FriendofYoda

Wave 4 - Barnes and Noble

On 6/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, Archangelspiv said:

Without my FLGS I would be severely limited as to where I can play. For the sake of saving 20? bucks on an order, I will happily shop at my FLGS who gives 10% discount on everything anyway. 

Supporting local stores is good, but it's not something they just automatically deserve, in my book.  I'll support places I frequently play at (since they're not charging me for the space, and they need to keep the lights on somehow), or places that offer good deals and good service.  I remember someone being upset that I ordered a game online, and asking why I didn't purchase it at a particular local store.  I pointed out that they actually priced things 10% over MSRP, and didn't even offer any space to play games.  He replied that places that offer games for less than MSRP tend to go out of business within just a couple years.  (Incidentally, that store went out of business just a couple months later.  Meanwhile a couple of the biggest game stores I know mark stuff 10-15% lower than MSRP, and have been in business for decades, and the one that sells stuff at MSRP makes up for it by having a huge selection and lots of tablespace to play on.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good to support your local stores, but they should be supporting the players too.  They shouldn't rip-off players and then feel that they're entitled to local loyalty simply for existing.