Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

How long before.....?

Let’s just suppose that there are some people out there who love Armada, but for one reason or another aren’t planning on getting the $200 SSD, that can’t even be fully used in a standard game.  

How long do we have to wait before we get an article on something for Armada other than the SSD?  I’m not asking for new content, even tough I play mostly Empire and the last completely new ship we got was the Quasar, I am just asking for an article.  We know stuff is coming.  The New Campaign (super excited for that).  The new factions (super excited for that), and new “sizable” ships.

So how long do you think we will have to wait until we get an article for Armada about content we are getting that is not the SSD.

(In all honesty, I am sort of excited for the SSD, but we were told it was coming so long ago, that I really want to here about something else.)

7 minutes ago, Hrathen said:

Let’s just suppose that there are some people out there who love Armada, but for one reason or another aren’t planning on getting the $200 SSD, that can’t even be fully used in a standard game.  

But you can use two variants of the SSD in a standard game... or did you miss that because you were too busy complaining about more articles?

A Gencon announcement is pretty likely in my opinion (in other words, I'd be worried if they didn't announce something non-ISD related at Gencon, though it'll probably just be a brief restatement about Rebellion in the Rim and eventual CW era stuff, as was covered at Adepticon).  That said, in the past two Gencons combined Armada has gotten a combined total of about 90 seconds of air time between both In Flight Reports.  Even if something gets teased/announced/mentioned at Gencon, it won't necessarily have a full corresponding article on the website right away, and FFG typically doesn't put full-blown articles out for future product until the current product is actually on shelves. 

I wouldn't expect any articles about new content until the SSD has dropped... which will be who knows when now with the trade-war stuff that seems to be happening in a variety of ways.  X-Wing, FFG's golden child, is now experiencing its first release delay since  Second Edition launched back at the end of last summer.  Wave 4 is now about two weeks overdue with no word or confirmation about when it's actual street date will be, but apparently some vendors around the world (including B&N in the States) have product... but no one knows why/what the hold-up is on missing the early June release date. 

When X-Wing is starting to misfire on releases, it likely means something substantial is happening in the distribution chain, and that may further compound whatever other issues have been dragging down the SSD, but hopefully not.

And there was me thinking the OPs post was going to say....

there is an 'armadas dead' thread?

😛🤣

However to answer the OPs question: when we have pasted 730 days since last release... then they will go 'hang on people are still harping on about this game after 2 years prehaps if we release some content we'll make some money'

11 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

But you can use two variants of the SSD in a standard game... or did you miss that because you were too busy complaining about more articles?

I'm not sure why I keep bothering with this, but here I am...

You know that's not the point, right? You know that not everyone wants an SSD, right? I have zero desire to play with or against that thing. Flyers, Super-Heavies, and Titans don't belong in standard games of 40k, Colossals don't belong in standard games of Warmachine, and SSDs (plural, because you know there will SSD on SSD battles) don't belong in standard games of Armada. Every miniatures game just HAS to release that giant model then try to shoe-horn it into a smaller game size, and it's super exhausting at this point.

Edit: It's a gorgeous model. I'm happy it's coming, we all want different things and I know it's popular. My problem is FFG put all the Armada eggs in that basket, then dropped the basket. Delivering no new content for 500+ days because of the SSD production issues has strangled Armada.

Edited by IronNerd
It's not all bad...

32 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

I'm not sure why I keep bothering with this, but here I am...

You know that's not the point, right? You know that not everyone wants an SSD, right? I have zero desire to play with or against that thing. Flyers, Super-Heavies, and Titans don't belong in standard games of 40k, Colossals don't belong in standard games of Warmachine, and SSDs (plural, because you know there will SSD on SSD battles) don't belong in standard games of Armada. Every miniatures game just HAS to release that giant model then try to shoe-horn it into a smaller game size, and it's super exhausting at this point.

Edit: It's a gorgeous model. I'm happy it's coming, we all want different things and I know it's popular. My problem is FFG put all the Armada eggs in that basket, then dropped the basket. Delivering no new content for 500+ days because of the SSD production issues has strangled Armada.

Not trying to be rude, but I think you missed the point of my post.  The OP stated something factually incorrect in that SSDs couldn’t be used in a standard game.  It is never usually a good idea to start a discussion on a false premise.

7 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Not trying to be rude, but I think you missed the point of my post.  The OP stated something factually incorrect in that SSDs couldn’t be used in a standard game.  It is never usually a good idea to start a discussion on a false premise.

The OP's point, as I understand it, is that not everyone is getting or even wants an SSD. For THOSE people (I'm one of them, but this is obvious by now), this wait is even worse than it is for everyone else. Not only are we waiting a very, very long time, but we're not even getting something we deem valuable or necessary.

It's not the SSD that bothers me, it's the fact that the entire game got put on the back burner for that one model. That is exactly what I read the OPs sentiment to be, and I agree. I may be wrong, but I think you may be missing the point as well.

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude about this either. Everything I say is born of pure frustration. "The community" seems to have an attitude of "Hey, this will all be worth it, we'll have the SSD!" I get why that attitude exists, but it's presumptuous. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't have confidence the SSD will be good for the game, and the game has effectively died in my area because of the wait. Apologies if I'm coming off mean or combative, I truly do not intend it.

Edited by IronNerd

2 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

The OP's point, as I understand it, is that not everyone is getting or even wants an SSD. For THOSE people (I'm one of them, but this is obvious by now), this wait is even worse than it is for everyone else. Not only are we waiting a very, very long time, but we're not even getting something we deem valuable or necessary.

It's not the SSD that bothers me, it's the fact that the entire game got put on the back burner for that one model. That is exactly what I read the OPs sentiment to be, and I agree. I may be wrong, but I think you may be missing the point as well.

I get that, but the OP was specifically wanting more articles on something other than the SSD.  We got the Rebellion in the Rim announcement and then an article about it.  This is what happens with every expansion.  So until they announce the next two ships we are getting (specific, not just “sizeable”), which will likely come before a Clone Wars article, we are likely not going to get another non-SSD article.  Which makes this just a “Give me more, FFG” post.

2 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I get that, but the OP was specifically wanting more articles on something other than the SSD.  We got the Rebellion in the Rim announcement and then an article about it.  This is what happens with every expansion.  So until they announce the next two ships we are getting (specific, not just “sizeable”), which will likely come before a Clone Wars article, we are likely not going to get another non-SSD article.  Which makes this just a “Give me more, FFG” post.

You're not wrong, but saying exactly this instead of "You know you can use the SSD in standard games" and tossing a little dis at the OP would have been the better approach, in my opinion.

...and at this point, about the only life on this forum is "Give me more, FFG", isn't it? Didn't our article predictions thread hit a week with no posts and was still safely on the front page? We've got so little, we'll see more "Give me more, FFG" posts until there is something to talk about.

To be fair, I don't think the SSD is"holding up Armada", as much as X-wing and Legion are "holding up Armada". Hopefully development has been ongoing throughout the delay, and Armada will see a parade of product starting at Gencon.

Do I think its likely... No, but it is a possibility, so fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

You're not wrong, but saying exactly this instead of "You know you can use the SSD in standard games" and tossing a little dis at the OP would have been the better approach, in my opinion.

...and at this point, about the only life on this forum is "Give me more, FFG", isn't it? Didn't our article predictions thread hit a week with no posts and was still safely on the front page? We've got so little, we'll see more "Give me more, FFG" posts until there is something to talk about.

The “dis” was for two reasons. First, it was obvious that the OP has failed to read the articles that we already have... but wants more articles.  Even if you are not going to buy an SSD, you are likely going to be playing against one, so it benefits one to read the articles about it.  Second, after enduring the last year before the plethora of information we got recently (SSD articles, RotR campaign announcement/articles, Two “sizeable” ships announcement, and Clone Wars announcement), I hate it that the forums have already seemed to revert back to “Cool... so what else?”

I fully agree with your second part, and wish that there was more “constructive” activity on the forums (paging @Piratical Moustache).  That’s why I have been posting so many BATREPs.  We aren’t top tier players and sometimes they aren’t very exciting games, but at least it lets the community know that people are still out there playing Armada.

6 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

The “dis” was for two reasons. First, it was obvious that the OP has failed to read the articles that we already have... but wants more articles.  Even if you are not going to buy an SSD, you are likely going to be playing against one, so it benefits one to read the articles about it.  Second, after enduring the last year before the plethora of information we got recently (SSD articles, RotR campaign announcement/articles, Two “sizeable” ships announcement, and Clone Wars announcement), I hate it that the forums have already seemed to revert back to “Cool... so what else?”

I'll sign off for the day after this, I think we're at least in the same book now, if not on the same page. Just have to point out that those announcements were just shy of 3 months ago (March 28th, as far as I can tell). That's an eternity in internet years... Not surprised it's starting to swing back. Heck, I went a good month without even coming to the forums because I knew there wasn't anything happening. I was sort of hoping something would have been sitting here to welcome me, but it's more of the same. Think I'll try to just forget about Armada until GenCon, looks like we're SOL until then. 

I'm guessing we will get some news at Gencon, but it will be typically FFG handling of Armada.

SSD still coming!  Stay tuned for our other big ships being announced!  Oh yeah, don't forget we are bringing clone wars to Armada!

That will be it.  And what we will likely see is that the SSD is just barely going to show up before the end of the year.  The other two ships that have been teased will be announced around Sept/Oct and slide in around Mar/April.  The clone wars stuff will probably delay until late 2020 if not 2021. 

FFG not only has too many irons in the fire, but now they have to consider the implications of a 25% tariff on their products.  If products aren't pushing enough sales numbers, is it worth the effort into it at this point?  Is there enough of a profit margin in armada vs legion products?  Do they need to raise prices, and if they do so will it only lower demand which then makes titles less profitable?

I really think GenCon will have LOTs of FFG Star Wars announcements. I think we’ll get word on the SSD. I think we’ll get announcements on our new ships for a Christmas release.  Also think we’ll get more on Clone Wars.

I think we’ll get X-Wing Wave 6, card packs and Epic announced along with the new X-Wing campaign.

And, we’ll get a bunch of Legion Clone War and GCW expansions.

Pumping sunshine!!

Edited by drail14me

On 6/19/2019 at 10:26 PM, dominosfleet said:

gencon? adepticon was in march. I think there "Might" be an announcement on the two next ships at gencon but if not I'd bet Nov/Dec. 

You are correct oops