Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

Aphra's Ship

The name of “Heavy Duty Lifter” might mean some sort ability with tractor tokens. 

It might end up being the Scum’s counter part to the Ghost and the Decimator. High health, no agi. It seems like it has turrets from some of the pictures, though I could see an argument that it is fore and aft facing guns. 

Probably two crew, though maybe not any gunners. Though as BT-1 is a gunner, it might have one.

Not sure what an Ark Angel title would change about it. Maybe calculate shinnanigans?

7 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Saw a new picture of this thing in Outer Rim.

what will this ship do when it comes to the game? 

image0.jpg

Sit on someone's desk as the pure display piece that it is probably. More seriously (though I honestly despise that artdeco scrap heap): S&V; Large based (might be a Huge ship, I didn't find dimensions for it when I looked awhile back); dial: 2 straight and 1 banks blue, 1 straight, 2 bank and 3 straight white, 2 turns and 3 banks red; 2 bowtie (since we aren't permitted fp 3 turret primaries...); double illicit; 1 crew; 1 gunner; 1 mod; Aphra pilot ability will be some janky thing that people will ***** about loudly because it is "NPE" to their pet aces resulting in a 10+ spike in the cost of the entire chassis...

More seriously, the ship belongs in a dumpster.

1 hour ago, MegaSilver said:

Yeah, her ship has been in the comics for several years now. Please FFG, give it to us soon!

Tie Advanced for scale.

Image result for ark angelImage result for ark angel

Large base definitely. Besides high health/0 agility, I don't know what it could bring of new to the game, though. 

I'm only worried about the shape of the ship. Is the regular large peg high enough for it?

Dang, this ship is so ugly it might actually look good at the table.

5 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Large base definitely. Besides high health/0 agility, I don't know what it could bring of new to the game, though. 

I'm only worried about the shape of the ship. Is the regular large peg high enough for it?

Dang, this ship is so ugly it might actually look good at the table.

Maybe the peg will come out the bottom of the hanging “nose”, similar to the Resistance Bomber?

Would be interesting to see but man, that ship will be a GIANT pain to store and transport. Thought the Ghost, Upsilon, and such was a problem? This laughs at those problems.

For mechanics, I imagine Aphra pilot and/or title will revolve around stress and calculate tokens due to BT-1 and 000. 

And also, Scum.

This thing is so impractical and utterly fugly.

And yes, while Star Wars as space opera has a tendency for weird and zeno/alien designs, there is a border where it gets ridiculous. How is this thing ever supposed to land on flat surfaces, be it the ground or just an ordinary hangar?

Or does it always need either a cliff, an elevated landing pad or be sitting on a huge container which touches the ground first (but not really space for said freight container between downward nose-cone, belly cannons and exhausts)? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Odanan said:

Or an Epic peg, like 2e Ghost.

7 hours ago, Odanan said:

I guess the Lancer already does some tractor mechanics on a large base, but being a "heavy lifter" kind of implies tractors.

*edit*

What if it could tractor Asteroids?  That gives literally zero thought into balance, but is mostly "wouldn't that be cool."

Edited by theBitterFig

17 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

This thing is so impractical and utterly fugly.

And yes, while Star Wars as space opera has a tendency for weird and zeno/alien designs, there is a border where it gets ridiculous. How is this thing ever supposed to land on flat surfaces, be it the ground or just an ordinary hangar?

Or does it always need either a cliff, an elevated landing pad or be sitting on a huge container which touches the ground first (but not really space for said freight container between downward nose-cone, belly cannons and exhausts)? 

Yeah this bugs me about this, and about Paul Bettany's ship in Solo.

Most landing pads aren't shaped like that.

23 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah this bugs me about this, and about Paul Bettany's ship in Solo.

Most landing pads aren't shaped like that.

At least with Paul Bettany's ship, the impracticality was probably part of the point.  Something big and flashy and impressive, to demonstrate wealth, luxury, and power.  But Doctor Aphra is an archaeologist, going wherever the job takes her, and needs to actually *use* her ship.

Are we sure the long hanging fb nose part can't angle up when landing, and all shots/drawings/images so far have been if it landed and with the nose down?

Lots of star wars ships have moving parts that change when landing, the entirety of a Firespray rotates 90 degrees, Lambda wings, YV-666 fins etcetera.

The ship does look overly complex, but I don't hate it.

14 minutes ago, Scrivner said:

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

It is a flying piece of table art with guns that requires either a specially constructed landing pad or a landing pad overhanging a cliff. RoC is one thing, but the Ark Angel's concept art should have been tossed before it reached the initial rough line art stage. The ship is stupid and belongs in a dumpster.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, MegaSilver said:

Yeah, her ship has been in the comics for several years now. Please FFG, give it to us soon!

Tie Advanced for scale.

Image result for ark angelImage result for ark angel

Looks WAAAAY better from the front. Holy crap.

This ships design would probably be a lot less divisive if that nose wasn't so long and was intended to move up and down. They needed to cut that thing in half, and demonstrate that it moves or put it at a less absurd angle, and no one would be all that put off by it. As it is now though it does seem kinda absurd. If gently landing in any open field results in your nose getting smashed then you have failed as a ship designer. I love like 70% of this thing, and the entire 30% I don't like is all that nose. If it weren't for that this would be a pretty cool flying saucer with scary looking guns.