Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

Concerning Hobbits

Do I get that right? The contract card is not limited to the missions of this expansion. Anyone knows if there are other contract cards and if so, how many?

Gotta love Fellowship in saga scenarios like the Black Riders, since you can begin with 4 unique characters already in play. Likewise, adventures where you have to "protect" one unique ally, like The Redhorn Gate, Road to Rivendell, Trouble in Tharbad, The Nîn-in-Eilph, Across the Ettenmoors, etc., will benefit from the Fellowship contract one ally quicker than usual. I'm trying to think about scenarios in which you get to control two unique allies from the starting setup, but I can't remember anyone. Oh, and it's cool Into Ithilien gives you Celador from the start, too! :)

I'm mostly a thematic player, so I'll love the contract and I'll try to build my Fellowship true to the book.

12 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Gotta love Fellowship in saga scenarios like the Black Riders, since you can begin with 4 unique characters already in play. Likewise, adventures where you have to "protect" one unique ally, like The Redhorn Gate, Road to Rivendell, Trouble in Tharbad, The Nîn-in-Eilph, Across the Ettenmoors, etc., will benefit from the Fellowship contract one ally quicker than usual. I'm trying to think about scenarios in which you get to control two unique allies from the starting setup, but I can't remember anyone. Oh, and it's cool Into Ithilien gives you Celador from the start, too! :)

I'm mostly a thematic player, so I'll love the contract and I'll try to build my Fellowship true to the book.

When you're playing solo you start with two objective allies in the quests The Temple of the Deceived and The Drowned Ruins. Captain Sahír and Na'asiyah in both.

39 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Agreed it looks awesome! What combination of ally and hero cards will you use though? Hobbit heroes and allies for the rest? The fighting heroes and hobbit allies? Only Aragorn and Frodo don't have allies yet and both of them swap out so you'll need one of them each alternating.

1 hour ago, stimpaksam said:

When you're playing solo you start with two objective allies in the quests The Temple of the Deceived and The Drowned Ruins. Captain Sahír and Na'asiyah in both.

You get Lord Alcaron and Faramir in "The Blood of Gondor", too.

Desperate Alliance could be really useful if you don't find the last one or two allies to reach the cap and and the other players "borrow" you a hero to fulfil the contract. And you don't even have to flip it back as the heroes don't leave the game :D

The Hobbits easily steal the shop in this article. Pippin is a two willpower TACTICS ally with two hitpoints that is always ready to attack when he has an attack value great than zero. For the low cost of two ressources. Insane! Really an Arwen level of an ally. I dig the artwork too.
About the same goes for Merry. Two willpower isn't so unheard of in leadership, but two willpower with two hitpoints for onl two ressources will always be awesome. And he makes this big quests pushes to advance or win much easier. ust combine him with Faramir :D (no not the new lore verison, as Faramir seems to be doomed to never outclass his core-set form)

Frodos artwork is a little bit generic for me as this could be about any Hobbit on a pony. But he has a great effect. For one ressources (most leadership decks will have one to spare eventually) you get threat reduction (if it weren't for doomed you couldn't even loose the game this way) AND action advantage.

Deck-building wise this expansion seems to be nuts :D 

20 minutes ago, Calvadur said:

Desperate Alliance could be really useful if you don't find the last one or two allies to reach the cap and and the other players "borrow" you a hero to fulfil the contract. And you don't even have to flip it back as the heroes don't leave the game :D

Ah, good call!

Works the same way with Hobbit/Saga heroes, Defender of the West, or rotating objective allies.

I think Lore faramir is an awesome card -- it especially helps with the guarded or encounter attachments. Between him and tactics bilbo, you can finagle 6 direct damage to an enemy if they are guarding a card.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

What combination of ally and hero cards will you use though? Hobbit heroes and allies for the rest? The fighting heroes and hobbit allies? Only Aragorn and Frodo don't have allies yet and both of them swap out so you'll need one of them each alternating.

I think I'll give Leadership Frodo, Lore Aragorn and Hero Gandalf a try. I was thinking about Tactics Boromir as the third one, but I want/need Gandalf to stay and Ohoth Gandalf has a steep cost, although you could afford it with LeFrodo and LoAragorn...

Edited by Freeman

(In the first two LOTR sagas)  

This is the easiest way (that comes to mind) of doing it.

Heroes: Gandalf, Leadership Sam, Tactics Aragorn, Fellowship Frodo

Allies: Leadership Merry, Tactics Pippin, Tactics Boromir, Tactics Legolas, Leadership Gimli

On 6/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, sappidus said:

Ah, good call!

Works the same way with Hobbit/Saga heroes, Defender of the West, or rotating objective allies.

It also works with bringing Folco/Caldara/Boromir or any other hero back from the discard pile. Discard some heroes, replace them with allies and when you have reached 9 characters, use Fortune or Fate or Houses of Healing to bring your hero back.