Sign in to follow this  
Da_Brown_Bomber

Casual Play Faction Specific Dice

EXCLAIMER: This idea will send dice variance through the roof and is therefore intended for casual play only.

What if each faction had one red attack die that had a new icon on it that replaces one of the blanks with your own faction symbol.

This faction die turns an otherwise wasted blank result into something good for that specific attack.

So what happens when u roll your own faction symbol on your attack? 

Possible effects could include:

• * reroll up to two other die results from this attack (Rebel & Resistance)*
  • * change one blank result to a hit (Imperial & Separatists)*
  • * change one hit result to a critical result (Scum & FO)*

This effect could be a once per game effect or perhaps boosted from charges for limited upgrades.

eg. Upgrade: Elicit slot. Limited. "Fearless and Inventive". 3 charges. Cost 3pts. When you use a Scum & Villainy die effect, discard one charge. When all charges are discarded, remove your action die from the game replacing it with a standard red attack die.

thoughts?

I think the idea can lead to very thematic games. This may help to emphasize on the faction characteristics. 

19 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

What if each faction had one red attack die that had a new icon on it that replaces one of the blanks with your own faction symbol.

Not sure if replacing the blank side is the way to go. I feel like it should be an investment to roll the special die, a conscious decision, not just roll it every time and see when the effect fits. So the die should be inherently worse except for the 1:8 (or make it 3:8 or whatever, special die...) special effect. That's just my gut, maybe your version with limited uses is the better way to go, making use of the upgrade card mechanic. 

Should this be limited to red dice only? I could imagine it also being applied to greens. Imagine a heroic defense, against all odds, evading a whole attack with one single die (or shooting back or whatever fits the faction) 

Just now, flooze said:

I think the idea can lead to very thematic games. This may help to emphasize on the faction characteristics. 

Not sure if replacing the blank side is the way to go. I feel like it should be an investment to roll the special die, a conscious decision, not just roll it every time and see when the effect fits. So the die should be inherently worse except for the 1:8 (or make it 3:8 or whatever, special die...) special effect. That's just my gut, maybe your version with limited uses is the better way to go, making use of the upgrade card mechanic. 

Should this be limited to red dice only? I could imagine it also being applied to greens. Imagine a heroic defense, against all odds, evading a whole attack with one single die (or shooting back or whatever fits the faction) 

for sure! green dice could be cool too. just wanted to see if the concept would work in principle.

Sounds like something not a million miles from the Elite Attack Die out of Attack Wing:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149624/star-trek-attack-wing-elite-attack-die-resource

pic1808452.jpg

It's interesting, but I'm broadly against palpatine-esque floating bonuses not attached to a specific ship.

A faction-specific die which uses the faction symbol instead of the [critical] is a nice, obvious visual 'special thing', and it'd be no game-breaking idea for the game to include more "spend 1 [critical] result to do something" - that's a very common mechanic in Armada, in fact, being used to trigger stuff like splash damage from assault missile broadsides.

Faction dice where you replace the 1/8 Critical side with a faction symbol (and the result is still considered a crit) - sure. Faction dice where the results are skewed into different odds? Nope, I'm out.

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

My friend J-bot complains

You could have stopped there, actually... :D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

pic1808452.jpg

It's interesting, but I'm broadly against palpatine-esque floating bonuses not attached to a specific ship.

A faction-specific die which uses the faction symbol instead of the [critical] is a nice, obvious visual 'special thing', and it'd be no game-breaking idea for the game to include more "spend 1 [critical] result to do something" - that's a very common mechanic in Armada, in fact, being used to trigger stuff like splash damage from assault missile broadsides.

Epic play is a great place for ideas like this, because the higher points/moire ships thins effects like this down.

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

My friend J-bot complains the game is getting too complicated as it is.  This would make it worse.  Still, neat idea, but balance would be crazy.

One cool very simple mechanic would be to replace the Crit with the Faction Symbol.  The very simple rule could be: "You may choose to use this result as a Critical Hit or 2 Normal Hits."  If the opponent has shields, you still get a bonus effect as opposed to "awe man, the shields just sucked the crit."

And in any event, the gamer dice maniac in me loves the idea of MOR DYCE IN MY BAGSES!!!!

Edited by Darth Meanie

22 minutes ago, flooze said:

Bossk says hello

When, then it's not a broken mechanic, is it? ;)

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I just love the notion of faction-specific prize dice.  Could you imagine the resale value on those?  Holy cow.  

I hope you are kidding.

Because the idea that people only play this game to sell **** on e bay is pretty scummy, no matter which faction you play. 😡

faction specific dice as dice packs would be awesome. Kind of like the dial covers. Wizkids did something similar with Mechwarrior Clix forever ago, I have a few sets of them even. They were just like the normal die except the "6" was the faction symbol and the dice were faction colours.

So like the Crit could be the rebel logo, dice would be red and white for attack/defense.

Imperial would be black/blue dice with the crit the imp symbol.

28 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I hope you are kidding.

Because the idea that people only play this game to sell **** on e bay is pretty scummy, no matter which faction you play. 😡

Maybe you should relax and not infer meaning?  I mean I'd love official black dice with orange symbols to use with Resistance squads.  The mention about eBay prices was because it's true.  

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

When, then it's not a broken mechanic, is it? ;)

I hope you are kidding.

some goto multiple tournaments and earn those extra prizes. Ie, I know someone who has finished top 4 in at least 4 Hyperspace Tournaments. he's sold all but one set of his dice as he doesn't need them. same with templates. why not if you got the extras? it's funding his trip to worlds. 

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

Maybe you should relax and not infer meaning?  

Sorry.  But this read like:

3 hours ago, gennataos said:

I'll admit I didn't read through the whole thread, I just love the notion of faction-specific prize dice.  Could you imagine the resale value on those?  Holy cow.  

"I didn't even read this thru before I got dollar signs in my eyes."

4 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Fair, but that's what you inferred, not what I implied.  

🤨 !!!! MINEFIELD ALERT !!!!! Expectation of text communication to carry implied meaning with no tonal or postural ques to indicate difference from literal content! Break off! BREAK OFF!!!

Seriously... **** like this happens, when there is confusion over or a misunderstanding of your meaning, just clarify and move on. Less of this pissed off spouse "YOU KNOW WHAT I MENT!!!" bull...

9 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 !!!! MINEFIELD ALERT !!!!! Expectation of text communication to carry implied meaning with no tonal or postural ques to indicate difference from literal content! Break off! BREAK OFF!!!

Seriously... **** like this happens, when there is confusion over or a misunderstanding of your meaning, just clarify and move on. Less of this pissed off spouse "YOU KNOW WHAT I MENT!!!" bull...

Seriously.... **** like this happens, when there is confusion over a misunderstanding of your meaning, and you're not a participant, just move on.

4 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Seriously.... **** like this happens, when there is confusion over a misunderstanding of your meaning, and you're not a participant, just move on.

Fair. A bit petty to go that route on a public forum, but fair. Have a fun pointless fight then.

Posted (edited)

How about colour-themed dice rather than new symbols?

For example, attack dice could be related to laser colours: Rebels keep the red attack dice, but Imperials get green attack dice etc.

Defence dice could be related to each faction's predominant ship colours: Rebels get off-white dice with red symbols, Imperials get blue-grey dice with black symbols, First Order get black dice with white symbols, etc.

Edited by Rossetti1828

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Rossetti1828 said:

How about colour-themed dice rather than new symbols?

For example, attack dice could be related to laser colours: Rebels keep the red attack dice, but Imperials get green attack dice etc.

Sadly, I think that would be a very bad idea because of the confusion it would cause.  Attack dice are red; defense dice are green.

However, it might be cool to see "weighted" dice, that have different probabilities of a result attached to certain weapon upgrades.

For example, an orange attack die that has 2 crit results on it assigned to a cannon that tosses 1 orange and 2 red attack dice.

Edited by Darth Meanie

yeah thought about the STAW elite attack dice too.  however i think a better solution was mentioned in another thread about armada style attack dice for different weapons.