Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BowelEvacuation

Way of the Crab - cumbersome weapons?

Recommended Posts

 

Core rulebook states that WotC ignores Cumbersome Armor. The Shadowlands book on p.53 describes a Hida character ability as "as a Hida, Kotoe ignores the cumbersome quality of any armor she wears or weapons she uses." This seems to imply that the school ability should be including weapons for PC Hida characters as well. 

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the named special abilities of NPCs that match those available to PCs aren't quite the same.  E.g., the Skillful Ronin's "Striking as Fire" technique adds 2 deadliness per opportunity spent, whereas the PC kata version only adds 1.  So I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Hida Kotoe writeup implies that PCs' equivalent ability is intended to match hers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you look to all "Hida" NPCs in the new book, all have that same text, "as a Hida... " before any other specific ability they possess. Soo i also have the opinion that it might be an upgrade to the way of the crab ability to Hida family characters.

Edited by Farsiight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Farsiight said:

If you look to all "Hida" NPCs in the new book, all have that same text, "as a Hida... " before any other specific ability they possess. Soo i also have the opinion that it might be an upgrade to the way of the crab ability to Hida family characters.

No, it isn't an upgrade. NPC and PC are two totally different thing in this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

No, it isn't an upgrade. NPC and PC are two totally different thing in this game. 

So if running a Hida with a tetsubo you kind of lose the school ability unless you keep swapping weapons in combat? I might have to house rule that. Seems silly since Hida so commonly use the tetsubo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BowelEvacuation said:

So if running a Hida with a tetsubo you kind of lose the school ability unless you keep swapping weapons in combat? I might have to house rule that. Seems silly since Hida so commonly use the tetsubo.

How do you lose the school ability ? The school ability is meant to help wearing armor.

cumbersome weapon =/= cumbersome armor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BowelEvacuation said:

So if running a Hida with a tetsubo you kind of lose the school ability unless you keep swapping weapons in combat? I might have to house rule that. Seems silly since Hida so commonly use the tetsubo.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. The Cumbersome property doesn't even affect the same type of check in weapons and armours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, JBento said:

I'm not really sure what you mean here. The Cumbersome property doesn't even affect the same type of check in weapons and armours.

Oh i completely missed that the weapon and armor do have different ways of interacting with cumbersome! Thank you this clears it up :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...