Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Thrawn Treason, new novel July 23

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:59 AM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

*oof*

I like the audiobook  narrator's Thrawn voice - it's quite a good recreation of how he sounds on the TV show, and made the first Thrawn novel a quite enjoyable listen.  Indeed, his Arihnda Pryce was also solid, and he does a passable Tarkin and Emperor.  And the original characters were all fantastic!  He's a decent enough voice actor - in places, it ALMOST sounded like a 'full cast' production.  It's not - just the one guy - but he did the voices well, and with the music and sound effects, it worked overall to make for an extremely enjoyable experience (definitely I do recommend the audiobook for that first 'Thrawn' novel).

But in this clip?  *ouch* - that does not sound like Krennic AT.  ALL.  Like...did you not even see 'Rogue One', brah?

Edited by xanderf

Posted (edited)

So, the new excerpt talks about a ship manned by Chiss, the Steadfast. Acording to wookipeedia there is already a ship called Steadfast, it is a Venator SD. Do you think the Chiss Ascendancy has access to old imperial ship, or even stole them, or do you think this is just a new Chiss ship that shares the same name as this Venator?

It is probably a new ship, I don't recall 

green- and blue-rimmed compartment doors

on Venators but painting them is possible I guess. Also they use the Chiss Skywalkers for navigation and a Venator would come with functioning Hyperspace Navigation Systems. But then again those Navigation Systems won't be of much use in the unknown regions.

It would certainly be much more interesting if it was indeed a Venator SD.

Edit: Though Steadfast does seem like an unusual name for a Chiss ship.

Edited by LordCola

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, LordCola said:

So, the new excerpt talks about a ship manned by Chiss, the Steadfast. Acording to wookipeedia there is already a ship called Steadfast, it is a Venator SD. Do you think the Chiss Ascendancy has access to old imperial ship, or even stole them, or do you think this is just a new Chiss ship that shares the same name as this Venator?

It is probably a new ship, I don't recall.

It would certainly be much more interesting if it was indeed a Venator SD.

Edit: Though Steadfast does seem like an unusual name for a Chiss ship.

@LordCola  did you note the shape of the view ports behind Admiral Ar’alani and Eli Vanto.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@LordCola  did you note the shape of the view ports behind Admiral Ar’alani and Eli Vanto

You are talking about the poster, right? This didn't even cross my mind. I thought they would just be on board of an ISD, probably the Chimera. But after some quick googleing it turns out that the viewport of a Venator and an ISD are virtually indistinguishable. So the poster might very well be set on the Steadfast Venator SD.

Edited by LordCola

12 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Victory Star Destroyers get so little love in the new scope of the franchise that I hope we don't see a Venator, and instead see the VSDs come back.

I missed out on Thrawn: Alliances... wonder if it's required reading before jumping to Treason.

It's built as a trilogy so I think it would be a good idea. It's not a great book but it might be worth a read. 

I really like Thrawn at original Zahn trilogy ( by the way thanks to the users of Armada forum that convinced me to read them) but with the new books, I feel like he is presented in a more typecast fashion. In the original Zahn trilogy, the way he was interested at adversaries art work was intriguing and revealed complexity of his character, yet in the new novels it feels like it is a gimmick. 

Please dont get angry with me for saying this, I like the books and definitely going to read the third book by next sunday however I hope Thrawn's genius is presented in a more genuine way this time.

also, @Crabbok should do the audiobook. I really liked his narration when he read an excerpt from the previous book :)

FWIW, I'd be very interested in a re-write of the original Thrawn trilogy to match new canon.  I'd have to re-read them to check, but off the top of my head I don't think anything directly contradicts badly enough it can't be patched in.  Obviously the nature and reason for some things changes (the whole arc on what forces were IN the Clone Wars...needs tweaking).  Obviously Han and Leia's first kid is renamed Ben instead of the twins Jacen and Jaina, but that makes no difference to the story I can remember.  Nobody important to the sequel trilogy dies in these, nothing really significantly changes at the galactic level that would create a problem for the sequel trilogy, etc.

MOST of the new canon material is coming out closer to the sequel movies themselves, which would be 28 or so years after the Thrawn trilogy was set, so you could get a lot of opportunities to show teasers of the new characters in them (maybe even drop a reference to Snoke, to explain where he comes from vs out of nowhere)

12 hours ago, LostFleet said:

I really like Thrawn at original Zahn trilogy ( by the way thanks to the users of Armada forum that convinced me to read them) but with the new books, I feel like he is presented in a more typecast fashion. In the original Zahn trilogy, the way he was interested at adversaries art work was intriguing and revealed complexity of his character, yet in the new novels it feels like it is a gimmick. 

I didn’t love the second new book either. The time jump back and forth got a bit irritating and the whole chiss Skywalkers thing was a bit hokey.

Minor spoilers for the novel  

@LordCola

The Steadfast in the novel is a Chiss Ascendancy ship and not an Imperial design.  It’s the same ship depicted in the epilogue of comic adaptation of the first novel. 

It’s Canon again that there are twelve Grand Admirals in The Empire.  

With this book,   a Moff I named for West End Games becomes Disney Canon.   Same name, but he is a now a she.   😂   She is still controls the same Sector. 

Grand Moff Tarkin, Director Krennic and Captain Pellaeon have roles in this novel. 

The final scene in the book leads to the Rebels series finale but not past that in the timeline.

26 minutes ago, Thalomen said:

He did say “minor spoilers” on the very first line of his post.

Doesn't save anyone scrolling casually from hitting them.