Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

Aphra's Ship

I've kind of thought that this was maybe based off of artwork for a capital ship that was never meant to actually land. Kind of like the look of hammerheads or something. Then they shrunk it but didn't bother fixing a pretty obvious flaw.

57 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

I don't recall the ship itself being actually used in the comics.  Are there any hints as to how good it is firepower/defensive/flying wise?

We actually have little idea what kind of armament it has, other than visual cues. Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think it's actually seen space combat in the comics. I'm having trouble finding any artwork of it in a fight online, at least.

Not a whole lot of combat in the comics, the first Ark Angel does get destroyed though so there is an Ark Angel II that has even less page time. Besides 0-0-0 and BT-1 I believe the Wookie bounty hunter Black Krrysstantan (sp?) flies it at some point, although he also has his own Auzituck Gunship as well. 

In any event I’ve been wanting this ship for a long time, if anybody here hasn’t checked out the Dr. Aphra comics I recommend them, a ton of fun, and a lot of cool characters. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 3:56 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

This ships design would probably be a lot less divisive if that nose wasn't so long and was intended to move up and down. They needed to cut that thing in half, and demonstrate that it moves or put it at a less absurd angle, and no one would be all that put off by it. As it is now though it does seem kinda absurd. If gently landing in any open field results in your nose getting smashed then you have failed as a ship designer. I love like 70% of this thing, and the entire 30% I don't like is all that nose. If it weren't for that this would be a pretty cool flying saucer with scary looking guns.

Don't forget were talking about a game where we have ailerons/s-foils working in space

Edited by prauxim

FFG's engineers would have to come up with a market solution for its model.

Probably, shortening a bit the nose, heightening a bit its angle (-45º instead of -90º), and making it folding upwards or retractable for 'flat' landings. Otherwise, this thing is not only not-storable, but also unpackable for selling.

Given that the drawers don't even agree on the thing's shape (One day you see 3 main engines… But sometimes you can count 4... Then, there's is an airlock where sometimes you see auxiliary engines… etc, etc...) it's perfectly possible for FFG to 'innovate' a bit on the design. If Disney allowed FFG to create a whole corvette class from thin air, this shouldn't be too taxing.