3 Striker is laughably overcosted. Also, the Aileron move gives you a strange flexibility which the RZ-2 doesn't have. Granted, the I3 pilots can't really make the best use of it compared to the I1 (ha ha ha, time for blocking) or the named pilots, but it is there.

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Vader, Soontir, Palp Vermeil was a frustrating experience for me. Gave the aces a proper good chasing. Spent 4 turns popping at a fleeing Soontir with an Inquisitor at R2/R1 and double mods. Even had Vader in a 3 way kill box with Outmanoeuvre, 5th Bro Echo at the back of it. Scored no points.

I have since swapped Rex out of the list I had that day and put Vader in :D

This.

I get the feeling that if you opened another thread about "most beloved" pilots, the same names would show up": Wedge, Vader, Soontir, etc.

Posted (edited)

Wedge is great as a damage dealer in a jousting list but he has no mobility, blows up fast when under fire and no additional action economy. I have no problem with him and I say this as a player who mostly plays Republic, people need to git good. Leia on the other hand needs to be 6 points.

And for the most hated pilot for me - Vader with bid, never managed to beat him with Republic.

Edited by Revanxv

56 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I get the feeling that if you opened another thread about "most beloved" pilots, the same names would show up

2 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Palob, 4-L0M, Seevor

I find it somewhat funny and sad that Scum’s Scummiest pilots draw so much ire. I can’t help but think that means they’re doing something right, though, given that debuffs and shenanigans are (ostensibly) part of their faction identity.

(Or maybe I’m just telling myself that to justify running these guys plus a cheap Kimo as one big, ugly “Troll Squadron.” Problem?!)

4 hours ago, AceDogbert said:

I find the Wedge hate interesting. He has a very strong ability, but he doesn't have the action economy or manoeuvrability to allow him to do ace shenanigans. He is almost guaranteed to be the first thing that gets shot at, and you either accept that he is going to die in the first turn or two of shooting, or invest in having Biggs/things with Selfless to try and protect him (which then really ties your hands together when it comes to flying). If his points go up as some want, I don't know how well Rebels will cope. 

Individually you are right, but this isn't a game of single ships. With Dutch or a U Wing, Wedge can get double modded shots every round pretty much.

17 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Palob, 4-L0M, Seevor, Jakku Gunrunners.

I was thinking of running this at the next System Open...

4-LOM (49)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Mist Hunter (2)    

Ship total: 61  

Palob Godalhi (40)    
    Moldy Crow (18)    

Ship total: 58   

Captain Seevor (30)    
Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Crack Shot (1)    

Ship total: 49      

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v7!s=200!109:,111,,,,155:U.-1;112:,,,,,,156:;247:,:;150:116,,,,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Just now, Archangelspiv said:

Individually you are right, but this isn't a game of single ships. With Dutch or a U Wing, Wedge can get double modded shots every round pretty much.

True. Double modded shots hurt.
But Wedge dies fast under fire. Very fast. Doubly so if he spends his focus on attack.

Wedge never seemed a problem to me in Rebel Beef. (never really tried it myself. Boring ;) )

11 minutes ago, Elkerlyc said:

True. Double modded shots hurt.
But Wedge dies fast under fire. Very fast. Doubly so if he spends his focus on attack.

Wedge never seemed a problem to me in Rebel Beef. (never really tried it myself. Boring ;) )

If Beef are allowing multiple shots on Wedge at close range then they are flying it wrong.

5 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Btw, can you share the hardest Vader lists you've played against? (yknow, for science)

Vader, soontir, two barrage bombers is the most common. Vader, be soontir, stele has been seen. Played a game of extended against Vader soontir two ion gunboats.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

I was thinking of running this at the next System Open...

4-LOM (49)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Mist Hunter (2)    

Ship total: 61  

Palob Godalhi (40)    
    Moldy Crow (18)    

Ship total: 58   

Captain Seevor (30)    
Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Crack Shot (1)    

Ship total: 49      

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v7!s=200!109:,111,,,,155:U.-1;112:,,,,,,156:;247:,:;150:116,,,,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Good... GOOD... feel the Scumminess flow through you!