Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Thrawn Treason, new novel July 23

8 hours ago, Alzer said:

Doesn't save anyone scrolling casually from hitting them.

Seriously, those are the most minimal spoilers I've ever seen - if I'd posted them, I wouldn't even have had the spoiler line, they are just amusing trivia about the novel and that's all.

Posted (edited)

Finally finished the book. Now I can read you post @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

On 7/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

The Steadfast in the novel is a Chiss Ascendancy ship and not an Imperial design.  It’s the same ship depicted in the epilogue of comic adaptation of the first novel. 

I don't think it is ever stated that it is the same ship from the first thrawn book/comic but it is in fact a Chiss ship.

Also this is potentially very big: (Spoilers for the ending of Star Wars Rebels)

We learn that at least some of the ships that disappear into hyperspace at the finale of Rebels return to the Empire.

Now this is not stated anywhere out right but if you puzzle several canon sources together you can conclude that. In Thrawn: Treason we are told that Captain Pellaeon commands the ISD Harbinger and that he and the ship join Thrawn for the finale of Rebels. This is where Thrawn and all his ISDs, including the Harbinger, disappear into Hyperspace. Never to heard of again. Except for the canon comic book "Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger" where Luke, Leia and the crew capture the ISD Harbinger. The finale of Rebels takes place before ANH and Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger takes place after ANH. So somewhere in-between the Harbinger must return to the Empire.

PS: how do you use the spoiler tag? It is no in the text formatting menu. 

Edited by LordCola

2 hours ago, LordCola said:

@GhostofNobodyInParticular But how do I end the Spoiler tag again? When I set a "["Spoiler"]" the rest of my post is inside that spoiler block. How can I continue writing after and outside a spoiler tag? Repeating "["Spoiler"]" or writing "["/Spoiler"]" doesn't work.

Above, I tried [ Spoiler ] some text [ /Spoiler ] some text. It seems to work:

in spoiler tags

out of tags.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:
2 hours ago, LordCola said:

@GhostofNobodyInParticular But how do I end the Spoiler tag again? When I set a "["Spoiler"]" the rest of my post is inside that spoiler block. How can I continue writing after and outside a spoiler tag? Repeating "["Spoiler"]" or writing "["/Spoiler"]" doesn't work.

Above, I tried [ Spoiler ] some text [ /Spoiler ] some text. It seems to work:

Reveal hidden contents

in spoiler tags

out of tags.

What?! I just tried to edit my post again. This does not work.

This is what I tried:

Finally finished the book. Now I can read you post @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

[Spoiler]

The Steadfast  in the novel is a Chiss Ascendancy ship and not an Imperial design.  It’s the same ship depicted in the epilogue of comic adaptation of the first novel. 

I don't think it is ever stated that it is the same ship from the first thrawn book/comic but it is in fact a Chiss ship.

[/Spoiler]

Also this is potentially very big: (Spoilers for the ending of Star Wars Rebels)

[Spoiler]

We learn that at least some of the ships that disappear into hyperspace at the finale of Rebels return to the Empire.Now this is not stated anywhere out right but if you puzzle several canon sources together you can conclude that. In Thrawn: Treason we are told that Captain Pellaeon commands the ISD Harbinger and that he and the ship join Thrawn for the finale of Rebels. This is where Thrawn and all his ISDs, including the Harbinger, disappear into Hyperspace. Never to heard of again. Except for the canon comic book "Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger" where Luke, Leia and the crew capture the ISD Harbinger. The finale of Rebels takes place before ANH and Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger takes place after ANH. So somewhere in-between the Harbinger must return to the Empire.

[/Spoiler]

This is what came out:

The Steadfast in the novel is a Chiss Ascendancy ship and not an Imperial design.  It’s the same ship depicted in the epilogue of comic adaptation of the first novel. 

We learn that at least some of the ships that disappear into hyperspace at the finale of Rebels return to the Empire.

Now this is not stated anywhere out right but if you puzzle several canon sources together you can conclude that. In Thrawn: Treason we are told that Captain Pellaeon commands the ISD Harbinger and that he and the ship join Thrawn for the finale of Rebels. This is where Thrawn and all his ISDs, including the Harbinger, disappear into Hyperspace. Never to heard of again. Except for the canon comic book "Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger" where Luke, Leia and the crew capture the ISD Harbinger. The finale of Rebels takes place before ANH and Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger takes place after ANH. So somewhere in-between the Harbinger must return to the Empire.

One big spoiler tag that does not end and then the second one within it even though it should be outside.

Edited by LordCola

5 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

@LordCola try to have the tags on the same line as the text. Do you do any code? If so, imagine nested IF statements. The first and last [ Spoiler ] [/ Spoiler ] tags are the first and last parentheses, and thus enclose anything withing them.

I am literally studying computer science at University. This should not be this difficult xD

But also your suggestion does not work. I want the contend of my Spoiler tag to start with a quote but you can't write in the same line as a quote block. So it is literally impossible to have the spoiler tag open in the same line as what I want to write in the spoiler tag.

5 hours ago, LordCola said:

Of course, that's the only possible explanation.

9b3fc05dd18b831e2921e1e9bf9e733c.jpg

:ph34r:

16 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Of course, that's the only possible explanation.

9b3fc05dd18b831e2921e1e9bf9e733c.jpg

So first of all, all of those ships had a different name. The names were often short handed to just Enterprise but technically they all had different names like Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E... (At least all Enterprises I know. I am not very dep into Star Trek) and secondly all those ships were a different class of ship, Galaxy class, Sovereign class...

In our case you have two ships, both Imperial class 1 Star destroyers with exactly the same name Harbinger. No addition to separate them. There is no additional ship identification scheme like serial numbers in the Empire known to me. So There would literally no way to tell those ships apart. Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid.

But I have to admit that my post was not meant to be 100% serious. Ultimately I thing this was an oversight on whoever approved those names. But still my explanation for the current situation is the most sensible, if you look at it from afar. I mean are two references to ships of the same class with the same name from the same faction only years (at most) apart with no further way of differentiation them referring to the same ship or would there be two different but indistinguishable ships? 

Posted (edited)

Testing:

Inside

1 hour ago, LordCola said:

I am literally studying computer science at University. This should not be this difficult xD

But also your suggestion does not work. I want the contend of my Spoiler tag to start with a quote but you can't write in the same line as a quote block. So it is literally impossible to have the spoiler tag open in the same line as what I want to write in the spoiler tag.

Outside

inside

@LordCola I think the simplest work around is to make two separate spoiler tags on two separate lines, as I have done above, and then drag and drop the quote into it.

Also, sorry everybody for derailing the thread. . .

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

7 hours ago, LordCola said:

Assuming:

Multiple ISDs didn't happen to be named the Harbinger.

The Empire didn't attempt a coverup of the events over Lothal by renaming ISDs to replace missing ships.

The Harbinger was present over Lothal at all. 

It's depicted as actually being part of the Third fleet in

Treason, even if Pellaeon himself makes a cameo in Rebels.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The Empire didn't attempt a coverup of the events over Lothal by renaming ISDs to replace missing ships.

I suppose this would also be a good explanation 👍

7 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The Harbinger was present over Lothal at all. 

It is. The book states that Captain Pellaeon with the Harbinger is to join Thrawn on Lothal.

Though of course it is possible, though unlikely, that in the very short time between the ende of Treason and the finale of Rebels the Harbinger was reassigned to some other fleet, some commander of a 7th ISD was reassigned and Captain Pellaeon was reassigned to command that different ISD.

Edited by LordCola

13 hours ago, LordCola said:

So first of all, all of those ships had a different name. The names were often short handed to just Enterprise but technically they all had different names like Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E... (At least all Enterprises I know. I am not very dep into Star Trek) and secondly all those ships were a different class of ship, Galaxy class, Sovereign class...

In our case you have two ships, both Imperial class 1 Star destroyers with exactly the same name Harbinger. No addition to separate them. There is no additional ship identification scheme like serial numbers in the Empire known to me. So There would literally no way to tell those ships apart. Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid.

But I have to admit that my post was not meant to be 100% serious. Ultimately I thing this was an oversight on whoever approved those names. But still my explanation for the current situation is the most sensible, if you look at it from afar. I mean are two references to ships of the same class with the same name from the same faction only years (at most) apart with no further way of differentiation them referring to the same ship or would there be two different but indistinguishable ships? 

The Enterprises share the same name; they have different registries: 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B, etc. In Star Trek there is also the case of the Defiant, which was destroyed in battle. The Defiant class ship U.S.S. São Paulo was rechristened to U.S.S. Defiant after the first ship’s loss. They even changed the registry back to the first ship, (though this was likely done to reuse FX shots and models)

There have been 7 ships in the U.S. navy that have shared the name Enterprise, the last two carriers: CV-6, CVN-65, and the upcoming 8th: CVN-80 have different registries to distinguish them. 

Enterprise is an auspicious name in the U.S. navy. Harbinger could be an equally important name to the empire, and once one is gone another ship could be given then name. Since they don’t use registry numbers it would be very difficult to tell them apart. 

Posted (edited)

stop right here if you love it and dont want dissent.

one of the most boring, dull SW books I have ever read, and I read pretty all of them, old and new. even the writing style, I dont know, so forced and artificial.

awful stereotypes, thrawn reduced to a „tactical know it all before you do and do not tire of pulling it out your own nose“. 

of course (or better: I assume) Zahn is not free anymore to create epic arcs, having to wedge the story in between animated series episodes. and so these books are not more than a lengthy description of a single operation.

truly feels forced, compared to the original trilogy. a lot of demands tugging at Zahn I guess.

The political part, the wider galaxy? Absolutely nothing new and/or intriguing. So Palp will have a long, long conversation with Thrawn!? Oh wow, I cant wait for it (other than Rebels already decided this talk wont happen). 

purely subjective opinion o.c., happy for you if you are happy. The upcoming Armada expansions make up for all this 1000 fold.

Edited by NebulonB

3 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Enterprise is an auspicious name in the U.S. navy. Harbinger could be an equally important name to the empire, and once one is gone another ship could be given then name. Since they don’t use registry numbers it would be very difficult to tell them apart. 

Well...they probably do, it's just never been important enough to any story to mention them.

It'd be a bit surprising if they didn't, honestly, although I suppose given the (mentioned in another thread) parallels to the age of sail for how ships were deployed/used in this setting...maybe they don't.  (Obviously ships in that period weren't given registry numbers - this was a practice that became commonplace during the age of steam/industrial revolution, when things started becoming 'mass produced' in purer copies of each other, vs the earlier wooden ships that tended to be more 'hand crafted' and have quite wild variations, even within a single "class".)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NebulonB said:

stop right here if you love it and dont want dissent.

one of the most boring, dull SW books I have ever read, and I read pretty all of them, old and new. even the writing style, I dont know, so forced and artificial.

awful stereotypes, thrawn reduced to a „tactical know it all before you do and do not tire of pulling it out your own nose“. 

of course (or better: I assume) Zahn is not free anymore to create epic arcs, having to wedge the story in between animated series episodes. and so these books are not more than a lengthy description of a single operation.

truly feels forced, compared to the original trilogy. a lot of demands tugging at Zahn I guess.

The political part, the wider galaxy? Absolutely nothing new and/or intriguing. So Palp will have a long, long conversation with Thrawn!? Oh wow, I cant wait for it (other than Rebels already decided this talk wont happen). 

purely subjective opinion o.c., happy for you if you are happy. The upcoming Armada expansions make up for all this 1000 fold.

It sometimes felt like reading Sherlock Holmes.  And I think that's because we never truly look inside Thrawn's head, which makes him the subject of the book more than one of the characters (Ronan, Faro, Savit.)  Unless his mechanical analysis of body language counts.  Aside from wondering how things would unravel this time, I most enjoyed the scenes without Thrawn in them (how could we piece each mystery together without knowing the rules?  I don't know what a triad is, and Thrawn shouldn't know there isn't a fourth ship carrying the pole instead of the warship they're looking for.  And sometimes even rational explanations don't match reality.)

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Question - I've heard strongly mixed things about the second book in the series.  How important is it to following the third?  It almost sounds like it isn't - just establishing background and such, that doesn't necessarily tie directly in?

IE., can you jump from 1 to 3, without reading 2?

6 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Question - I've heard strongly mixed things about the second book in the series.  How important is it to following the third?  It almost sounds like it isn't - just establishing background and such, that doesn't necessarily tie directly in?

IE., can you jump from 1 to 3, without reading 2?

You do miss a bit of stuff that’s re referenced and re used going forward.  You’d probably figure stuff out, but it’s not as good as knowing.

Also of you've not watched the last season of Rebels you can also be a little bit offside too.