Sign in to follow this  
ImperialOfficer

Learn to Play Lists.

So my 10 year old nephew and 8 year old daughter both want to play xwing.  

I'm looking at lists to let them learn on.  

I'm thinking of doing 4 T-70's with Heroic for one lists.  It's fun, simple actions, and just aim and shoot.  

Trying to come up with a counter list to run against it. 

Any ideas would help. 

1 hour ago, ImperialOfficer said:

So my 10 year old nephew and 8 year old daughter both want to play xwing.  

I'm looking at lists to let them learn on.  

I'm thinking of doing 4 T-70's with Heroic for one lists.  It's fun, simple actions, and just aim and shoot.  

Trying to come up with a counter list to run against it. 

Any ideas would help. 

I'd go with no upgrades and pilots without abilities to start them out. 2 T-70s on 4 F/O TIEs or something. Make the T-70s the same initiative and give two different for the TIEs and different from the X-wings. TIEs move, X-wings move, TIEs again. Maybe set it up for them so that you have one X-wing on the low I TIES and one on the high I TIEs. 

See how they do with just the basic basics then complicate it up with S-foils and BB-8 and change a generic TIE for an ACE with an ability.

If they do okay with that, give them Poe and Kylo and a more complete 200 point game. 

Just now, ImperialOfficer said:

Thanks Frimmel, I appreciate it.  I hadn't really thought of starting with small squads.  That helps. 

You don't want to talk down to them too much and the game doesn't work right if you dumb it down too much but 8 and 10 is still at the not quite ready for the whole thing part depending on the kids. Still use rocks though. And maybe set a turn count on them. Give them a chance to play but keep it from getting drug out. Then have them switch sides. 

I'd agree with smaller starting games. The starter set felt a bit small and swingey but 2 vs 4 makes for nice games. Consider looking at the old scenarios (just double the allowed points) if you want to try something simple and fun.

If you want a nice, simple squad that 'feels' movie-appropriate, consider the following:

• Blue Squadron Rookie x 4
    • Integrated S-foils
    • R2 Astromech

(Simple, very tough X-wings that can recover shields if they survive a turn of fire and run away)

versus

• Epsilon Squadron Cadet x 6
    • Pattern Analyser

(Simple, very manoeuvrable TIE fighters who can pull turns and loops and keep fighting at full effect)

Both sides are entirely I1, so no-one gets killed without getting to shoot back, the X-wings take a ridiculous amount of killing with 2-dice primaries and the TIE fighters feel as zippy as they should do. With every ship on each side being identical, there's comparatively few moving parts to remember (the squad doesn't suffer that much if you leave the S-foils configuration off for the first game).