punkUser

I tested my dice...

11 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

What a useful answer, 10/10! Gave me exactly what I sought!

If you're going to reply with that, don't reply at all.

Pick your best rolling 5 dice. Heck, pick six. I take six, I think they're pretty lucky, but it's hard to get six truly lucky ones. 

But I also just share dice for all my games except for when my opponent doesn't agree to. 

33 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Pick your best rolling 5 dice. Heck, pick six. I take six, I think they're pretty lucky, but it's hard to get six truly lucky ones. 

But I also just share dice for all my games except for when my opponent doesn't agree to. 

See now there's a genuinely decent answer with compromise. Thanks Blail.

4 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

See now there's a genuinely decent answer with compromise. Thanks Blail.

People I've seen be competitive will take 4 dice only, or 5 dice. And they have said they picked their most "lucky" ones by gut instinct.

(They still blame their dice though. They still blame their dice when they lose when we share THEIR dice too, just less often because that's so immature-ly cringe-y)

--

Personally my dice hit good imo. But I also know the fundamental of Xwing rule #1: never engage without focus. 

People who tend to blame their own shared dice... don't understand that rule. 

I would say "willingly", but then people who don't understand it would believe they understand it. People who do understand it know where the caveat is without it being said at all. 

5 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

People I've seen be competitive will take 4 dice only, or 5 dice. And they have said they picked their most "lucky" ones by gut instinct.

(They still blame their dice though. They still blame their dice when they lose when we share THEIR dice too, just less often because that's so immature-ly cringe-y)

--

Personally my dice hit good imo. But I also know the fundamental of X-wing rule #1: never engage without focus. 

People who tend to blame their own shared dice... don't understand that rule. 

I would say "willingly", but then people who don't understand it would believe they understand it. People who do understand it know where the caveat is without it being said at all. 

Dude big yes. That's such an important rule. My biggest rule is, "If you can focus, focus. If you can Focus and do something else and focus, do that. If you're in anything's arc, won't be in an arc and KNOW it, don't focus. Do something else."

Sound about right?

Unless you're Poe.

Always TL+Focus (and with Leia, either boost or reinforce. Triple Action Poe to the frakking rescue my dude.)

Edited by Captain Lackwit

I didn't read this entire thread, but I recently started studying Kai testing for dice after my Poly's got my PC killed in D&D5E.

So I started Kai testing my X-Wing dice and found that my biggest failure in being successful at X-Wing were my dice.

For about two years, I'd lose consistently as my dice rolled an endless series of blanks while my opponents consistently rolled an amazing series of hits and evades.

To my advantage I picked up 3-4 X-Wing dice sets so I had quite a few dice to sort through.  (During late X-Wing 1.0 era I was meeting people fed up with the game and they were literally giving me entire collections . . .) 

And my personal Kai testing found that I only had about 5 attack dice and 6 defense dice that roll well while 75% of my dice were suicidal.

The other thing that I did was to have my son (a recent engineering school graduate) evaluate my results and my "lucky" dice still yield results within the margins of standard deviation.

And yeah.  I'm now able to fly against the local opponents with parity.  

Now, if I can only get my tactical skills up to speed, I should be able to win once in a while.

7 hours ago, Mark Caliber said:

I didn't read this entire thread, but I recently started studying Kai testing for dice after my Poly's got my PC killed in D&D5E.

So I started Kai testing my X-Wing dice and found that my biggest failure in being successful at X-Wing were my dice.

For about two years, I'd lose consistently as my dice rolled an endless series of blanks while my opponents consistently rolled an amazing series of hits and evades.

To my advantage I picked up 3-4 X-Wing dice sets so I had quite a few dice to sort through.  (During late X-Wing 1.0 era I was meeting people fed up with the game and they were literally giving me entire collections . . .) 

And my personal Kai testing found that I only had about 5 attack dice and 6 defense dice that roll well while 75% of my dice were suicidal.

The other thing that I did was to have my son (a recent engineering school graduate) evaluate my results and my "lucky" dice still yield results within the margins of standard deviation.

And yeah.  I'm now able to fly against the local opponents with parity.  

Now, if I can only get my tactical skills up to speed, I should be able to win once in a while.

Dice being an issue is a real problem, and I'm glad we're actually looking at it these days. Happy to hear you've finally gotten a better set of dice.

UPDATE TIME! I'll bet you guys never thought this thread was going to get necro'd, but a few minor updates to share.

First, I redesigned the dice roller a bit to be more reliable (using a stepper motor primarily) and to do a better job keeping heavier dice tumbling nicely... the latter of which is so that I could test the new Gravity Dice X-Wing metal dice. Spoiler: they're fantastic and consistently fair! I also tested a pile more FFG core set dice (total of 20 of each color now).

All of that is integrated into the document in various sections:

I also made a graph of the official X-Wing red dice I've tested including the new Gravity Dice:
graph.png

Suffice it to say, I'm impressed! They're not cheap, but at least there's a high quality option now for X-Wing dice.

Now we just need to get FFG to allow them in official tournaments... or better, official metal prize dice! That would actually be a *real* prize worth earning/paying for vs. the current palette-swapped-but-still-bad prize dice :(

Anyways hope the update is interesting to folks. I'm done testing all the X-Wing stuff I can think of for now, but given that the v2 dice roller is working great I'm tempted to test some Chessex D6's now and see how the Warhammer crowd feels about whatever results ;)

Awesome!

It won't fix the victory dice pools people are building, but it's really cool to see gravity dice proving themselves.  I've seen a couple of people pick those up and they're really nice.

That jagged-edged tumbler is a very cool idea!  Is it just 3D-Printed?  If so, I know a few people who would be interested in the files... if that's okay.

19 minutes ago, Wazat said:

That jagged-edged tumbler is a very cool idea!  Is it just 3D-Printed?  If so, I know a few people who would be interested in the files... if that's okay.

Yep, just 3d printed! I had to chop it into a zillion pieces because my 3d printer is small, but a larger 3d printer could do an entire compartment at a time. Happy to share the files as they are all pretty simple and just on TinkerCad:

There's a picture in the updated document that shows the completed roller box; should be pretty clear how it all goes together as it's not that complicated.

Hope that helps!

Since reading the initial article I pretty much tried to play all my games using a shared dice pool.  And I have felt much happier with the game overall. Never blaming dice just makes a more pleasurable experience. 

But I can't find what the official rules say about sharing dice.

If I ask my opponent if we can share dice, he/she can still refuse right?   

And if I ask, and my opponent agrees, they get to choose which dice we use?

47 minutes ago, Bort said:

Since reading the initial article I pretty much tried to play all my games using a shared dice pool.  And I have felt much happier with the game overall. Never blaming dice just makes a more pleasurable experience. 

Me too. Psychologically, being able to leave the previous game's dice and their results behind makes the day better.

A player can refuse to let you use his/her dice, but you can insist on sharing yours instead, but that's likely to sour the game so I wouldn't push it myself. The TO would have final say.

I've had one player arrive in a grumpy mood and so not asked them and just used my own. He got less grumpy as we played, fortunately.

14 hours ago, Bort said:

the player that was asked chooses which player's dice to use (their own, or yours).

If they don't want to share, they have to call a marshal and explain why they can't share dice.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:09 AM, Bort said:

The two instances in which I used shared dice pools both resulted in lopsided rolls for my opponent (and suspiciously so). It's anecdotal and almost certainly unreasonable, but if you asked me to share dice at this point, I'd have to respectfully decline.

It's as reasonable as me telling my opponents that I'm fine with a shared pool but I recommend them not using my sparklies because they "roll bad" for other people.

It's confirmation bias at play and anecdotal at best, but rational it is not. 

As long as you're fine with that knowledge, you do you! 

Guys I made a thread with actual content and work, something which is perhaps rare in these parts... may I respectfully "request" that we keep the dice sharing rules discussion to another thread at this point since there's nothing more useful to be said that hasn't already been discussed?

4 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

Where is this stated in the rules?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/d1/88/d1884752-34e1-4ad6-a992-824f41694a03/x-wing_20_tournament_regulations_printer_friendly.pdf

Sharing Components (Page 4):

Before or during a tournament round, any player may request that a single range ruler, or set of range rulers, a set of maneuver templates, and/or set of dice be shared for the duration of the round. Any decisions are subject to review by a marshal.

Legal Products and Substitutions (page 4):

...If a player uses the Star Wars™ Dice App, the device with the app must be displayed in full view of both players at all times, and the opponent may request to share the app.

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

It isn't. Their assumption comes from a tyrannical interpretation of the word "request" and not wanting the onus to contact the marshal to be on themselves when they make said request.

I mean, it just depends if you think FFG decided to let players know a partial universe of optional requests, or simply using the american vernacular of a requirement in the politely veiled "request".

Given this is a tournament regulations document, and the word "share" comes up 6 times, it seems more likely that it is not actually a "request" rather than a notification by FFG to players what their rights are.

Lost and Damaged Components (page 4)

• Damaged Dice, Range Ruler, or Maneuver Template: The player keeps the original component near the rest of their squad and requests to share the opponent’s component for each remaining round of the tournament.

Game Setup (page 5)

3. ...Players cannot share a damage deck.

1 minute ago, PanchoX1 said:

I'm well aware of all the rules you quoted above. I was asking where this section existed: "If they don't want to share, they have to call a marshal and explain why they can't share dice. "

doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

🤷‍♀️
Ok.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, RunnerAZ said:

I prefer to put a little olive oil in the water, since it keeps the dice from sticking.  That way it's easier to mix it with the pasta sauce later.

I missed this earlier, and it's Kelthuzzad-level necromancy, but most chefs and food scientists will suggest not putting oil in pasta water, as an oil slick on the noodles can prevent sauce from adhering later.

5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I missed this earlier, and it's Kelthuzzad-level necromancy, but most chefs and food scientists will suggest not putting oil in pasta water, as an oil slick on the noodles can prevent sauce from adhering later.

Not the worst necro I have seen on here. And you are correct, sauce stays behind when you pick up the noodles if the water is oiled.