Da_Brown_Bomber

What did 1.0 do better than 2.0?

Posted (edited)

Hand up who has been here since version 1.0, WAVE 1? [i have]

Wave releases were more exciting in 1.0. Why? Lots of reasons.... 1) Points were printed on the cards themselves so you got the points for everything the moment you opened the product. 2) It was possible to play with the new ships on the day of its official release. This meant that you could play the final round of a tournament with new ships that had been released THAT day. I did this in one local tourney after making the top2 with triple firespray squad for imperials. I got to use Chewie in a squad with new rebel ships.

Your turn. What did 1.0 do better than 2.0?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Dude, you just cast SUMMON DARTH MEANIE!!! :D 

I liked the 1.0 dials better, I liked the challenge coins and dice bags, I liked the firespray being available in Empire. That's about all I can think of though, once I saw medium bases I was hooked on 2.0 and it's pretty much been uphill from there. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

1.0 had epic. It was also newer then and 2.0 is still playing catch-up and having communication/distribution issues.

In terms of gameplay quality though, I don't think there's anything 1.0 did better.

good points. they have tidied up the gameplay. thats for sure. 

the app has had a stuttering start. i still miss points on list cards. totally get why they had to go.

points releases could be better timed than they are... part of 2.0 communication issues.

im not blaming FFG for distribution issues, likely some things out of their control.

more timely points updates/releases in sinc with articles could be smoother though right?

yeah... mostly 2.0 is a strict upgrade. The things that are bad with 2.0 are kind of issues with itself: force double mods might be a problem later, the rules are unclean, verbose, and full of exploitive holes. 

Oh wait one: too much use of after you fully execute without the bumping another ship clause. There needs to be ways of stopping shenanigans and combo wing. 

Posted (edited)

Be nice if FFG could smooth out its distribution issues. getn product to stores in a timely manner. not easy with a global product for sure. Made harder by the fact the game has expanded from 3 factions in 1.0. to 7 factions in 2.0.

Turrets!

I love to watch The Galaxy Burn!

:P

Well for now we have to say is Huge ships simply by default. But for me it would have to be the components, especially the ones for scenario and objective play. We had turbolaser/ion blast markers, red and blue mines, cargo pods escape pods and more. Also how the upgrades were rather simple (until the conditions came in) and kept things from being so complex. Ion Weapons in 1st edition were way better too, I don't get the whole Ion weapons here as it seems like they are just a way to make the Y-wing do damage when they should be sacrificing damage for control.

X-Wing 1.0 had Legends ships, which was nice for us grognards who played with (or against) those ships in old games or read about them in old novels. Yes, nostalgia matters. 

And back then, we didn't need to wait 2 years for new ships for the 2 most classic factions (Empire and Rebels).

We had more cannon and missile options (some of them very unbalanced, I admit).  

And finally, I liked the cross faction options for ships.

3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Hand up who has been here since version 1.0, WAVE 1? [i have]

Wave releases were more exciting in 1.0. Why? Lots of reasons.... 1) Points were printed on the cards themselves so you got the points for everything the moment you opened the product. 2) It was possible to play with the new ships on the day of its official release. This meant that you could play the final round of a tournament with new ships that had been released THAT day. I did this in one local tourney after making the top2 with triple firespray squad for imperials. I got to use Chewie in a squad with new rebel ships.

Your turn. What did 1.0 do better than 2.0?

Stop this crap Brown-turd! You are regularly starting anti-2.0 and pro-1.0 threads. GET OVER IT! 1.0 is dead it is not coming back, 2.0 is here and it is glorious, if you dont like it - GET OUT FELICIA!!!!!

Pilot Skill is much worse in 2.0 than it was in 1.0. For all of the griping about how VI was a necessary upgrade if your pilot could take it (and yes, it was), we're now stuck in the much worse alternative universe where VI doesn't exist and so the only viable ace small ship options have Initiative 6. Cool. I can either play with rookie swarms or I can play with a tiny number of aces who see play over and over and over because if you don't use those specific aces you'll never get a single round of shooting thanks to arc dodging. Yay.

1.0 killed itself with the JumpMaster fiasco and never recovered regardless of how many nerfs were later cranked out, and good riddance really, but 2.0 feels like a huge missed opportunity thanks to the decision that only Initiative 6 matters (kind of ironic given that the reason for tightening the range was to cut out the 'dead space' between PS 1 and 9. Except the 'dead space' actually mattered quite a lot due to the presence of VI...).

33 minutes ago, President Jyrgunkarrd said:

Pilot Skill is much worse in 2.0 than it was in 1.0. For all of the griping about how VI was a necessary upgrade if your pilot could take it (and yes, it was), we're now stuck in the much worse alternative universe where VI doesn't exist and so the only viable ace small ship options have Initiative 6. Cool. I can either play with rookie swarms or I can play with a tiny number of aces who see play over and over and over because if you don't use those specific aces you'll never get a single round of shooting thanks to arc dodging. Yay.

1.0 killed itself with the JumpMaster fiasco and never recovered regardless of how many nerfs were later cranked out, and good riddance really, but 2.0 feels like a huge missed opportunity thanks to the decision that only Initiative 6 matters (kind of ironic given that the reason for tightening the range was to cut out the 'dead space' between PS 1 and 9. Except the 'dead space' actually mattered quite a lot due to the presence of VI...).

agree 100 %

In terms of the game itself - nothing significant. I liked the organised play structure better in the 1.0 era - no Extended/Hyperspace split, and a tournament ladder (store champs > regionals > nationals > worlds) that was simple and memorable. Challenge coins were cool too, I'm glad that I was lucky enough to get one before they were discontinued.

2 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

Stop this crap Brown-turd! You are regularly starting anti-2.0 and pro-1.0 threads. GET OVER IT! 1.0 is dead it is not coming back, 2.0 is here and it is glorious, if you dont like it - GET OUT FELICIA!!!!!

I hope this is an ill-sounding joke because its rude, uncalled for and the definition of toxic positivity. 

59 minutes ago, President Jyrgunkarrd said:

Yet, in 2.0 I5 aces have been completely dominating the Ace meta for a long time, and only now starting to see some change due to I6 Anakin, and right now choosing the I3 Seperatist Vulture over the I1 Tradefederation Drone is the very difference between a successful Alpha against drea swarms and the like.

What you are describing is SO FAR from 2.0 meta, that my only question is what rock did you crawl out from under? 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

Yet, in 2.0 I5 aces have been completely dominating the Ace meta for a long time, and only now starting to see some change due to I6 Anakin, and right now choosing the I3 Seperatist Vulture over the I1 Tradefederation Drone is the very difference between a successful Alpha against drea swarms and the like.

What you are describing is SO FAR from 2.0 meta, that my only question is what rock did you crawl out from under? 

Soontir, Vader & Countess are and have always been incredibly oppressive, and solely because of Soontir and Vader's I6. People still build this list at sub-190 points in order to win initiative bids because winning initiative is so crucial.

Yes, there are also fat rebel lists that could care less what the initiative is because they have a completely different game plan that doesn't involve good piloting. ...So what?

It used to be that you could compete against arc dodging with VI. Now you can't, and IMHO the game is much more repetitive & rote because of that.

EDIT: And which lists are 'completely dominating' the meta, anyway? What are the stats for all these top tier I5 lists you mention?

Edited by President Jyrgunkarrd