Sign in to follow this  
Irate Pooka

How have *you* used Tarkin?

I've decided to fly Tarkin this season, starting at Gencon. How have y'all flown Tarkin? I've read and re-read everything CGYSO and Steel Command have written about Tarkin, but I haven't seen him hit the table in a good long while. I've got something like 8-9 different fleets built around him, but have only had time to test out the one I think most likely to be effective so far. So yeah, how have you used him or seen him used lately that you think is interesting/fun/effective/whatever.

Only in Corellian Conflict, where I had an ISD, Interdictor and 2 Victories...  Because that was just the Token Support I needed.

That was also Pre-Wave 7, too...  So Sovereign wasn't an option...

He's just.  Expensive for what he gives you.  You've got to pay more to really leverage what he gives you, too, which compounds the issue...  Unfortunately, unless you have some grand strategy in place and are willing to pay for it - Thrawn ends up as the preferred choice for bigger limited bonuses...

I loved playing with Tarkin when I was learning the game. Even though he's expensive, his ability can cover a multitude of errors, especially with high command ships like the ISD. Unfortunately, he has become outclassed in 400 point games with cheaper and more effective commanders.

While I have yet to play a game with Sector Fleet rules, I have built up some fleets in preparation for the opportunity. Tarkin can give the SSD that extra boost with it's bonus command token. Add that to a fleet of ISD's and Tarkin can quickly gain usefulness. Plus his cost hurts less when you're working with so many points.

I feel Tarkin can have an advantage over Thrawn when you have an SSD on the field. Since the SSD is likely to be in the fray in round 1, you don't want to use one of Thrawn's dials at that point. But it's a fringe case at best.

In 400 point games, what Tarkin needs to make himself worth the cost is the ability to add command tokens above the command value of a ship. Still keep the limit of one of each type. This might make him too good for CC, and RitR and Sector fleet though.

I've only flown Tarkin back during Wave 0 (core set only).  I was that a**hole who flew 3x VSD with Tarkin and turned off all my engines on Turn 1, making sure to have picked Second Player while packing all objectives that didn't offer victory points for anything other than engaging.

Just deployed my three death-triangles like a little fort and turned on the engines only when/if the Rebels got close.  Back with just CR90s and Nebulon-Bs, there was no way Rebels could win against Tarkin-backed VSDs if they couldn't get behind them or avoid the front arcs.

Here's my Tarkin list.  Haven't played armada in a while, but I took 2nd in a store championship the last time I ran it.

When the SSD comes out, I'll  think about dropping the strategic advisor and one of the turbolasers and replace them with Director Krennic (on the Cymoon) and Officer Darth Vader (on a Gozanti).

++ Standard (Imperial Navy) [400pts] ++

+ Arquitens-class Cruiser +

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser [63pts]: Turbolaser Reroute Circuits, •Captain Needa

+ Gozanti-class Flotilla +

Gozanti-class Assault Carriers [28pts]

Gozanti-class Assault Carriers [28pts]

+ Imperial Star Destroyer +

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit [185pts]: Gunnery Team, H9 Turbolasers, XI7 Turbolasers, •Grand Moff Tarkin, •Intensify Firepower!, •Sovereign, •Strategic Advisor

+ Raider Corvette +

Raider I-class Corvette [64pts]: Early Warning System, External Racks, Ordnance Experts, •Instigator, •Minister Tua 

+ Squadrons +

TIE Fighter [32pts]: 4x TIE Fighter Squadron

+ Objectives +

Assault Objective: Station Assault

Defense Objective: Contested Outpost

Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

++ Total: [400pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

400/400 Opening Salvo, Planetary Ion Cannon, Solar Corona
ISD-Cymoon, Tarkin, Sovereign, Intensify Fire, Gunnery Teams, DTT, SADviser 176
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
Arquitens CL, TRC Needa 63
Valen, Ciena, Black squadron 39

Soverign gives out CF or Nav or Repair tokens as needed whilst banking a CF for itself to activate IF. 

In combat the Arquitens would CF to get to 4 red dice and TRC and IF account for two of them. Tarkin gives a reroll so I found I often didn't need the reroll and it was wasted. Perhaps a Jerjerrod version of the list would be better replacing Tarkin, and Sovereign with Moff-JJ and a comms net flotilla. 6 points freed up replacing Cienna with a normal TIE-Int. 

In 800 point lists however Tarkin/Sovereign is very flexible and well worth the points. 

I have used Tarken in 2 ways the first is with defence/weapon liaison making all ships effectively comand 1.

The second Tarkintens build.

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Solar Corona

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Grand Moff Tarkin (38)
• Captain Brunson (5)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
• Veteran Gunners (5)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
• Sovereign (4)
= 181 Points

Arquitens Command Cruiser (59)
• Engine Techs (8)
= 72 Points

Arquitens Command Cruiser (59)
• Engine Techs (8)
= 72 Points

Gozanti Cruisers (23)
• Comms Net (2)
= 25 Points

Squadrons:
• Valen Rudor (13)
• Ciena Ree (17)
• 2 x TIE Bomber Squadron (18)
= 48 Points

Total Points: 398

Really the key is to make tokens more valuable in your fleet build. Though this generally starts to make things even more expensive, but incressing the power/value of the tokens is really key to any Tarkin. I think you can build a good Tarkin list, but I'm not sure it will be top tier If Tarkin was in the low 30s to up 20s he might become good he just needs more things that make tokens good, and thats upgrades so even being able to fit one or two more upgrades would be great for Tarkin.

I prefer Tarkin as my commander in most instances. As the game is a game of prediction and planning, Tarkin is perfect for this if you fly your ships using formations. IE: My Arquitens cover the left flank and funnel enemies into the front arc of the Victory/Gladiator. Tarkin allows for big set ups with firing, quick repair work while not dedicating a dial to it, and sometimes commanding squadrons.

Here is my latest Tarkin build, it still has some areas for tweeking but it is a fun list.  Just be prepared to spend a couple minutes at the beginning of the ship phase.

Tarkin Trap 3 

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Grand Moff Tarkin

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Fleet Ambush
Navigation Objective: Minefields

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
 Sovereign  ( 4  points) 
-  Minister Tua  ( 2  points) 
-  Darth Vader  ( 3  points) 
-  Early Warning System  ( 7  points) 
-  Spinal Armament  ( 9  points) 
-  Intensify Firepower!  ( 6  points) 
= 143 total ship cost

Raider I-Class Corvette (44 points)
 Impetuous  ( 4  points) 
-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
= 55 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Imperial Star Destroyer Kuat Refit (112 points)
-  Grand Moff Tarkin  ( 38  points) 
 Chimaera  ( 4  points) 
-  Strategic Adviser  ( 4  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  Early Warning System  ( 7  points) 
-  Ordnance Pods  ( 3  points) 
-  Entrapment Formation!  ( 5  points) 
= 177 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

I have tried getting something going with this:

Charming to the last 
Author: Akhrin

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Grand Moff Tarkin

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
 Centicore  ( 3  points) 
-  Dual Turbolaser Turrets  ( 5  points) 
= 62 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 points)
-  Dual Turbolaser Turrets  ( 5  points) 
= 59 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Grand Moff Tarkin  ( 38  points) 
 Sovereign  ( 4  points) 
-  Captain Brunson  ( 5  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 183 total ship cost

1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points) 
1 Valen Rudor ( 13 points) 
1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points) 
1 Maarek Stele ( 21 points) 
= 71 total squadron cost

Card view link

Fleet created with Armada Warlords

It was usable, though not great. The squads are a good nuisance that can hang round near Centicore and be pushed by the Gozanti, while it uses its free token to either change it's own speed or Comms Net it over elsewhere. Sovereign lets me mix up what tokens I'm getting, and the Arqs (though they would benefit from TRCs) get a couple of re-rolls with CF tokens and DTTs. Lets them stack Nav commands which they want, and they're budget so can rely on them throwing a bundle of dice in an attempt to trade up points.

The Imp 2 is a nice big tanky anvil that can build up a farm of tokens to adapt to whatever situation it finds itself in. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, Mad Cat said:

400/400 Opening Salvo, Planetary Ion Cannon, Solar Corona
ISD-Cymoon, Tarkin, Sovereign, Intensify Fire, Gunnery Teams, DTT, SADviser 176
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
Arquitens CL, TRC 61
Arquitens CL, TRC Needa 63
Valen, Ciena, Black squadron 39

Soverign gives out CF or Nav or Repair tokens as needed whilst banking a CF for itself to activate IF. 

In combat the Arquitens would CF to get to 4 red dice and TRC and IF account for two of them. Tarkin gives a reroll so I found I often didn't need the reroll and it was wasted. Perhaps a Jerjerrod version of the list would be better replacing Tarkin, and Sovereign with Moff-JJ and a comms net flotilla. 6 points freed up replacing Cienna with a normal TIE-Int. 

In 800 point lists however Tarkin/Sovereign is very flexible and well worth the points. 

I do think this list is seeing the same thing I'd found; Arquitens are a fair choice with Tarkin. And you're right, at a higher point Sector Fleet game he'll benefit more.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:08 AM, thestag said:

I loved playing with Tarkin

826.png

Thanks, everyone! Again, I have really great information I use as a baseline from some great websites, but I really appreciate the input here.

I know that, overall, the community finds him just too expensive to play competitively when there are so many other more competitive options. It really comes back to what Dras said: I'm paying a lot, and unless I've got a machine in place that makes it worthwhile, why am I paying so much to make it work in the first place? As someone who is an experienced player, but not a great one, I really appreciate his flexibility. Not so much to cover my errors, but to give me more options from round to round. Especially with Sovereign.

Allwings: I really enjoy dropping to zero speed, actually, so I'm with you! Honestly, even now. It's not feasible in every match, and not always the right move. But it's kept me out of firing range unexpectedly because with the build I'm currently running, I can easily swing a 2 speed change every turn. I'm still trying to make sure I'm using it effectively and not just using it in order to convince myself I've built something that's worthwhile.

A lot of you have suggested using Arquitens, and as a Rebel player up until Nova last year, I really love the **** out of them! But honestly, each time I use them, I'm disappointed in them. Well, not specifically the ships. I know they can do work. I just don't like the way I tend to build them. "But dude, then just change the way you build them, you dope!" Yeah, I know. I've just sort of moved on from them at the moment, I think. Between them and the Cymoon, too many red dice for me at this point. I love red dice, but they are fickle (as we all know).

Anyway, again, thanks all so much for your great input! I'm really appreciative of y'all taking the time. I'd like to have something solid to field for GenCon, and this all helps me make headway.

1 hour ago, Irate Pooka said:

Between them and the Cymoon, too many red dice for me at this point. I love red dice, but they are fickle (as we all know).

I've also found this to be the case, however, because I fly in formations I've also found players spend more defense tokens on 2-6 batteries on Arquitens than they will for a single VSD. It then lets me set up to roll in the VSD or other heavier hitter that also makes them expend their tokens.

Either they take the damage from 2 or 3 Arquitens, or they take the damage from a Gladiator or Victory. One group sets up for the other.

Edited by Ling27
Words