Da_Brown_Bomber

What did 1.0 do better than 2.0?

There is a small number of things that I miss from 1.0, but they really have very little to do with the game itself.  I miss having points and upgrades on cards, but the ability to have FFG tweak those for balance is well worth the tradeoff.  Also, if I’m being honest with myself, I used a squad builder more often than not, so it really is a wash.

I also miss some of my favorite pilots who didn’t make the cut (Tycho and Rebel Ahsoka, for example), but then we got all new factions, so that weighs in favor of 2.0.

Everything else about the game itself is better in 2.0 in my opinion.  I can see all the maneuvers a ship can make without buying dial upgrade kits, 1.0 turrets are gone, absurd levels of passive dice mods are a thing of the past (while some passive dice mods still exist - usually as a finite resource), regen was fixed without being removed, ordinance is good without being overpowered (although some more missiles would be nice), certain upgrades that used to be autoincludes that restricted list building were just removed (looking at you, VI), Resistance and FO became their own factions (now Disney just needs to actually have some space battles with new ships), and of course, what brought me back to the game: Clone Wars factions.

2.0 isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot better than 1.0.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

*snort*

I can just imagine the threads brokering those deals. 

Would never happen. It never did with other games.

The last released points set becomes the definitive, forever lasting, 2.0 points. Stick to them or switch to 3.0 or another game. 

22 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

It never did with other games. 

Well, the Decipher SWCCG has been OOP for almost 2 decades, and yet is alive.

A committee creates new cards that require an existing print card to be used.  So the game has new features with no new cardboard. 

I just sold my old cards for a decent price.   For a "dead" game. 

1.0 allowed you to preorder the amount of ships you needed.. with 2.0 you have to guess and or Waite for the points to drop. or as is the case now pick up some at your local Barnes and nobel but cant play them because the points have NOT dropped on them yet. 1.0 didn't have that problem..

11 minutes ago, BenDay said:

1st ed tokens were better, in that they didn’t pretend to be better but were really the same. Oh and I still use extra munitions tokens instead of charges for my torpedoes. 

I sort of wished they made a separate mechanic for munitions and charges. I think if classic HLC (not the bullseye one) had a charge system it would have been better and more balanced.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, Marinealver said:

If that was the case I am sure the community would just make their own fan point costing. Heck maybe even @MajorJuggler would post something up that is if he wasn't able to sell it to another company.

Someday, eventually, FFG will stop making X-wing expansions. But that will likely not be for a very long time, so this is largely hypothetical.

At that point I'm sure the community will keep the game going for a while. Apps etc wont disappear overnight.

Community balancing would IMO result in a better balanced and more diverse meta game. There is so much data out there now that the greatest difficulty is not figuring good mathematical balance, but the human factor of what "should be good". 

Personally, I think it would be cool if the community came up with their own alternate point costs now, while the game is still live, and actually ran large tournaments with it. But generally there's not a ton of appetite for that because everyone is super focused on FFG format tournament events.